For people who's computer isn't recognizing the iPhone

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
For those of you that are having the same problem as me (if any), let's try to collaborate in this thread to possibly get it resolved.

I have Windows XP SP2, on a Dell diminsion E510. I downloaded iTunes the other day, and updated yesterday afternoon to the new 7.3 version. Upon getting the iPhone, I connected it to the USB port in the front and it said something like "new hardware present" and looked like it recognized the iPhone. Nothing ever came up in iTunes. I re-installed iTunes and still nothing.

Went to a family members house and activated it there. The whole process went smoothly and from the time I plugged the iPhone into the computer, to the time that it was activated and I received a text message was under 5 minutes. So in that regard, I feel bad for people who are waiting hours for the phone to activate. When I brought the phone home and plugged it in after being activated, it was reading as a digital camera and prompting me to open it with a program.

Now when I plug it in, it does nothing. I think it is charging, because I see the battery, but nothing appears in iTunes and nothing else comes up from windows.

So I'm thinking that I have shitty USB ports, that aren't working or aren't compatible with this device. I'm going this morning to get one of those PCI -USB adapters that you plug into the back of your computer and it gives you additional USB ports. I'm going to make sure that these are 2.0.

I will post results after trying this. If anyone has any other comments or suggestions, post them here.