For those who swapped their iPhone because it was warm/HOT...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
...did your new iPhone get hot as well? Or did you notice a difference ?

(I read the other threads on warm/Hot iPhones), but wanted to see if people who swapped theirs noticed a definate improvement (or no change)-

my new iPhone gets quite hot when my Wi-Fi setting is ON (even when i am not using the iPhone it is hot) --- but cools down when I turn off Wi-Fi.

Should I return it and get a new one, or is this "normal"?

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I had the same problem when I used EDGE on iPhone. Later took it to the Genius and Apple sent me a new/refurbished phone. Since then I have had no issues in pertinent to the phone getting hot.

I haven't used wi-fi a lot so cannot comment on the same.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
hmm...it got better suddenly

I had the same problem when I used EDGE on iPhone. Later took it to the Genius and Apple sent me a new/refurbished phone. Since then I have had no issues in pertinent to the phone getting hot.

Hmm... Ever since I turned OFF Wi-Fi and used Edge for a bit, then turned Wi-Fi back ON, it STOPPED getting HOT!
I was going to go to the Apple Store today, but not sure if I need to now... Now, it is cool/slightly warm, but it definitely doesn't get as hot as it was before on the first day of use. Strange.

pharoh

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hot phone

Hmm... Ever since I turned OFF Wi-Fi and used Edge for a bit, then turned Wi-Fi back ON, it STOPPED getting HOT!
I was going to go to the Apple Store today, but not sure if I need to now... Now, it is cool/slightly warm, but it definitely doesn't get as hot as it was before on the first day of use. Strange.
All I do is tunrn the phone off and turn it back on when I notice it hot. Seems to take care of the problem. Noticed last week on the golf course. It was real hot..thought it might be the heat of the day (Texas),,then I noticed tha battery was drained too. First time that ever happened....No problems since...go figure..

Rumdada

Sep 23, 2007
I think this is normal this happens with most devices when they are transferring a lot of data. My psp does this when i surf the web along wit my laptop

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007

Just wondering,
when you took it to the Apple Store, did they give you a new phone right away, or did they need to mail you a new one?

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Just wondering,
when you took it to the Apple Store, did they give you a new phone right away, or did they need to mail you a new one?
It will be better if you could use it for another day or so and check if you run into the same issue. If you do, then take an appointment with the Genius through Apple website.

The Genius told me that I have passed the 14 day period and he will not be able to give me a new phone. So I had to to pay $30 for the loaner phone and then within 2-3 days received another phone.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
It will be better if you could use it for another day or so and check if you run into the same issue. If you do, then take an appointment with the Genius through Apple website.

The Genius told me that I have passed the 14 day period and he will not be able to give me a new phone. So I had to to pay $30 for the loaner phone and then within 2-3 days received another phone.

Thanks- i actually kept my appointment with the genius bar today (i almost cancelled it, but the Apple guy said to come on in anyways)...

They said that most get warm with use, but for some reason, I couldn't reproduce the HOT temperature that I experienced yesterdays... so he recommended possibly doing a clean restore...
and if it occurs again, to come back. He said I have a year to swap it if needed... but i didn't know about that $30 charge you mentioned above.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Thanks- i actually kept my appointment with the genius bar today (i almost cancelled it, but the Apple guy said to come on in anyways)...

They said that most get warm with use, but for some reason, I couldn't reproduce the HOT temperature that I experienced yesterdays... so he recommended possibly doing a clean restore...
and if it occurs again, to come back. He said I have a year to swap it if needed... but i didn't know about that $30 charge you mentioned above.
Restoring it did not help me at all. So you might as well be making a trip to the Apple store again :laugh2:

I don't think Apple will give you a new phone but you might want to just give it a shot. Considering that they won't let you go with a new phone, you will be asked whether you will be needing a loaner phone and this will cost you $30.

jaepoori

Oct 16, 2007
to those who had to return for excessive heat problems. My iPhone seems to get a litle hot on the top where the earphone jack is. And also a little warm on the back. Seems like the topside is hotter than the back. Is mine ok or should I have it checked out. Cause I have no clue if this is normal since a lot of electronics conduct heat when u use it. thanks.

bentonm

Aug 16, 2007
I have had mine since iDay. It gets hot (very hot) whenever I surf the web, or basically use Safari. No matter if it is Wi-Fi or EDGE. I called Apple (I don't have the luxury of an Apple Store :() and I am sending mine in. I didn't need a loaner phone due to me having an old ATT phone. My major issue is, I have a 4G, will they be able to replace that? Or will I get an 8G, due to Apple not making 4G any longer? I don't care either way actually. If they can fix my phone ~ great. If I get a new phone that does not get hot ~ great. I just want my iPhone back! I am using a BlackJack and I hate it.:p

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I notice that some people think it is normal.

I have two iPhones. Neither of them gets hot under any circumstance. So if it's normal, mine are abnormal.

bmw330ci

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
I sent mine into Apple with this problem and they sent it back today saying they could not replicate the same issue.

Idiots.....