****for Everyone With Low Volume***

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Just got back from NYC. Every person I saw while I was out at the bars and clubs said the same thing about their iPhone. I talked to 3 people with one, one of them being a friend. All 3 said the volume was really low, further supporting my theory that this is a universal issue with the phone.

mblind

Jul 13, 2007
It IS a universal issue.. I have just been to the genius bar in Seattle, WA and they said it's a problem that Apple is aware of and that there is a fix on the way... I then called Apple support and they said that same thing.

No ETA was given.. Just that is a known issue and a priority for Apple to fix. I quote support..

"The fix is coming very soon, sorry that I cannot give an an exact time frame. But we are aware of the problem and it is being addressed."

Tech support also said that additional widgets are the way as well.. again.. not specific info was given

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal
I finally decided to do it. I went back to my nokia N75 wow what a difference I can actually use my speaker phone and it works not like the iPhone with the problem of volume too low. I can hear my N75 ring even in my pocket with no problems. I really think Apple mess up with the speaker they use for the iPhone. It definitely need to be louder/upgraded hopefully this will be fix in there next version and then I will get it. I have been using my N75 for 1 week now and I don't miss the iPhone I love to be able to put the ring tones to the person on my contacts, use my speaker phone and be able to hear my phone ring.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I don't usually use the speakerphone, but did today, and indeed I could have just as easily held the phone to my ear and not known the difference.
Hopefully an update will take care of this. I haven't been bothered by volume concerns with usual headset usage, but then again, I'm not usually in loud environments during calls. But I'm certainly game for a firmware update that addresses volume.

dogwonder

Jul 19, 2007
Low speaker volume on 3 phones

Ok.... after much reading about this in many forums, I'm telling my story.
I bought an iPhone the day of release (actually 1st in line) and immediately noticed the near inaudible speaker phone volume (voicemail and on a call). The reason this was noticed right away is because it is a very important function to me and I couldn't wait to try it out. Along with the mentioned areas, the volume is also low using the phone normal (holding to ear) and ringtone volume as well. I have never spent more than $50 on a phone prior to the 8gb iPhone and ALL of my phones (and other phones that i've used) have had much higher volume levels.
I am talking about the volume being all the way up on iPhone - still low on all accounts mentioned. On top of that, for the messages that i can make out (by holding close to face) - speaker sound is very tinny and distorted.

So - I decided to take the risk and send it in for repair (as everything else was perfect with the phone). They sent a loaner phone in the meantime and it's volume is no different. I just got my replacement phone yesterday, and guess what? ITS THE SAME..... so that's 3 phones with shitty volume/speakers! So, I call Apple back today and they deny that it's a huge problem and claim that iPhone speaker volume cannot be compared to other phones? The next step: I was told to go to nearest iPhone store and compare with their iPhones. That is actually 1 choice of store and it's ATT (next location is 120 miles away).
Bottom line is: they aren't doing anything about the speaker yet, and if you send it in - you will not get individual attention, just a replacement that could easily have the same and other issues.
I would also like to mention that (after just reading about the different versions of screen) the loaner phone is version 5 and the replacement phone is version 7. I have both phones right here and there is a definite difference in the screen brightness (5 is much brighter). There is no difference in speaker volume.

Sorry for the long tale, but sometimes details are necessary. I will go to ATT store tomorrow (7/25) and report back on what the other iPhones sound like. I will also try to use my SIM in those phones (as Apple tech blamed that too). I will try as many phones as they have available until I find one with better volume. To me, this is totally ridiculous and I feel cheated having spent $650, not to mention waiting in line over night.

LESLIEx317537

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Can someone check if sound comes from both speakers on the bottom.

My sound seems like its only coming from the left speaker. Unless it's only a one speaker phone and the other is a mic.

Just play a iPod song and put your finger over the holes to see if covering the left one makes the phones sound really low.

Thanks..

bmzero

Jul 10, 2007
Can someone check if sound comes from both speakers on the bottom.

My sound seems like its only coming from the left speaker. Unless it's only a one speaker phone and the other is a mic.

Just play a iPod song and put your finger over the holes to see if covering the left one makes the phones sound really low.

Thanks..
I believe one side is a speaker and the other side is the microphone.

