For someone who has an iPod touch

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Please do us a favor!

1. Hack into your iPod with iBrickr or WinSCP.
2. Explore to Applications and copy the iTunes.app directory to your hard drive.
3. Zip it and post here for all of us desperate iPhone users so we can use it to!

Please. It will take 10 Min tops!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I know I've seen some people on here that bought an iPod touch with their $100 credit. If you've got one, I'll walk you through the whole process, it will be really easy I promise!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Are they really that easy to mod? I mean has it been verified by others? I went over to macrumors.com and didn't notice any threads in their ipod forum about running NES on their touch, and I'd suspect thats the first thing most everyone does.

Anyway, I'm going to buy one of these new ipods for my girlfriend since she just returned her smartphone hoping it would be like an iPhone. She ended up with some LG iceream sammwhich looking phone in the end. I reckon that ipod will fill in the blanks for the other stuff she wants the iPhone for.

I'll gladly hack it once I get it, but I'd want to be 100% sure before doing so.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Are they really that easy to mod? I mean has it been verified by others? I went over to macrumors.com and didn't notice any threads in their ipod forum about running NES on their touch, and I'd suspect thats the first thing most everyone does.

Anyway, I'm going to buy one of these new ipods for my girlfriend since she just returned her smartphone hoping it would be like an iPhone. She ended up with some LG iceream sammwhich looking phone in the end. I reckon that ipod will fill in the blanks for the other stuff she wants the iPhone for.

I'll gladly hack it once I get it, but I'd want to be 100% sure before doing so.
Maybe they don't really know about hacking it yet, assuming it's too hard. But then again, I guess it's possible that iBrickr and AppTap aren't compatible with iPod touch, but I would think they would be since it's practically the same software and file system structure.

So yeah, just PM me or something when you get the touch and we'll see what we can do. Actually, I'm sure you know how to do it just as well as I do though, you're a fellow hacker aren't you?

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
You also have to understand that they have to reload the firmware back onto the phone. So the software may not be able to grab the iPhone touch firmware to do it's thing. I may be wrong, but just something to think about.

- Garrett

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
While I would imagine the Touch will be (or is) hacked, I would bet money you can't just use the current version iBrickr/AppTap to unlock it.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

ChemicalWeather

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Oh boy, that makes me very nervous about the next iPhone update.

I for one will not install an update that kills access to 3rd-party apps, particularly if all the update does is install an ATM machine into my iphone--to generate $$$$ for Apple.

--
Mike
agreed. but they have said they have a neutral stance on third party apps... so they cant really stop us from having them, just make it hard to get them

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
agreed. but they have said they have a neutral stance on third party apps... so they cant really stop us from having them, just make it hard to get them
I thought the guy from Apple who said that called back and retracted/changed his comments regarding that.

Regardless I based my comment on the fact that the iPod Touch is so similar to the iphone--and that it likely is using a more-recent version of software/OS. That and these comments from the Tuaw article:
"Jailbreak seems increasingly unlikely at this point."

"Without Jailbreak, there's no way to install applications or really do anything else."

Moreover, if it does happen I don't think we can rally much against Apple. Even here on EIP there are some people so emotionally attached to Apple they think we are "insulting" Apple by hacking our iPhones. Pathetic, but true. Those people will not only not support any kind of petition, etc., to Apple but they will likely rally against our position.

Sure hope this doesn't happen.

--
Mike

ChemicalWeather

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I thought the guy from Apple who said that called back and retracted/changed his comments regarding that.

Regardless I based my comment on the fact that the iPod Touch is so similar to the iphone--and that it likely is using a more-recent version of software/OS. That and these comments from the Tuaw article:
"Jailbreak seems increasingly unlikely at this point."

"Without Jailbreak, there's no way to install applications or really do anything else."

Moreover, if it does happen I don't think we can rally much against Apple. Even here on EIP there are some people so emotionally attached to Apple they think we are "insulting" Apple by hacking our iPhones. Pathetic, but true. Those people will not only not support any kind of petition, etc., to Apple but they will likely rally against our position.

Sure hope this doesn't happen.

--
Mike
mhm, but if they do decided to stop us from jailbreaking, maybe those who already have will be fine =D ..well let's just hope nothing happens

Sep 18, 2007
I got my ipod touch yesterday and I was wondering if there is any way to get 3rd party apps on it because I want maps and some other things? Also do you guys know of anyone who is working on it or not...