For v1 Users On The Fence About Upgrading

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Here's a great article from the Seattle Times about a writer there who is also on the fence about upgrading to 3G. It's great to read about his thought process:

Early iPhone adopter on fence about new one

I'm not trying to convince you to upgrade, but rather think about whether it's WORTH IT to upgrade.

Here's a great article from the Seattle Times about a writer there who is also on the fence about upgrading to 3G. It's great to read about his thought process:

Early iPhone adopter on fence about new one

I'm not trying to convince you to upgrade, but rather think about whether it's WORTH IT to upgrade.
This is a great article. Since I live in Southeast Washington State, we currently don't have 3G. I already own a Magellan GPS, so why get 3G? My only reason now to purchase is for the added storage for all the apps.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I've been on the fence about upgrading which is why I am holding until the week after atleast. So I can play I can play around with my current iPhone running on firmware 2.0 because that will make it feel like a whole new phone. The only reason I could give to justify the upgrade is that 3g will mke my email download faster when I open them to read because currently when I am not at home or work wi-fi and I am out and about running on edge, checking email is painful at best.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
This is a great article. Since I live in Southeast Washington State, we currently don't have 3G. I already own a Magellan GPS, so why get 3G? My only reason now to purchase is for the added storage for all the apps.
One reason you might consider upgrading is the convergence factor, combining your GPS and phone into one device. This was the biggest draw for me to the iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've been on the fence about upgrading which is why I am holding until the week after atleast. So I can play I can play around with my current iPhone running on firmware 2.0 because that will make it feel like a whole new phone. The only reason I could give to justify the upgrade is that 3g will mke my email download faster when I open them to read because currently when I am not at home or work wi-fi and I am out and about running on edge, checking email is painful at best.
I feel the same way about waiting and trying out the 2.0 apps, but I will probably still go next Friday just to play with the demo to check the download speeds for myself.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I feel the same way about waiting and trying out the 2.0 apps, but I will probably still go next Friday just to play with the demo to check the download speeds for myself.
I can't remember as it's been over 6 months since I bothered with a in-store demo iPhone but aren't they all hooked up to the stores wi-fi?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I can't remember as it's been over 6 months since I bothered with a in-store demo iPhone but aren't they all hooked up to the stores wi-fi?
I believe that is normally true, but this time around they will have to be able to use 3G for demo purposes.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I believe that is normally true, but this time around they will have to be able to use 3G for demo purposes.
I definatley want to test the HTML email download speeds. If they are all running on 3g, I will have to add my gmail account and let it load with some HTML emails and check it out. :)

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i say if you can afford to then do it, why live in the past if you don't have to

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
It's like this.

I'm already paying $60 a month for home internet. The current data plan with text at $20 was very fair to me. I would have paid $25 for the upgrade to 3g. Would have grumbled a bit but paid $30 for the upgrade to 3g. But $35? Now I'm up to spending about $95 a month for just for internet access. Then I still have to pay for voice minutes per month. Thankfully I don't have cable TV or a land line. It's easy to see how families can get wrapped up into paying hundreds of dollars a month for what many consider 'essential services' nowadays.

Anyways, holding off on the 3g iPhone is just my little protest on what is essentially the doubling of the data plan pricing that crosses a line I put in the sand.

-Jeff