For those thinking 1.1.1 will be jailbreaked...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
As you have read this week that Adobe rolled out the new Flash for cell phones this will be coming to us very soon, maybe this month, and what if Apple adds cut and paste, then how can you stay at 1.0.2? this makes quite a puzzle to figure out. I am staying at 1.0.2 for the time being.
well if all that happens like you say then I will update! But until that happens we'll stay here.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'm not sure there is anything to debate, considering the iPhone has been locked down to match the iPod Touch, which has no phone at all.

--
Mike
Well, you said the encryption issue has little to do with unlocking and that unlocking may well happen in a week. Tdegriez said the encryption was done to prevent unlocking. Seems like a straight contradiction and it would be interesting to hear how you arrived at your opposite conclusions given the same evidence.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
I never modded my iPhone at all so I was happy with the update.

The thing that bugs me is we all know there are a lot of different features missing in the iPhone that should be there. Video recording, copy paste, voice recorder, native games... and most of these have been added by ppl in their free time.

If Apple wants to keep the iPhone closed from third parties that's fine with me, but atleast add the features that we know are more then possible. Or better yet bring these ppl in who created these different apps that a lot of different ppl liked and fine tune them and add them to the iPhone with offical updates.

In other words, stop sittting on your hands when it comes to adding features that 5 year old cellphones already have.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I used to think I understood why Apple wanted to keep the iPhone locked. First, third party apps could be used to do things like make free phone calls with Skype, which would be bad for AT&T. Second, letting people choose their carrier would lose Apple their $11 a month from AT&T per iPhone user. These are good reasons for Apple to keep the phone locked, and I have respect for that decision.

But then, the iPod Touch came out. What we've seen is that they are maintaining the same level of security when there's no way to use Skype or another carrier with an iPod. This proved to me that Apple is just really overly stingy about what they allow their products to do. I can't think of any security threat to having the iPod Touch be unlocked to third party apps.

They must have some sort of hidden agenda we don't understand.

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
I used to think I understood why Apple wanted to keep the iPhone locked. First, third party apps could be used to do things like make free phone calls with Skype, which would be bad for AT&T. Second, letting people choose their carrier would lose Apple their $11 a month from AT&T per iPhone user. These are good reasons for Apple to keep the phone locked, and I have respect for that decision.

But then, the iPod Touch came out. What we've seen is that they are maintaining the same level of security when there's no way to use Skype or another carrier with an iPod. This proved to me that Apple is just really overly stingy about what they allow their products to do. I can't think of any security threat to having the iPod Touch be unlocked to third party apps.

They must have some sort of hidden agenda we don't understand.

this might by why http://features.engadget.com/2007/09/18/switched-on-touched-by-a-hacker/

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
I never modded my iPhone at all so I was happy with the update.

The thing that bugs me is we all know there are a lot of different features missing in the iPhone that should be there. Video recording, copy paste, voice recorder, native games... and most of these have been added by ppl in their free time.

If Apple wants to keep the iPhone closed from third parties that's fine with me, but atleast add the features that we know are more then possible. Or better yet bring these ppl in who created these different apps that a lot of different ppl liked and fine tune them and add them to the iPhone with offical updates.

In other words, stop sittting on your hands when it comes to adding features that 5 year old cellphones already have.
Perhaps the reason they are taking so long to add in other features is because adding all of them in a single update would mean a much larger file to download. Not to mention, they also need time to test every feature they desire to add. They will come, maybe not all but they will come and if they don't, then use the feedback like crazy so Apple knows there's a high demand. I'm fine with monthly or even every month updates since it means the team has been given plenty of time to work out any possible kinks. Plus the smaller they can keep those updates, the better since I won't have to wait too long for the iPhone to be updated.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
What's wrong with just sticking with 1.0.2 indefinitely? Updates have always been a pure bonus anyway. I've had cellphones for 10 years and never had to rely on updates before, why now?
For starters, I'd really like to have Video-Out for my many out of town travels. Secondly I don't think I should have to compromise the integrity of my system's security updates for the sake of eating power pellets while being chased by ghosts during lunch. I have a lot of valuable information on my phone, and the "always connected" aspect of the iPhone leaves me weary at the thought of how sophisticated hackers have become with web-based attacks to mine such data.

That sucks yo!

I would say the same thing--and I really don't expect to see a change in a month--but the problem for me is, "where would I go?"

I've already decided that I won't go to anything with a smaller or lower resolution screen. That knocks just about everything out of the water.
I'm in the same boat here. I fired up my iPAQ a few days ago and I seemed to have forgotten just how bad it's screen and resolution were. It was garbage.

Next on the list is Web browsing at least as fast as I have now.

Then there's the fantastic scalable fonts and graphics engine. No way do I want to deal with a handful of fonts and sizes again, so I might as well throw this into the mix too.

I'm sure I have other "must haves" now too, but even just with the above items I don't see any phones on the current landscape that can do it all--oh, and I must have full WiFi too!

