For those who haven't modified their iPhone yet...

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I have installed app tapp and than installed some apps. I noticed that it is only showing 3 of my installed app tapp apps on the home screen. How do I access the rest? There is no scrool on the homepage?
What are these apps that you've downloaded? Not all apps will have icons because some of them are just tweaks like the "kb" which gives you the option to turn off autocorrect and some of it are add ons for the main app like the "default Image set" is for the main app "customize".

*I assume that you also have installed the "community sources" right?*

MACGIRL34

Sep 18, 2007
What are these apps that you've downloaded? Not all apps will have icons because some of them are just tweaks like the "kb" which gives you the option to turn off autocorrect and some of it are add ons for the main app like the "default Image set" is for the main app "customize".

*I assume that you also have installed the "community sources" right?*
Yes I installed Com. Sources. So far I installed: 5 dice, send pics, summerboard, tiger, apollo

I just can't seem to get the summerboard done correctly. Its on there and I go to preferences and etc. but no scrolling and no theme yet

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Yes I installed Com. Sources. So far I installed: 5 dice, send pics, summerboard, tiger, apollo

I just can't seem to get the summerboard done correctly. Its on there and I go to preferences and etc. but no scrolling and no theme yet
You have to install the "themes" that are meant for the summerboard. You can find them on the "themes" section of installer is I’m not mistaken. Just read the info of the theme you want to install if you're not sure. It will tell you there if that app is for the summerboard.

MACGIRL34

Sep 18, 2007
Can I just use the either of the launcher's to access my apps until I figure out how to get my summerboard configured right on my phone?

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Can I just use the either of the launcher's to access my apps until I figure out how to get my summerboard configured right on my phone?
Yes you can. There are a lot of different lancher's out there for you to choose from.:laugh2:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Have you restarted your phone yet by holding the sleep key? I know that you need to do that for SummerBoard to start working.

purefx

Sep 24, 2007
I read on the iBrickr site that it does not work with the current version of iTunes unless you had that previous dll file. Is that still the case? I'm trying to get some NES roms on my phone and have not tried iBrickr due to that. Got the apptap goin and tons of apps but no roms yet.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I read on the iBrickr site that it does not work with the current version of iTunes unless you had that previous dll file. Is that still the case? I'm trying to get some NES roms on my phone and have not tried iBrickr due to that. Got the apptap goin and tons of apps but no roms yet.
I don't know if it works or not but I can offer you an alternative. In Installer, download Open SSH. Then on your computer (PC) download WinSCP. Log in to your iPhone with it's IP, user root pw dottie, then go to var/root/Media and create a folder called ROMs. Inside ROMs create a folder called NES. Now transfer your roms to this directory and you should be good to go.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
wildonrio this is a very dangerous post for you to make. I would assume you are not an Apple certified technician? I assume you do know the complete workings of the Apple software? Now don't get me wrong, I know you are just trying to help, but your post is almost "pushing" people to mod their phone with nearly no disclaimers.

Yes it is possible that modding your iPhone is not at all risky, completely irreversible, ect. However there still is a gray area here. Apple made a very bold statement about the risk involved in modding. Sure they could be completely wrong, however once again there is gray area.

Now let me also say that I did mod my last iPhone. I can even further say that once I had issues with my phone I restored it, took it into Apple for a replacement and got one with no hiccups.

So you are right "chances" are there will be no problems. However there still is a chance there will be and you should really put out some bigger disclaimers.

Anyways I didn't just post here to rant, I also posted here to make couple a recommendations. With the new iPhone firmware just around the corner I would recommend waiting to mod your iPhone until after the update. For two reasons, firstly the new firmware will probably require modded iPhones to be re-modded (not a big deal, but still makes it annoying to do twice in a row) Secondly the new firmware may cause some unpredicted issues with modded phones. Possibly some sort of detection of modded phones or whatever else.

Also make sure to wait for the hackers to mess with the new firmware before you update.

Anyways this is what I'm doing and it is just my personal recommendation, I'm no expert, just what I think to be a good idea.

Cheers

purefx

Sep 24, 2007
wildonrio this is a very dangerous post for you to make. I would assume you are not an Apple certified technician? I assume you do know the complete workings of the Apple software? Now don't get me wrong, I know you are just trying to help, but your post is almost "pushing" people to mod their phone with nearly no disclaimers.

Yes it is possible that modding your iPhone is not at all risky, completely irreversible, ect. However there still is a gray area here. Apple made a very bold statement about the risk involved in modding. Sure they could be completely wrong, however once again there is gray area.

Now let me also say that I did mod my last iPhone. I can even further say that once I had issues with my phone I restored it, took it into Apple for a replacement and got one with no hiccups.

So you are right "chances" are there will be no problems. However there still is a chance there will be and you should really put out some bigger disclaimers.

Anyways I didn't just post here to rant, I also posted here to make couple a recommendations. With the new iPhone firmware just around the corner I would recommend waiting to mod your iPhone until after the update. For two reasons, firstly the new firmware will probably require modded iPhones to be re-modded (not a big deal, but still makes it annoying to do twice in a row) Secondly the new firmware may cause some unpredicted issues with modded phones. Possibly some sort of detection of modded phones or whatever else.

Also make sure to wait for the hackers to mess with the new firmware before you update.

Anyways this is what I'm doing and it is just my personal recommendation, I'm no expert, just what I think to be a good idea.

Cheers
In the end people are responsible for their choices... wildonrio is just offering personal experiences. Anything can happen and thats LIFE. Even what Apple says isn't always fact now is it, otherwise no one would ever return their iPhone eh?

Here's a link for ya. You will have to copy the whole thing out as this site doesn't like the brackets...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/Apple/ip...ut-now-testing-for-unlocked-iphones-bricking-[update-it-doesn't-brick-it]-304497.php

And another for fun.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pr-bluff/Apples-iphone-bricking-is-a-bluff-303459.php

And keep in mind this isn't gospel, anymore than what Apple or wildonrio say is... :laugh2:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT

Cheers
There's always an unspoken risk in modding because it's never what the device was originally intended to do. But I stand by my ground in saying that there's no risk to breaking your phone, only having to restore. And this really isn't a risk since you can just get everything back to normal and then keep your phone how it was or try modding again.

As far as the new 1.1.1 update, there is a definite risk there and no one should try modding with that update (I'll update the OP).