for some reason my iPhone slowed down?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I believe the iPhone uses its own memory space to operate itself, but i have noticed it slowed down at opening txt messages, even tho i clear convos once in a while, also sometimes if i go on yahoo it sometimes lags big time in typing in search? i cleared cache and history and cookies, it kinda stayed the same.. at the moment i have about 10GB of video and pics on there and its completely in stock form from ATT and no programs installed at all.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Like any computer, the iPhone needs an occasional burp. Clear the cache and browsing history, and perform a reset. If it continues to give you grief, you can always restore. I perform a reset at least every couple of days.

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
Like any computer, the iPhone needs an occasional burp. Clear the cache and browsing history, and perform a reset. If it continues to give you grief, you can always restore. I perform a reset at least every couple of days.
what is your procedure for 'reset'? tia

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Push the home button and the Wake/off button simultaneously. I've read that an even more effective method is to just leave it on the floor and let the dog use it as a chew toy. :)

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
Push the home button and the Wake/off button simultaneously. I've read that an even more effective method is to just leave it on the floor and let the dog use it as a chew toy. :)
chew toy method, check! lol!

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I only experience these type slow downs when I'm using EDGE.
probably because edge is significantly slower than wi-fi

but im sure if you have been installing a lot of 3rd party apps - that would slow it down
i believe the phone only reserves like 300mbs for apps so that would definitely slow it down if you had a lot of them (of course this only applies if you jailbreak your phone)

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
probably because edge is significantly slower than wi-fi

but im sure if you have been installing a lot of 3rd party apps - that would slow it down
i believe the phone only reserves like 300mbs for apps so that would definitely slow it down if you had a lot of them (of course this only applies if you jailbreak your phone)
That is Steve Job's issue with the SDK in a nutshell. He only wants one application (3rd party, that is) running at a time.

sme636500

Aug 15, 2007
California
That is Steve Job's issue with the SDK in a nutshell. He only wants one application (3rd party, that is) running at a time.

Well isn't the phone supposed to be able to multi-task, according to Apple. Thats why its OS X...am I wrong?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
That's the rub. OS X is supposed to be ideal for multi-tasking. What technical reason would there be for not permitting multi-tasking: device stability; bandwidth usage; battery consumption; unlocking functionality that Apple would otherwise like to keep close to its chest?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
That's the rub. OS X is supposed to be ideal for multi-tasking. What technical reason would there be for not permitting multi-tasking: device stability; bandwidth usage; battery consumption; unlocking functionality that Apple would otherwise like to keep close to its chest?
i think the first reason is the right one
look at everything Apple realeases - it has to operate perfectly every time
if there was multi-tasking of apps then that leaves a possiblitiy of lag/crashing

thats why i advocate jailbreaking - because its worth the risk
if i didn't take risks then i woudnt be typing on this computer i built lol

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
i think the first reason is the right one
look at everything Apple realeases - it has to operate perfectly every time
if there was multi-tasking of apps then that leaves a possiblitiy of lag/crashing

thats why i advocate jailbreaking - because its worth the risk
if i didn't take risks then i woudnt be typing on this computer i built lol
Other than adding some much needed functionality, does jail breaking improve stability, power management, and control over system resources: the ability to assign CPU resources based on priority, and the ability to know when the wireless connection is spinning its wheels.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
So you don't have to connect to iTunes to back up my phone numbers and pics to be ale to reset? because I'm sitting here doing nothing till 6am and reset sounds tempting!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
So you don't have to connect to iTunes to back up my phone numbers and pics to be ale to reset? because I'm sitting here doing nothing till 6am and reset sounds tempting!
Reset will not affect the device storage. Restoring will erase your device if you don't select the option for restoring with your most recent backup. That is, if you completely restore and choose to re-activate.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
A reset won't do anything but restore all the settings to factory default. Hold the sleep button and the home button for about 10 seconds until the phone restarts. You should not lose anything.