For those thinking 1.1.1 will be jailbreaked...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You might be in for a long wait. Everything I have read seems to indicate that there has been virtually no progress made in doing so.

If jailbreaking 1.0.2 and prior is like going to the moon, jailbreaking 1.1.1 is like going to another galaxy. The difference is astronomical.

I write this as it seems the consensus is that jailbreaking 1.1.1 is no big thing, and that it'll be knocked out in a week or two.

Well I predict it won't be for months, if ever.

The rumors you hear about a 1.1.1 unlock are just that: about an unlock. And indeed I do expect this to appear within a week or so. But that is merely dealing with using carriers other than AT&T, and unbricking currently bricked iPhones. It has very little to do with jailbreaking and using third-party apps.

The encryption used in 1.1.1, and the iPod Touch, is very strong. It cannot be brute-force attacked, and without the key we are pretty much dead in the water.

I truly hope I am wrong about this, but as of right now it's not looking too good. So those of you on the fence about adding third-party applications, and are thinking of updating under the impression that a 1.1.1 third-party application solution is right around the corner, might want to reconsider whether to upgrade or not.

Time will tell.

--
Mike

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Fortunately there are several methods for rolling back your iPhone to 1.0.2 as well.

I was considering doing AppTap before 1.1.1 but the urge isn't that strong anymore... if it ever becomes available again I may give it a shot though.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Fortunately there are several methods for rolling back your iPhone to 1.0.2 as well.

I was considering doing AppTap before 1.1.1 but the urge isn't that strong anymore... if it ever becomes available again I may give it a shot though.
You are actually the type of person I started this thread for, tharmsen.

I didn't want to muddy the OP and discuss the downgrade process, but yes indeed, that is possible (did it myself).

But to be safe I do recommend, even if you have only a passing interest in adding apps down the road, grabbing all relevant files now while they are readily available. And not to state the obvious, but also be wary of any future update to iTunes or the iPhone that might take away the ability to roll back.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
If I don't have 1.1.1 installed on my iPhone AND have 3rd party apps by this time next month its time to check out another phone.

Using technology the way I want has always been a priority of mine, and would probably explain why I haven't updated my fleet of Macs since Apple went Intel.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
If I don't have 1.1.1 installed on my iPhone AND have 3rd party apps by this time next month its time to check out another phone.

Using technology the way I want has always been a priority of mine, and would probably explain why I haven't updated my fleet of Macs since Apple went Intel.
What's wrong with just sticking with 1.0.2 indefinitely? Updates have always been a pure bonus anyway. I've had cellphones for 10 years and never had to rely on updates before, why now?

justahsquirrel

Silver
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY

I fail to see the point in the update. For me, the 3rd party apps are a plus to my iPhone. The phone in itself is a wonderful piece of technology and its powerful beyond any other cellphone I've seen out there. Now, failure for Apple to use the iPhone for all its capable of is down right crazy to me. It's like having a glass of water in the desert and not being able to drink it. Even though we had to do a hack or two to get a 3rd party application on the phone, I think its well worth it. Its a starting point and Apple should follow suit and not just lock the phone to what they want. What ever happen to what the consumer wants and not what the company thinks is best for them.
For me to update to 1.1.1 might be a heart racing experience because, yes I did jailbreak my phone. So that would mean I would have to restore to 1.0.2 and then update to 1.1.1, which from what I understand still bricks your phone. I've heard from a few people that never even hacked there phone with mods that the update kills the phone. So as for now I'm gonna stick with 1.0.2 just cause I can do more with my phone.
just my 2 cents.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

I would say the same thing--and I really don't expect to see a change in a month--but the problem for me is, "where would I go?"

I've already decided that I won't go to anything with a smaller or lower resolution screen. That knocks just about everything out of the water.

Next on the list is Web browsing at least as fast as I have now.

Then there's the fantastic scalable fonts and graphics engine. No way do I want to deal with a handful of fonts and sizes again, so I might as well throw this into the mix too.

I'm sure I have other "must haves" now too, but even just with the above items I don't see any phones on the current landscape that can do it all--oh, and I must have full WiFi too!

So I have a feeling I will be with a 1.0.2 iPhone for some time to come.

--
Mike

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks for the info, Tinman. I have not had the time to follow any of the boards or the IRC channels this time around.

