forget 2.0 top five SIMple fixes

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
I am getting a bit fed up waiting for 2.0 I want simple fixes for my phone offered now. I say simple not because I am a computer programmar but a long time phone/smartphone user and the things I want are all over the EIC. So Apple if your looking in heres the 'simple fix list'.

SMS forwarding
Copy and paste
MMS
Bluetooth stereo
Bluetooth file/contact transfer

These are all possible now with a 1.1.5 update and are basic phone facilities. I want them now! SDK and 2.0 has its place and time but I want 'simple' updates immediately.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
This battle has been fought and fought and yet we have seen nothing. Just be patient.
"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end" (Maggie Thatcher) a lady who got things done and could still probably kick Steve Jobs ass into gear.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
It's not about patience anymore. I posted this today in another thread:

"Here's what I don't get and maybe someone can answer this.

Why doesn't Apple put in copy paste? Why don't they add A2DP (for bluetooth)? or video recording?

These things are very easy to put together for a software engineer ( i would know) and it would really please ALOT of people. The little things like TV out and adding homescreen links, locate me, etc are good, but no one really BEGGED for it. They took as much time to make as copy paste, and Video recording would and it still isn't used to make money (unlike the App store or Music store which require A LOT more designing time).

I just don't get it. They KNOW the top five requests people have and it really would set the device to a whole new level....they are not that dumb, but there has to be a reason why they aren't doing it! Why?

BTW top 5 request probably go something like this in no particular order:

1.) copy paste
2.) video recording
3.) MMS
4.) all-in-one e-mail like a blackberry
5.) A2DP bluetooth profile for stereo music streaming

Feel free to add yours."

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Don't get to worked up about it. Whatever doesn't come about in 2.0 will probably happen through a third-party app.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Don't get to worked up about it. Whatever doesn't come about in 2.0 will probably happen through a third-party app.
That's what people don't understand. It's just not true. The SDK doesn't allow full OS access at all. Things like copy paste, email structures, and other embedded commands just are not possible without Apple doing it or releasing a truly open SDK. I mean even a very high up at Adobe said they would put flash on the iPhone, then he had to eat his own words since people told him that simply wasn't true unless they create an entirely new Safari (Adobe that is). Get it?

Makes me :sick:

phred26

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
Oakville, ON, Canada
It's really all simple marketing...I'm sure Apple knows people want copy and paste and all the other good stuff that isn't included in the 1st gen iPhone but they would much rather introduce a new iPhone with all those features so people will buy it. If cellphone companies, or any company for that matter, made the perfect device then there wouldn't really be a need to update, for a while at least. It's about money and I doubt a perfect, all around complete iPhone will ever come out so I guess we're just gonna have to live with having some things missing from our phones...but we should be happy cause we have the best phone on the market lol.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
That's what people don't understand. It's just not true. The SDK doesn't allow full OS access at all. Things like copy paste, email structures, and other embedded commands just are not possible without Apple doing it or releasing a truly open SDK. I mean even a very high up at Adobe said they would put flash on the iPhone, then he had to eat his own words since people told him that simply wasn't true unless they create an entirely new Safari (Adobe that is). Get it?

But, if Adobe released their own Safari, I'd use it, providing it worked like the current Safari.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
It's really all simple marketing...I'm sure Apple knows people want copy and paste and all the other good stuff that isn't included in the 1st gen iPhone but they would much rather introduce a new iPhone with all those features so people will buy it. If cellphone companies, or any company for that matter, made the perfect device then there wouldn't really be a need to update, for a while at least. It's about money and I doubt a perfect, all around complete iPhone will ever come out so I guess we're just gonna have to live with having some things missing from our phones...but we should be happy cause we have the best phone on the market lol.
I am sorry but are you joking! Apple also know that without these simple fixes it makes the current iPhone a joke in many circles (even my wife thinks its funny). They fixed the group SMS problem for example what makes this fix more important than the ability to forward a text. Your saying some guy in the marketing office is sitting down saying you can have group text but you cant have SMS forwarding, that could only belong to the iPhone 2 and by implicateion this facility should cost our customers another $500. Guys remember Apple hasn't all the power we the consumer have. Don't go near the iPhone 2 until they fix the basics on the first iPhone! We have the power Steve Jobs relies on us!