.brit

LESLIEx317537

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
NM, my friend checked and yes, only the left speaker makes noise.

I guess the right is the mic. Boo, not stereo like my Sony Ericsson Walkman Phone W600 which you could hear from ten miles away it was so loud.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
I was in chipotle yesterday and couldn't even have a conversation. Just the back-round noise made it almost impossible to hear clearly.

hexonxonx

Silver
Hi all

Just wanted to let everyone here with low volume to try this process first before exchanging or returning you iPhone.

I simply did a restore on my phone after I goofed up some icons while modding my phone. After the restore, I was messing around with it and tried playing a song through the speaker, I had to turn doen the volume AND it wasn't even distorted on the highest setting, it was just too loud!

Also placing calls and turning on the speaker phone is much much louder too, I tried it in every room in my house and the volume was excellent no matter who I called. Volume through the ear piece also seems slightly louder.

I know this was suggested by someone else here, I read about it a few weeks ago and I don't know if it was suggested recently again in this thread.

Good luck with your phones, I love mine 100% now! I can hear!

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Hi all

Just wanted to let everyone here with low volume to try this process first before exchanging or returning you iPhone.

I simply did a restore on my phone after I goofed up some icons while modding my phone. After the restore, I was messing around with it and tried playing a song through the speaker, I had to turn doen the volume AND it wasn't even distorted on the highest setting, it was just too loud!

Also placing calls and turning on the speaker phone is much much louder too, I tried it in every room in my house and the volume was excellent no matter who I called. Volume through the ear piece also seems slightly louder.

I know this was suggested by someone else here, I read about it a few weeks ago and I don't know if it was suggested recently again in this thread.

Good luck with your phones, I love mine 100% now! I can hear!
I've had to restore my phone several times already because of other problems, it doesn't help. It's pretty obvious that the speaker sucks, and people keep coming up with these worthless remedies like it's going to fix the problem.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've had to restore my phone several times already because of other problems, it doesn't help. It's pretty obvious that the speaker sucks, and people keep coming up with these worthless remedies like it's going to fix the problem.
As far as speakerphone goes, I have several custom ringtones that are quite loud--enough to startle. While loud, they are still clear (clearer than my Treo with VolumeCare). I mean louder-than-YouTube (on the iPhone) loud.

In other words, the iPhone is capable of much louder sound than the speakerphone (in phone mode) currently delivers. I can't imagine Apple not doing something to help in this regard. Sure it might/will draw more battery power but I'll take that trade-off.

There isn't much to test as far as the handset speaker goes (not much else aside the phone app uses it), but I suspect it too could do more than what is possible now.

Finally, I wouldn't compare the iPhone to a regular phone, though I realize some of you have nothing else to compare to. My Treo, before adding an app to increase volume, was markedly worse than the iPhone. I nearly bought a PPC6700 and that was even worse than my Treo. Don't think the new PPC6800 is improved much either. Not defending the iPhone over this issue, as I want an update for it too, just trying to add some perspective.

--
Mike

Wangmaster

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I guess the right is the mic. Boo, not stereo like my Sony Ericsson Walkman Phone W600 which you could hear from ten miles away it was so loud.
I feel you on that, I had the Sony Ericsson s700i and my girlfriend had the s710a and it kills me when she goes "Our old phones...(anything from bluetooth file exchange to speaker sound, to sound quality...) :oops:

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Add custom ringtones with the new software, it makes it soo much louder. Yesterday for the first time I actually heard my iPhone ring when it was in my purse, I never could before. Very happy with the new ringtones. You can also play with the advanced features when creating the ringtones and it can be louder with some of the effects. I am super happy with the phone now!

chakraj

Jun 30, 2007
I have been one of the lucky ones. My phone has been perfect from the start and it has a 5 screen. However because my previouse pda phones have all been windows mobile. I like to reset and restore my phone for no reason at all. Well i had done a restore and everything was fine but then a few days later i used that restore file to create mu phonedmg folder. well when you do that the next time you restore your device you redownload the restore file because the origional is not all there anymore. Well on this download after my restore i was having volume issues that i never had before. So i deleated the restore file and redownloaded it again for the third time. after this restore it worked fine again. so anyway if you have been doing multiple restores without deleating the old file ou have been using the same file to restore with. maybee you need to download the restore file again?