So I have a feeling I will be with a 1.0.2 iPhone for some time to come.

--
Mike
I don't know, that last bit just sounds like luxuries, and while they do enhance the overall experience, they do not prevent you from doing things otherwise. I still read AvantGo on my Palm enabled watch because its a helluva lot faster to get to the information I want in a pinch than trying to do the same on an EDGE connection with the iPhone.

As for me, I can ditch the iPhone and go back to what I was doing before this, and thats using a UMPC for my mobile computing needs. I have no problems going back to using a mobile phone for what it's intended to do, being just a phone and being very good at it.

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I fired up my iPAQ a few days ago and I seemed to have forgotten just how bad it's screen and resolution were. It was garbage.
Sell it to me then. No, seriously.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
I stated this in a previous post that it seems to me that Apple plans on selling applications for the phone which is why they are so hell bend on locking everyone else out. It's the only logical reason I can come up with as to why spend so much money on code that locks it up.

I also think the "keeping the device stable" aspect is a poor one. What percentage of the iPhone market do you think we represent? I guarantee it's a rather small one. your average iPhone user has no idea that you can do any of this stuff. I personally know 7 people with iPhones and only mine and my wifes have anything beyond stock on it. Just because software is available doesn't mean everyone is going to use it. I had a WM5 phone prior to this. I had 3rd party software on there. Yes, there were some applications that made the phone a little funky here and there. Wisebar Advance Desktop was a brilliant program, but depending on the theme being used and complexity of it would act a little funky. If it got to be too irradic, no problem, change the theme or remove the program. My point is, if people want a phone that works as perfect as it is supposed to, then they can choose not to install other software. but let the people who don't mind giving the phone a restart every other day the opportunity to enjoy the device they paid good money for and just want to see used to it's potential.

I'm still on 1.0.1, I didn't feel like remodding my phone for the little tweaks that 1.0.2 offered. I will stay here for as long as it takes. Flash, copy paste, MMS, all nice things to have. But here's the bottom line for me. In the bathroom in my office, I don't get any cellular signal. Nothing will replace screwing around in Finder, or playing NES while enjoying my quiet thinking time. Same thing when I'm flying. Same thing when I'm hanging out at the park with my friend's 4 year old daughter and she wants me to take silly pictures so she can draw on them with Sketches.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
But here's the bottom line for me. In the bathroom in my office, I don't get any cellular signal. Nothing will replace screwing around in Finder, or playing NES while enjoying my quiet thinking time.

The 'When I'm On The Crapper I Need My Friggin' 3rd Party Apps' argument. I like it! :)

I alos agree that it seems more and more like the real reason for Apple's vigorous efforts to lockout apps will be that they'll look to sell their own and closely controlled others' apps via iTunes ...

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I had to post to nit-pick that it's "JAILBROKEN" not "JAILBREAKED". :cool:

/spelling and grammar nazi here
//so sorry

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
Perhaps the reason they are taking so long to add in other features is because adding all of them in a single update would mean a much larger file to download. Not to mention, they also need time to test every feature they desire to add. They will come, maybe not all but they will come and if they don't, then use the feedback like crazy so Apple knows there's a high demand. I'm fine with monthly or even every month updates since it means the team has been given plenty of time to work out any possible kinks. Plus the smaller they can keep those updates, the better since I won't have to wait too long for the iPhone to be updated.
They've had 3 months now. Why is it modders and hackers can create voice recording, video recording, and native games apps in that amount of time, but Apple can't manage one of them. Probably too much time focusing their energies on iTunes wifi and locking down the iPhone?

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone overall, but I wish they add atleast the basic features that have been around for years in other cellphones.

oldskool

Sep 23, 2007
i just want my MMS... dammit. thats all i want.

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
There's definitely something big going on with the Dev Team here
It seems a new exploit has been discovered that might help in cracking 1.1.1 soon by the Dev Team at Hackintosh, claiming to have succeeded in code execution. What will inevitably follow is a code and a guide. This is Big! This seems to be reminiscent of the PSP/Sony showdown that the hackers cracked a year an a half ago involving a TIFF exploit.
They are definitely up to something for both the Touch and the iPhone. Good luck Dev Team. Here we go!
After all, this a new season for "Prison Break".

Read the latest on Decryption

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
all i want is just copy n paste and sms delivery report that's all i need.:laugh2::laugh2:

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
TinMan, have you ever had a PSP? The first few firmwares are hard to brick, then hackers master the firmwares.. give it time.. may take about a month, then the next firmware may be harder or a lot easier pending on what they do to it next time. trust me, it will work out fine.
bout time someone else mentioned the psp beside me... The way to get things done as figured out by the creators of the hacks for the psp is not to try to patch the firmware thats already on the phone....

The key is to create a program that loads firmware other than iTunes and to modify and repack your oen firmware.... So it would take some rewriting if the code to create a 1.0.2 with the new bqseband and new toys....

Or we could just create 3rd party apps to do the little extras that are in 1.1.1

Just some ideas...