Force Quit in 3.0

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by shutter13, May 27, 2009.

1. shutter13

shutter13 Zealot

Just saw this on macrumors and tried it on my ipod app, seems to work.

2. VIPERxGTx2000

VIPERxGTx2000 Member

I kept just turning my phone off and on to quit out of a frozen program. Thanks for the helpful info. :)
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

Fascinating, Shutter... thanks!
  5. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

I'm bumping this. Not only because it's so useful, but because it's exciting to think of what they have in store now for a home button hold. Launcher? Quick settings? God forbid... task manager?!?

This is big stuff, I think... definitely a sign of something coming...
  6. Adam1389

Adam1389 Member

Backgrounding would be a useful function for it :D
  7. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot

While using both of those buttons and using that method takes more time, it is exciting to see what they have in store for the home button now. Good find.
  8. The Apple

The Apple Zealot

Maybe this will help with the battery draining.
  9. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

It's certainly nice to be able to free up the footprint of the mail app when things get sluggish again.
  10. morth58

morth58 Member

This is great - now I don't have to restart after MLB at bat locks up>
  11. iphun

iphun Zealot

I've heard about this before and just never tried to test it. I kind of like the way this works better than the old way. I like the idea of what's in store for the old function. I think it could show their interest of background apps, maybe like backgrounder.
  12. hitrho5

hitrho5 Member

Why did apple decide to remove the force quit function? It comes in handy for me a lot. Which Apple Inc. higher-up decided to remove force quit? That was an INCREDIBLY stupid idea.
  13. iphun

iphun Zealot

Well technically it wasn't removed just relocated into a different combination of steps to force quit. Either enough people complained about it or they have plans for holding down home button.
  14. styfle

styfle Zealot

My guess is there will be a different function for holding the home button.
  15. iphun

iphun Zealot

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It's just what will that function be??:) I know apple will surprise us and make us happy with whatever they do.
  16. dwest218

dwest218 New Member

The new long hold of the home button will be used for voice control that is coming. ):
  17. styfle

styfle Zealot

Source...?
  18. dwest218

dwest218 New Member

My source is from a website of a website of a website. But seriously I have read somehere that Apple was working on voicecontrol. And voicecontrol makes sense since they have it on a Mac and the iPhone is running on software that is the same as LeOpard OS. But interesting someone just pointed this out in the thread because I wrote several emails to Apple(not sure if they will read them) about having some kind of function for a long press of the home button. I would be happy if it was simply another shortcut like to the double click of the home button. My biggest beef is how far buried the On/Off switch is for Bluetooth in settings and asked them to move it right below the Wifi On/Off on the main settings page. Oh and adding a feature in iTunes like the iPhoto tab allows you to drag your albums in order but have the same functionlity for the apps. tab. My last request was in Safari a way to close all open pages at once. It is very annoying to have all these pages open because every time I click a link within an app. or website a new page opens. I seriously doubt any of this would happen but I would LOVE Bluetooth to not be so buried!
  19. iphun

iphun Zealot

This makes sense, hold down home and say your voice command. It would be the easiest way to make a command from anywhere, in any app without having to exit the app. If this is true and implemented lets hope they have the voice recognition perfect so we don't end up yelling at our iphones :p
  20. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

Ooooh, a task manager is tops on my list at the moment (assuming background apps even happens) but.... voice control. mmmmm that's nice. I kinda want that more.
  21. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius

Would love to have voice dialing via the home button!