For those thinking 1.1.1 will be jailbreaked...

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Or we could just create 3rd party apps to do the little extras that are in 1.1.1

Just some ideas...

If it were that easy i would have written them myself. The problem is we have no SDK to work on. Without that we can't change the firmware and we can't do embedded things like copy paste. MMS needs to be able to talk to cingular so it can send it to the correct carrier. Again we need to know how cingular handles the information. Right now all we are doing is runnign programs off of a comand prompt, but we aren't "inside" the OS

BTW looks like the dev team have been able to get that buffer overflow (big step in hacking). I'm not into PSP's, but I see it's just like the PSP hack. they send a malformed TIFF image to safari to make it crash and read the buffer overflow then send some simple code to make it do what they want. This is all good news for us and I'm sure they'll get a
method to us fairly soon.

Perhaps the reason they are taking so long to add in other features is because adding all of them in a single update would mean a much larger file to download.
I don't think file sizes are entering into this at all, heck, MS SP1 for Vista is going to be over 1GB per their release notes! Apple has other reasons known only in the iGenda (I :) that term)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
1.1.1 is dying. Check here.
That's just regurgitating the same thing that was mentioned on IRC yesterday.

The devs didn't seem to think anything was going to happen soon. It's the innocents who have taken that morsel of info and are acting like jailbreak is mere hours away. I'm still not convinced it will be soon, but I sure would like to be wrong about it.

--
Mike

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
1.1.1 is worth if for me just to have the TV out.

All the little 3rd party apps were mostly useless to me anyway. YMMV.

I have a DVD player in my pocket now. I love it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
NO soup for you! :p
LOL. For the record neither "jailbroken" nor "jailbreaked" are words that are in dictionaries ("jail broken," yes). I preferred the way "jailbreaked" looked in the title too. In a world of p0wnd I wasn't that concerned about it and looked at it as an extension of the app jailbreak...

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I was just about to post on the TIFF exploit actually. I had thought about it when I was flashing my PSP for about the 100th time and was wondering why in the heck Sony hackers were making so much more headway on their encrypted devices.

Long story short, the PSP's TIFF exploit lead to a "Hello World" demo a week later.

This is good news people.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I modded based on the info I found on this forum and had fun with NES and the ability to apply themes to my iPhone. However, I decided to update the firmware to 1.1.1 because of the nice little feature of double tapping the home key to bring up the iPod interface, I also like the bluetooth battery meter.
So far, the only thing I miss is the ability to do Themes. I use web apps now for "fun on the toilet"! :) Thank God I get a signal in there!

My take on this is simple. Its all about money. It always is. Apple and AT&T signed an exclusive deal. Apple will do whatever they can to prevent people from using this phone with another carrier. That is businesss 101. If AT&T finds out more and more people are using this phone with other carriers, AT&T can and will sue Apple for breach of contract.

Why implement this on iPods as well? Im not a developer, but I would think both the iPhone OS and the iPod touch OS are almost mirror images. Why spend countless hours creating firmware for the iPhone if they cant use the same for the iPod?

Also, someone asked why 3rd party devs can come up with Apps after the iPhone has only been out for 3 month, but yet Apple can only give us video out and whatever else they add with these new firmwares. Think about it...how many 3rd party devs, or just people with a lot of spare time are there in the world with an iPhone to play with? I would think that there is a lot more people out there trying to hack this thing compared to how many people Apple actually employees to keep it hack free. It makes sense that there would be more 3rd party apps, in essense every person (probably 1000+) that makes a theme or app is employeed by the general public. What does Apple have working on the iPhone dev, like 100 people at the most?

Just my 2 cents...but with all that said, if someone figures out how to mod 1.1.1, I will be jumping onboard to get 'er done!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
That's just regurgitating the same thing that was mentioned on IRC yesterday.

The devs didn't seem to think anything was going to happen soon. It's the innocents who have taken that morsel of info and are acting like jailbreak is mere hours away. I'm still not convinced it will be soon, but I sure would like to be wrong about it.

--
Mike
Query, have you thought about the notion that the iPhone Dev team is only letting out the informationi they want to be known?

Think about it, Apple sent the bloke who dumped the iPod touch code a Cease and Desist letter to him and his ISP before his private server was even pinged by the locals. Whats to say the Dev team hasn't wisened up and at this point only informs those who "need" to know?

