For those that have Google Voice and high-speed internet

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just wanted to share this little setup I have for staying available for communication.
First, I have my iPhone and my highspeed internet access.
I also have my Google Voice account /grand Central account.
Next I have a magic jack. Yeah, that thing you see in Best Buy, and those hokey commercials... But I have to tell you that if you ever considered having home phone service, or if you have it and are looking for a MUCH cheaper option, this is it. $20 A year. That's it, and you can pretty much take it with you anywhere, including many places over-seas. The quality is great, and no one ever knows when I am on it.

So This is my setup.
I now give out my Google Voice number as my main number ( I also recently paid $10 to get a local area code, as the one I had before was for outside the greater metro area.)
So if someone calls my google voice number, I have it ring to all my available phones. My cell, my home, and even my office between 8am and 5PM monday through friday. The Google Voice account announces the caller, and you press 1 to accept. if it goes to voicemail, then I get a text on my iPhone with a transcription of the message, and I also get an email with a link to listen to the actual message if the transcription is a little garbled- which has happened with some of my fast speaking friends and those that talk in low tones.

The Magic jack is $40 when you first buy it and it covers your first year.
If you are lucky enough to have a Google Voice account, then that will make your life even easier. 1 number to ring them all....

Just thought I would share my setup. It's going to cut down on some of my calls that eat up my battery and minutes on the iPhone.

And when I go to Ecuador in October for a Wedding, I am bringing a wifi laptop and my magic jack and a cheap standard phone. People can call my google number and reach me down there without the fear of crazy international calling rates. Cheaper than Skype if there are any rates at all, but mostly just plain Free (or as close as free can be for $20 a year)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm waiting for a Google Voice invite from Google. Is there any faster way to get an invite?

Do you have to have the GV app on on your phone for that to work, and since Apple rejected the app, is your phone jailbroken with the Cydia GV app?

I've always wondered what the advantages of Magic Jack are over Skype. I guess it's just that people can call the GV # for free and when used with MJ, it's free, where as with Skype, it's 2 cents a minute if they aren't calling from Skype on their phone or computer. Although Skype to Skype is free.

Hawk, are there any other advantages of MJ over Skype?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Besides $20 a year, I don't know. I mean, Magic Jack is more comparable to Vonage than Skype. You can use MJ on the PC like you do Skype, but you can also use it as a home phone like Vonage, which is generally how I use it.
Lemme check and see if I have any invites at all for either GV or Grand Central. If I do, I'll PM you for your email.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So, do you have Google Voice on your iPhone then?

I'd really appreciate an invite if you have one or get one in the future as it may be a very long wait for Google to send me one.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The bad news is that I don't see a way to invite anyone to GV or GrandCentral at the moment.
I Wish I had the GV app on my iPhone. I access it through the website, which works well enough for the time being. I'm trying to find a way to get it without having to jailbreak my phone.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
So, do you have Google Voice on your iPhone then?

I'd really appreciate an invite if you have one or get one in the future as it may be a very long wait for Google to send me one.
Unfortunately Google didn't give invites to users to share like they did when GMail was introduced. My request for the invite was granted within 72 hours or so. I told another friend and he received his rather quickly too so maybe your request is caught up in some electronic black hole. Can you send another request from a different email address?

Also, the web app works beautifully. There really is no need for an iPhone specific app honestly.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, there is a bit of a difference between the web app and the iPhone app, mainly the ability to direct dial through the app with no ring back, and direct SMS. I'm happy with the web app, but would LOVE to have the iPhone app.