Forced Update!

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
have any of you ever experienced a "forced update"...well it just so happened that a co-worker told me that he "took his time" on updating to the latest 2.2.1 software...in doing that, he said that his phone "shut down", in the sense that the display showed as if he had activate his phone for the 1st time...you know:

...so it wasn't until he udated to the current software that he was able to use his phone as normal...woe! ...sounds a lil' extreme control goin on here...some "enemy of the state" type stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sounds like his software was corrupt or he accidentally put it into recovery mode.

chances are he could have restored with the previous software if he wanted to.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
sounds like his software was corrupt or he accidentally put it into recovery mode.

chances are he could have restored with the previous software if he wanted to.

yeah...propbaby so...just sounded a lil' zooked out to me...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
if something like that happens just hit option + click on update and you can select your firmware (mac) or right click on update (windows) and you can select the firmware you want. no way i would update to 2.2.1 right now and make my device not able to be unlocked.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
if something like that happens just hit option + click on update and you can select your firmware (mac) or right click on update (windows) and you can select the firmware you want. no way i would update to 2.2.1 right now and make my device not able to be unlocked.

his phone is not unlocked so he was pretty much stuck with doing the udate from his phone...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
ummmm where did i say anything about being unlocked a requirement for this? and how do you update from your phone?

i just meant when restoring or updating via iTunes, use that process to select your firmware.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
ummmm where did i say anything about being unlocked a requirement for this? and how do you update from your phone?

i just meant when restoring or updating via iTunes, use that process to select your firmware.

you didn't, neither did i...sooooo? what?...update from your phone in the sense that when he plugged it in his computer...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
you didn't, neither did i...sooooo? what?...update from your phone in the sense that when he plugged it in his computer...
i just took this part....

his phone is not unlocked so he was pretty much stuck with doing the udate from his phone...
as you saying that since he wasn't unlocked, he couldn't do it the way i suggested (or something along those lines). i think we're both confused at this point :)

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Originally Posted by iksn
Probably not Enemy of the State stuff. But, what do I know?

exactly...

Apparently way more than you!

Last edited by a moderator:

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
This happened to me also. I am with A T & T and had stock phone at the time. It had been about 3 weeks since my last sync with iTunes. I unplugged from the charger and I went to work. I use my phone at work for calls and documents I need access to. My phone was in that state when I tried to use it. I already had 2.2.1 installed. I had not made any changes, added any programs...nothing. It was just shut down until I could sync again. Needless to say I was quite perturbed by this. I do have a another phone (yep it was at home). Now I never leave home without my backup phone.