For those who's plan isn't under your name...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Domin8stang

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I am under my dads plan, and he def. doesn't want to wait in line with me, so i called AT&T and they told me that if i bring in his name and soc. and stuff that i could do w/e i needed to do as far as adding the new data plan etc.. to the account. FYI for all those out there who are in a similar boat as me. :cool:

radbrent

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah I am in the same situation. It's under my Mom's name. They usually ask for the last 4 numbers of her social security and I have them memorized so I hope that will be good. They let me change my account over the phone, so hopefully I can do this :/

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
LIAR ^ Proof it whats her entire social? jk I hope thats the case because that will make things a lot simpler

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
I was sort of in the same boat until last week. I am currently on a family plan with my grandma. I will be getting my own plan on Friday with the iPhone. The ATT rep told me that in order to get off my grandma's plan and on to my own plan and KEEP my number that my grandma needed to call 611 and ask for my name to be added to my grandma's account as a User. i think what this does is give me more permission or whatever so I can make choices on my part of the plan.

jnizzle

Jun 23, 2007
I pretended to be my dad and asked about it. The rep called the store then told me if I was noted on the account then I would not need my dad there with me, which I asked her to do.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Good luck with all that. I hope they are able to do that for you, but it's definitely against the policy. The primary account holder is responsible for payment of every account on the FamilyTalk plan. Without the primary account holder making the changes, it opens At&t up for litigation.

You might be able to do it, but I would count on it being a blanket policy. IF you're 14, they're going to know you aren't the primary account holder.

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
I'm kinda in a weird boat with this one. I expect to be the first one in line... But I'm only 18 and still on my dad's plan. He gets off work at 6, and can be at the store by 6:20 to help me purchase the plan for the phone. After talking with the manager at the Apple store about my predicament - (luckily she's friends with my dad...) she said that she'd let me hold onto one on the side and just wait the 20 minutes until my dad arrives, so they can check out other people while I'm waiting. Its kinda weird... But I hope no one gets their undies in a bundle.

AU girl

Jun 23, 2007
I am under my dads plan, and he def. doesn't want to wait in line with me, so i called AT&T and they told me that if i bring in his name and soc. and stuff that i could do w/e i needed to do as far as adding the new data plan etc.. to the account. FYI for all those out there who are in a similar boat as me. :cool:
I am under my moms as well. I just used my upgrade in Feb. for a razer. However, my mom is available for an upgrade and the guy at my ATT store said she could authorize an upgrade over the phone. (If that is the only way to get it since I just renewed my contract) This was about two weeks ago he told me this. I am going back there tomorrow and ask it again and get the persons name that tells me this so on Friday I can say so & so said because I'm sure they will be working. Hopefully I can just get one and extend my contract again and not have to use my Moms upgrade.

Twitchthroe

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Clarkston, MI
I'm currently on a family plan with my whole family (5 people). So hopefully they will let me branch off of that and start my own separate plan without needing my parents there. It's under my mother's name I believe.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
Here we go again.

The first post is correct. As long as you have the primary account holder call (or pretend) and note that you are an authorized user on the account and can make plan changes and upgrades you are okay. You will only need the last 4 of the primary's social.

This is part of the AT&T policy and has been for a long time.

Jun 21, 2007
Im in the same boat im on a family plan with my step dad and mom. The AT&T rep told me that i would need for my step dad to call in a make me a user on the account and then bring his last 4 digits of his social in order to buy it on my own, so you all may want to double check are your local spot.

Diviant

Jun 21, 2007
Im in the same boat im on a family plan with my step dad and mom. The AT&T rep told me that i would need for my step dad to call in a make me a user on the account and then bring his last 4 digits of his social in order to buy it on my own, so you all may want to double check are your local spot.
I'm not currently an AT&T subscriber, and I'm currently under 18. My problem is that my mother won't be able to create the account on-site, so I'm wondering if either I can buy the phone and activate it at home, or if somehow I can get the account created. I know my mom's SSN, and can provide her credit card, etc, to get the account created if it's somehow possible.