For those with Slow apps and/or poor battery life after 2.0 update

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I mentioned this is the official thread, but though it prudent to make it's own thread so people can find it easier.

Go into Settings, and then General and turn OFF Location Services. If you don't know what they are, then you probably don't use it, and don't need it on. It's kind of like having Bluetooth on and not using a headset.

I believe, ( and I could be wrong, but only time will tell) that Location Services run in the background Full Time, and apps use it for showing where you are, whether it be for Weather, or Maps, Social Networking, Picture Blogging, etc...
If you aren't sure whether or not you need it, turn it off and see if any of your apps ask for it. if it's off and you don't miss it, then you never needed it in the first place.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
I mentioned this is the official thread, but though it prudent to make it's own thread so people can find it easier.

Go into Settings, and then General and turn OFF Location Services. If you don't know what they are, then you probably don't use it, and don't need it on. It's kind of like having Bluetooth on and not using a headset.

I believe, ( and I could be wrong, but only time will tell) that Location Services run in the background Full Time, and apps use it for showing where you are, whether it be for Weather, or Maps, Social Networking, Picture Blogging, etc...
If you aren't sure whether or not you need it, turn it off and see if any of your apps ask for it. if it's off and you don't miss it, then you never needed it in the first place.
Thanks interesting point..never moticed it was on

I have noted that opening some are slow...hope this helps

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
does not seem to do anything for me..still slow and a lot of "delays"

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Hmmmm. Keep it turned off and try rebooting.
I have actually rebooted about 5 times since updating Saturday Night

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Hmmmm. Keep it turned off and try rebooting.
I have actually rebooted about 5 times since updating Saturday Night
Ok..rebooted. Never thought to do that, thanks

Seems a little better, overall I think 2.0 seems a bit slower(annoying but not terrible)

My camera apps is very slow..it opens ok but the "aperture" takes much to open so you can take a pic

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, as far as my test goes, I am 99% sure that that the locator service chews up battery.
As I write this, I have about 1/4th of the battery icon missing and usage is at 3 Hours. That's 47 minutes of calls, and the rest is edge browsing (2.6MB) and a combination of iPod and apps.
This morning's 40 minutes of usage was from my alarms and a handful of SMS only and it showed about an eighth of the battery missing.
Test for yourselves though. I don't want to tell everyone this, and I am the only one that is experiencing the problem.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Well, as far as my test goes, I am 99% sure that that the locator service chews up battery.
As I write this, I have about 1/4th of the battery icon missing and usage is at 3 Hours. That's 47 minutes of calls, and the rest is edge browsing (2.6MB) and a combination of iPod and apps.
This morning's 40 minutes of usage was from my alarms and a handful of SMS only and it showed about an eighth of the battery missing.
Test for yourselves though. I don't want to tell everyone this, and I am the only one that is experiencing the problem.
Too soon for me to tell about battery life...but it is a bit faster after turning this off, but still seems slower than 1.1.4

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
my phones battery life sucks..also there are a bunch of delays!

BOO 2.0

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
If you try to use GPS, it asks for you location; this turns it back on automatically.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Does anyone know exactly what this option does?
Beside providing disappointing battery life? Not really.
I slipped comfortably back into 1.1.4 and am happy once again :D

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I noticed a HUGE delay when apps needed to use Contacts, like when you want to email a photo and use Contacts to select the address. When I clicked the + in the Send field, the delay was so bad, I almost fell asleep waiting! Turning Location Services off seems to help a LOT!

I don't know about battery life but I did notice it wasn't as good as before 2.0 so maybe that'll get better too. Thanks Hawk

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
um... location services provides another rather important function.

If you dial 911 for an emergency and for whatever reason you can not tell them where you are, location services can be activated by local law enforcement to find your location.

IMO i wouldn't ever turn that off.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA

If you dial 911 for an emergency and for whatever reason you can not tell them where you are, location services can be activated by local law enforcement to find your location.

Are you sure that the new Location Services have to be on for E911 to work with the iPhone? One of my old cell phones had a setting where you could either turn this service off or on but it came out long before the iPhone. I would assume that even the V1 iPhone had this capability before the 2.0 upgrade. Also, I thought EMS and LE could triangulate your location based on the cell towers you were hitting.

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
yes and you are correct, location services have been out for some time...

triangulation came out before gps devices were on the phones eg phase I.

phase II uses triangulation as well as location services coupled with gps.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007

If they can be activated by local law enforcement, then why would it matter if you've turned it off?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I think he means that if you have LS turned on, law enforcement can have their system's use it to find you. They can't actually activate it on your phone.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008

are you sure this is the location service on the iPhone...I would doubt Apple would allow users to turn that off...too much liability

Also why would it chew battery in fw 2.0 but not in 1.1.x.....