For people who like to sync at work and home:

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I have manually updated SwapPhotos and SwapTunes for 1.1.3 so that it looks in the "mobile" directory now for the files it should swap.

You can download these updates below for a manual install. Drop them into your Applications directory and give them their 755 permissions accordingly (including the package contents).

You can alternately install SwapPhoto or SwapTunes from installer, and just overwrite their .sh files with the updated ones from inside the packages attached to this post.

---

If you're not aware of what these programs do, they basically swap out one iTunes or Photo library for a blank one. You can then sync the blank library to another desktop. Now you've got two libraries and can switch between both for viewing and syncing. Tapping the application icon switches between libraries, its that simple :)

Note, this will not allow you to sync someone else's iTunes music library to yours if the music is protected with DRM.

I use these for synching photos at work that I'm sent from my friends on IM. Rather than reupload them somewhere else for later sharing, I just sync them to my phone on my work iTunes. Same with music and movies, I get sent a lot of stuff at work, its amazing i get anything done, so I like to take it with me to share, again I swap my library out and sync up.

This essentially keeps me from having to wipe out my main libraries to sync with the desktop at work. Very handy indeed :)

Lastly -

Use at your own risk, blah blah blah, but you already know this :p It's been working fine for me for at least 3 days now, I just got antsy waiting for an official release so I took it upon myself since it was very basic, i.e. find->root replace->mobile, lol.

---

First Timers:

When you swap out to a blank library for the first time, double check this by launching photos or iTunes on your phone and check to make sure that you don't show any files.

From here do a sync with iTunes. iTunes will report that it can't find any records on your phone for a sync history and ask if it can restore from your last backup. This is not a full restore, but just a restore of the iTunes identifiers that it looks for when syncing.

From there, only sync the media that you want, don't double up and have it also sync the files you already have in your main (primary) library. I.E. at work i have music and video, but in this example I only want to sync video, so I'll uncheck the "sync music" button and just sync video in this case.

Attachments

Feb 7, 2008
cool i was waiting for this for the 1.1.3. i read your post quickly the first time and set their permissions but swaptunes wasn't working, so i came back to the post and noticed you wrote to set the permissions for the contents as well, after that everything worked fine. thanks!

Feb 24, 2008
I have manually updated SwapPhotos and SwapTunes for 1.1.3 so that it looks in the "mobile" directory now for the files it should swap.

You can download these updates below for a manual install. Drop them into your Applications directory and give them their 755 permissions accordingly (including the package contents).

You can alternately install SwapPhoto or SwapTunes from installer, and just overwrite their .sh files with the updated ones from inside the packages attached to this post.

---

If you're not aware of what these programs do, they basically swap out one iTunes or Photo library for a blank one. You can then sync the blank library to another desktop. Now you've got two libraries and can switch between both for viewing and syncing. Tapping the application icon switches between libraries, its that simple :)

Note, this will not allow you to sync someone else's iTunes music library to yours if the music is protected with DRM.

I use these for synching photos at work that I'm sent from my friends on IM. Rather than reupload them somewhere else for later sharing, I just sync them to my phone on my work iTunes. Same with music and movies, I get sent a lot of stuff at work, its amazing i get anything done, so I like to take it with me to share, again I swap my library out and sync up.

This essentially keeps me from having to wipe out my main libraries to sync with the desktop at work. Very handy indeed :)

Lastly -

Use at your own risk, blah blah blah, but you already know this :p It's been working fine for me for at least 3 days now, I just got antsy waiting for an official release so I took it upon myself since it was very basic, i.e. find->root replace->mobile, lol.

---

First Timers:

When you swap out to a blank library for the first time, double check this by launching photos or iTunes on your phone and check to make sure that you don't show any files.

From here do a sync with iTunes. iTunes will report that it can't find any records on your phone for a sync history and ask if it can restore from your last backup. This is not a full restore, but just a restore of the iTunes identifiers that it looks for when syncing.

From there, only sync the media that you want, don't double up and have it also sync the files you already have in your main (primary) library. I.E. at work i have music and video, but in this example I only want to sync video, so I'll uncheck the "sync music" button and just sync video in this case.
I'm a newb at this, so how do I give the folders and files 755 permissions?
Thanks!

Feb 24, 2008
OK, got it to work! Turns out I was missing a space in the middle! Now it works.

Thank you so much for posting this. I am very happy :)

aanndrew1

Feb 25, 2008
hmm :S
it wont let me download swaptunes on my 1.1.3 :S it says need 1.1.2 confused

aanndrew1

Feb 25, 2008
hmm is there anyway to do this via iPhone browser?

Feb 24, 2008
hmm is there anyway to do this via iPhone browser?

You should be able to: Just drop it into your 'applications' folder, then open term-vt100 and set the permissions to 755 by entering these commands EXACTLY:

chmod -R 755 /Applications/*

Yes, the last is an asterisk.

Hope this helps!

aanndrew1

Feb 25, 2008
yess! THANKYOU :D wooooo

i really like this app its cool thankyou :D