Forced onto an AT&T tethering plan...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My philosophy has always been to use the Internet connection that already comes on the device. So, if it's a cell phone, I'll use the 3G connection. For a laptop or Wi-Fi-only iPad, I'll use Wi-Fi.

dickdaney

Jan 2, 2010
Exactly. That confuses the crap out of me why people say they only use 3G and hate wifi. Also I wonder if ATT can see if your teathering using MyWi or Pdanet?
I can understand people wanting to use gsm 3G vs wifi. Before I switch from dsl to cable, my home Internet speed maxed out at 1.5mbps. My 3G speed was close to 3.5mbps. The ping was better open dsl, but ping is not really a concern when yu just want to download something.

Since since I switch from AT&T to Verizon for my iPhone and AT&T dsl to time Warner road runner. My 3G speed is down to 1.3mbps and my home Internet speed is up to 10 Mbps. So now I use my home wifi all the time.

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
I don't know if this is good or not, but everything on the account is still showing an unlimited data plan, and not the DataPro 4GB plan. Hopefully it'll stay like this, or will it change during the next billing period? Hoping that they forgot :).

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
I can understand people wanting to use gsm 3G vs wifi. Before I switch from dsl to cable, my home Internet speed maxed out at 1.5mbps. My 3G speed was close to 3.5mbps. The ping was better open dsl, but ping is not really a concern when yu just want to download something.

Since since I switch from AT&T to Verizon for my iPhone and AT&T dsl to time Warner road runner. My 3G speed is down to 1.3mbps and my home Internet speed is up to 10 Mbps. So now I use my home wifi all the time.
That makes since. I guess I was just assuming that everyone had roadrunner speeds lol. But makes since to use 3G when it's faster than your Internet speeds. Wow. I don't think I would pay for the Internet if it wasn't at least 10mb down.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I don't know if this is good or not, but everything on the account is still showing an unlimited data plan, and not the DataPro 4GB plan. Hopefully it'll stay like this, or will it change during the next billing period? Hoping that they forgot :).
Probably for the next cycle. I also heard that if people stopped tethering immediately then they wouldn't make changes, but I think that was when they sent out the initial text not the one that says they'll change your plan.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
AT&T is notorious for simply adding options onto your plan if they detect that you're using the service. BlackBerry users always get nailed trying to use one without a data plan. AT&T detects the BlackBerry on their network via the IMEI and simply adds BIS to your bill.

Karayamino

Nov 2, 2011
Brea, California
Ive been tethering my phone for about a year now. I would regularly hit 25-30 Gb a month but not just from tethering. Most of it was just youtube videos in HD which my jailbroken phone can do even when not on WIFI. I don't have WIFI at work (Disneyland) because im a lowly peon and I don't work in an office. I have wireless internet access at home but most the time my internet is shared between 3 others streaming, downloading torrents or playing video games online. We have the cheapest internet service available because we all work part time jobs.

Starting in Oct ive been throttled as soon as I hit around 13-15 Gb about half way into the month. My speed drops to about 10 kb/s. frack AT&T but i don't know what else I can do. Besides pay more for less and lose my unlimited...
BTW im using TetherMe 2-2-1 hiding my APN so AT&T doesn't know im tethering. Its actually faster then my home internet during peak hours.

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
How do you get TetherMe to hide everything? I know that you can change the APN, but I don't know what to change.

If AT&T does change anything, I'll just call them and ask them to revert the changes, as a lot of people have reported them changing their plans back to unlimited. I'll then just stick with PdaNet's hiding feature, now that PdaNet's fully iOS 5 compatible.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I would say they are using a formula that is bit more complex than simple math to arrive at some kind of "score" that once a certain number is exceeded puts you in the crosshairs. It could be a rolling 4 month average weighted against the current month and combined with other factors. Other factors might include amount of monthly service, number of times delinquent, length of time as customer, contract status, etc.

That said it seems now they are now in fact taking a two-pronged approach: throttliing high data users regardless of tethering and switching those who are caught tethering to an official tethered plan (and off unlimited).

I really think AT&T would rather those of you using that much data to just go away or be taken off unlimited--as harsh as that sounds. When the majority of iPhone users had unlimited plans they had a great many people paying for unlimited and yet only using a few hundred MB per month--this at least averaged the cost for those using far more. Keep in mind even with the majority of people not using "that much" data, data usage on AT&T increased 5,000% by June of 2010 compared to June 0f 2007 when the iPhone was first released.

People using 20 times the norm are going to be targeted more and more as we are now nearly one and a half years from when unlimited was offered as an option. Now the situation is that we have the majority of iPhone users not on unlimited plans and the high data users are becoming easier to pick out.

The only thing baffling about this thread is that the OP brought it on himself. You can still use unlimited and probably can get away with 5-10GB per month. But to purposely use just 3G when wifi was available is just plain asking for trouble. And indeed it came.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Europa

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
I would say they are using a formula that is bit more complex than simple math to arrive at some kind of "score" that once a certain number is exceeded puts you in the crosshairs. It could be a rolling 4 month average weighted against the current month and combined with other factors. Other factors might include amount of monthly service, number of times delinquent, length of time as customer, contract status, etc.

That said it seems now they are now in fact taking a two-pronged approach: throttliing high data users regardless of tethering and switching those who are caught tethering to an official tethered plan (and off unlimited).

I really think AT&T would rather those of you using that much data to just go away or be taken off unlimited--as harsh as that sounds. When the majority of iPhone users had unlimited plans they had a great many people paying for unlimited and yet only using a few hundred MB per month--this at least averaged the cost for those using far more. Keep in mind even with the majority of people not using "that much" data, data usage on AT&T increased 5,000% by June of 2010 compared to June 0f 2007 when the iPhone was first released.

People using 20 times the norm are going to be targeted more and more as we are now nearly one and a half years from when unlimited was offered as an option. Now the situation is that we have the majority of iPhone users not on unlimited plans and the high data users are becoming easier to pick out.

The only thing baffling about this thread is that the OP brought it on himself. You can still use unlimited and probably can get away with 5-10GB per month. But to purposely use just 3G when wifi was available is just plain asking for trouble. And indeed it came.

Michael
Like I said, I shouldn't be forced to use Wi-Fi, when 3G speeds are fine for the type of browsing and streaming things that I do on my phone. The majority of my 3G usage is when I'm out and about and don't have access to Wi-Fi. Or, if I'm in a car ride for hours and want to do some Slingbox streaming.