For someone who has used iTunes a lot...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I have always been very frustrated with iTunes and I'm wondering if someone can help me.

I have a music folder where I put all my downloaded music (D:\My Music). When I add this folder in iTunes, it puts all the music into iTunes and then will sync it all to my iPhone when I connect it. But since I'm constantly adding new songs to My Music folder, I have to keep manually adding these new files into my iTunes library. The problem is that sometimes I don't remember what the new songs are so I just end up deleting the entire library out of iTunes and reimporting the whole folder again, just to guarantee I get all the newly downloaded songs.

Now my question is, is there a way to just have iTunes automatically communicate with My Music folder and add new songs as I put them in the folder without having to do the File--> Add file to library function and then rack my brain trying to remember what all the new songs are?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
You could have the folder display in order of date modified, so the new ones appear at the top.
That's a good idea, but how do I remember which ones of the newest songs have been imported? I'll be able to see which songs are the newest, but I don't remember how far down the list has been imported because I can't remember the last time I put new songs in iTunes, you know?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Empty your current iTunes library.

Go go to the advance tab in options and change the location of your iTunes library to d:\my music.

Check the box that says keep music organized.

Click OK.
This will rebuild your library.

Everytime you open iTunes it will see the new files (unorganized)
rename and move them to Artist|Album|. This helps when you download a lot off the net and the file names have a bunch of crap in them.

This will also keep all your music in one spot. You have files in both your iTunes library and your my music folder with your current set up.

Build a smart play list with date added = the last 7 days. Give it a limit of 3 or 7 gigs. Check live updating.
This way you will always have a play list with all your new stuff on it. If you sync this play list with your iPhone, you will always have your new stuff on the phone.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Empty your current iTunes library.

Go go to the advance tab in options and change the location of your iTunes library to d:\my music.

Check the box that says keep music organized.

Click OK.
This will rebuild your library.

Everytime you open iTunes it will see the new files (unorganized)
rename and move them to Artist|Album|. This helps when you download a lot off the net and the file names have a bunch of crap in them.

This will also keep all your music in one spot. You have files in both your iTunes library and your my music folder with your current set up.

Build a smart play list with date added = the last 7 days. Give it a limit of 3 or 7 gigs. Check live updating.
This way you will always have a play list with all your new stuff on it. If you sync this play list with your iPhone, you will always have your new stuff on the phone.
Cool thanks. Just one more question, will this create a bunch of folders and subfolders based on artists and albums? Because I'd rather just have all my music files in one folder with no subfolders...

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Cool thanks. Just one more question, will this create a bunch of folders and subfolders based on artists and albums? Because I'd rather just have all my music files in one folder with no subfolders...
It builds sub folders, but when you are looking at your music in iTunes you do not see this info.