To quote Steve Jobs, "...sometimes we're not sure if we're the cat or the mouse."

Misinformation is powerful, and loose lips sink ships.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Query, have you thought about the notion that the iPhone Dev team is only letting out the informationi they want to be known?

Think about it, Apple sent the bloke who dumped the iPod touch code a Cease and Desist letter to him and his ISP before his private server was even pinged by the locals. Whats to say the Dev team hasn't wisened up and at this point only informs those who "need" to know?
Perhaps, but many of them are not even in the USA. And there have been some conflicting statements about the status of the 1.1.1 unlock.

Saw this over at Hackint0sh:
"We will provide you with a tool in the next week which will be able to recover your nck counter and seczones and even enables you to restore your phone to a Factory-like state."
-- iPhone Dev Team Statement, September 25

Sam: "it will get paired with reunlock, for that we need to decrypt the ramdisk first."
SunnyDlite: "do not expect anything soon."
Again, I would like for it to happen yesterday. Plus, when I post a thread like this there is bound to be some sort of major breakthrough. I have that "gift" if you will. :p

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Plus, when I post a thread like this there is bound to be some sort of major breakthrough. I have that "gift" if you will. :p

--
Mike
I kept thinking this when I saw all the '1.1.1 Is Going Down' type threads last night. Keep posting items saying it will be 50 years before the thing is cracked - you are speeding up the process for sure! :laugh2:

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
There's also the option of creating a custom Firmware for the iPhone, a la PSP style modding, but I'm not sure if anyone is even attempting to go that route. Either way, I'm happy staying with 1.0.2 forever. To be honest, I don't even use 3rd Party apps, so if a 1.1.1 unlock rolls around I may end up updating anyway.

The 1.0.2 is becoming quite rare now, especially since you can't downgrade the baseband. It's like a 1.5 PSP was back in those days.

Unless Apple keeps making drastic security updates like they did with 1.1.1, I think new firmwares will be very easy to crack in the future. Look at the PSP now. It's a game of cat & mouse and each new firmware update is cracked within 24 hours. I think this will eventually be the case with the iPhone, unless Apple keeps making a great effort to have their phones locked and the homebrew community loses interest in modding it.

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
There's also the option of creating a custom Firmware for the iPhone, a la PSP style modding, but I'm not sure if anyone is even attempting to go that route. Look at the PSP now. It's a game of cat & mouse and each new firmware update is cracked within 24 hours. I think this will eventually be the case with the iPhone, unless Apple keeps making a great effort to have their phones locked and the homebrew community loses interest in modding it.
As far as I have read, PSP v.3.52 has still not been hacked. That is partially why I sold my PSP.

jdelco

Sep 28, 2007
Whats the possibility of a baseband downgrader coming soon? I only have a few more days to return my phone and I want to know if this is

a) possible,

b) in the works

My phone was 1.1.1, now running 1.0.2 fine, just i need to be able to use it as an actual phone. haha

Anyone see this happening in the next few days? (downgrading baseband)

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I updated my iTunes 7.4.3 and iPhone to 1.1.1 as soon as it became available; it was pretty cool accessing iTunes from my iPhone. Spent about $55 bucks in iPhone downloads...however, I liked my mods and 3rd party apps much more. So after a couple of days I rolled back my iPhone back to 1.0.2

Its funny-I never really bought too much from iTunes using my PC...having it handy on my iPhone made it so easy. I wonder how much potential businesss Apple is losing because of people rolling their phones back.

...just a thought

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I updated my iTunes 7.4.3 and iPhone to 1.1.1 as soon as it became available; it was pretty cool accessing iTunes from my iPhone. Spent about $55 bucks in iPhone downloads...however, I liked my mods and 3rd party apps much more. So after a couple of days I rolled back my iPhone back to 1.0.2

Its funny-I never really bought too much from iTunes using my PC...having it handy on my iPhone made it so easy. I wonder how much potential businesss Apple is losing because of people rolling their phones back.

...just a thought
I think Apple cares more about trying to force people into paying for the iPhone plan(s) so that they can get a cut of that. So many people buy songs from iTunes for their iPods already.