This is pretty sad. I think Apple is doing this for a combination reasons:

- Apple's generally closed nature
- Protecting revenue for AT&T (and themselves) from applications like VOIP
- Ensuring stability of the device in users' hands

The last point shouldn't be underestimated. We all know the blessing/curse nature of third-party apps on Treo's. Granted OSX is a far superior OS than Palm OS, but this is still a serious issue.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Sorry but its as stable as

The iPhone is no stabler than the any WM5 phone I've ever used - this is just a red herring - unstable 3rd part applications do not cause networks to crash (otherwise Win Mobile and it early incarnations would have crash them hourly in their early days) - what causes the networks to crash is unstable modem software and unstable communication software. The real reason (I believe) for 1.1.1 being so tough to crack is it is the only way for Apple to ensure the phone cannot be unlocked - from what I've read the IPSF software pretty much breaks the locking mechanism - activation is now all that 'locks' the iPhone down - without the ability to jailbreak you can't activate even if the phone is unlocked - Apple has decided the standard GSM method for 'locking' a phone do not work so they have come up with another.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well if this pans out to be true, then I too will be rocking 1.0.2 for quite some time. I have no intention on going to 1.1.1 until it is in fact able to be modded. I could really care less about unlocking the iPhone but I would definitely like to be able to customize my own phone to my liking.

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I guess I will just have to stick with 1.0.2 until some really good updates come out.

Hopefully apps keep getting developed.

Or if and when they start selling third party apps on iTunes I will just have to see how much those are. I hate selling out though.

Aug 1, 2007
TinMan, have you ever had a PSP? The first few firmwares are hard to brick, then hackers master the firmwares.. give it time.. may take about a month, then the next firmware may be harder or a lot easier pending on what they do to it next time. trust me, it will work out fine.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
As you have read this week that Adobe rolled out the new Flash for cell phones this will be coming to us very soon, maybe this month, and what if Apple adds cut and paste, then how can you stay at 1.0.2? this makes quite a puzzle to figure out. I am staying at 1.0.2 for the time being.

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Just havin' too much fun with 1.0.2. No one really knows when that time will be but I think the Dev Team will not be defeated or embarrassed. The pressure's on.... I'd say it's closer than you think. But then again, that's just another guess.....

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
As you have read this week that Adobe rolled out the new Flash for cell phones this will be coming to us very soon, maybe this month, and what if Apple adds cut and paste, then how can you stay at 1.0.2? this makes quite a puzzle to figure out. I am staying at 1.0.2 for the time being.

Well I've never really had a need for cut and paste but the possibility of Flash would definitely make the switch to the latest version extremely tempting. I think that if Apple included Flash and MMS in the next update, I would go ahead and do it, but once again, cut and paste just isn't that important.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The iPhone is no stabler than the any WM5 phone I've ever used - this is just a red herring - unstable 3rd part applications do not cause networks to crash (otherwise Win Mobile and it early incarnations would have crash them hourly in their early days) - what causes the networks to crash is unstable modem software and unstable communication software. The real reason (I believe) for 1.1.1 being so tough to crack is it is the only way for Apple to ensure the phone cannot be unlocked - from what I've read the IPSF software pretty much breaks the locking mechanism - activation is now all that 'locks' the iPhone down - without the ability to jailbreak you can't activate even if the phone is unlocked - Apple has decided the standard GSM method for 'locking' a phone do not work so they have come up with another.
My stability comment was about phone stability, not network stability. 3rd party apps can result in an unstable iPhone. It's a double-edged sword.

Your seem to imply that the encryption will hinder unlocking which is the opposite of what tinman said. Can we have you guys debate this? :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i have no great desire to update to 1.1.1... that would be like "updating" to the stone age.

I am wondering if Apple will actually get off of their ass and release an update that will make me WANT to ditch my 3PAs for new features.

fat chance, methinks.

Clayfree

Jul 3, 2007
I too will be sticking with 1.0.2 for a while and maybe forever. I was not going to upgrade until 1.1.1 was broken. I really like the 3rd party apps. It's a beautiful piece of equipment but I'm not going to have any company completely control my phone. I unlocked my phone even though I currently use AT&T and really like the service and data, now I'm glad I did, once I've seen how Apple and AT&T act I like having options. I'm sure Apple will be adding something I want in the future but I will probably already have it in a 3rd party app anyway. When I bought the phone I expected an update soon that would include Chat, etc, instead we got the iTunes store and some bricking functionality, I think it's says a lot that this took priotity over adding chat functionality and other requests. I'm sure at some point Apple will force an iTunes update and in turn a firmware update. When that happens I will stop using iTunes and just load with iBrickr. Once Apple announced the iTunes store and Starbucks music I realized what they had planned for the bottom 4 spaces on the homescreen. It was that weekend that I jailbroke my phone.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My stability comment was about phone stability, not network stability. 3rd party apps can result in an unstable iPhone. It's a double-edged sword.

Your seem to imply that the encryption will hinder unlocking which is the opposite of what tinman said. Can we have you guys debate this? :)
I'm not sure there is anything to debate, considering the iPhone has been locked down to match the iPod Touch, which has no phone at all.

--
Mike

ucla24

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
I will update to 1.1.1 when all my apps are available. If this never happens, I will never update iTunes or my iPhone. It works great, as is. I'll stay at 1.0.2 until I sell my iPhone for iPhone v2.