Make this the biggest issue on the forum an let Apple take notice!

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
It's not about patience anymore. I posted this today in another thread:

"Here's what I don't get and maybe someone can answer this.

Why doesn't Apple put in copy paste? Why don't they add A2DP (for bluetooth)? or video recording?

These things are very easy to put together for a software engineer ( i would know) and it would really please ALOT of people. The little things like TV out and adding homescreen links, locate me, etc are good, but no one really BEGGED for it. They took as much time to make as copy paste, and Video recording would and it still isn't used to make money (unlike the App store or Music store which require A LOT more designing time).

I just don't get it. They KNOW the top five requests people have and it really would set the device to a whole new level....they are not that dumb, but there has to be a reason why they aren't doing it! Why?

BTW top 5 request probably go something like this in no particular order:

1.) copy paste
2.) video recording
3.) MMS
4.) all-in-one e-mail like a blackberry
5.) A2DP bluetooth profile for stereo music streaming

Feel free to add yours."
Sorry didn't mean to steal your thunder its just that I see these issues spread all over the forum and wanted to unite the views I one all powerful thread! We need all the above:oops:

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Sorry didn't mean to steal your thunder its just that I see these issues spread all over the forum and wanted to unite the views I one all powerful thread! We need all the above:oops:
Oh no, I'm happy you brought up this thread! I just didn't want to re-write everything so I just copied it. I just want the answer from them as to why they omit these things. The phone has all the advanced features and it does them very well mind you, but it misses on the simple stuff..... I just don't get it and wish someone would answer us.

no MMS - I can see why, I mean the iPhone plan doesn't have this and the thought of MMS is pretty dumb. The iPhone can e-mail anything.....except attachments or multiple photos:mad:.

no Serial connection for bluetooth - I get that one too. I bet Apple & ATT struck a deal saying well the iPhone can have unlimited internet, but it cannot communicate with a laptop to "share" this internet connection.

Like I said, a few things I can understand, but the rest......I don't

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Yeah maybe this should be a top ten! I have an issue with the fact you cant attach the iPhone to a computer an play the tunes you have bought and paid for from the iPhone via a computer just like you can with any old ipod. Best ipod ever?

OK maybe its a moaning thread but we need these issues sorted. If it involved an issue to beat the hackers Apple would be on to it straight away they wouldn't be leaving it until June.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
SMS forwarding
Copy and paste
MMS
Bluetooth stereo
Bluetooth file/contact transfer
Speaking from the complete opposite side of this argument......I don't use ANY of those features, nor have I ever used my iPhone wishing I could.

I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people who have the same viewpoint as myself and it just doesn't bother us not to have those features. Sure it would be nice and I'd use them if they were there, but they aren't so I'm not going to start crying like a baby.

I bought the iPhone knowing full well what it was and wasn't capable of. It seems a lot of people however bought the iPhone because of what they HOPED it would become. Those are the people that Stevie was hoping to sucker in because he knows you'll hang on his every word waiting for each little morsel of code he offers up.

I'm not arguing that these features are important, but you need to decide if you bought the iPhone for what it *IS* or what you *WANTED* it to be.

Having said that, I am 110% happy with my iPhone and when the next revision comes out, I'll evaluate it the same way I did this one to determine if I can live with it's features and probable shortcomings.

(No I'm not slamming anyone for their opinion on this topic, so please don't start beaking off at me like I personally attacked you. This is simply *MY* opinion which I'm entitled to have and voice.)

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Speaking from the complete opposite side of this argument......I don't use ANY of those features, nor have I ever used my iPhone wishing I could.

Hi Khris not a personal attack here:) but what about 'copy and paste'? You never did our would want to use this on a smart phone? Yes I agree with some of your comment, that a lot of us went into the deal knowing exactly what we were getting but there are many who search these forums on a once off basis for information to gain knowledge from those who have bought the product. I would have loved a list of things the iPhone didn't have as some of the stuff is so routine on a mobile phone you would never conceivably think it would be missing on any modern phone never mind the iPhone.

A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Hi Khris not a personal attack here:) but what about 'copy and paste'? You never did our would want to use this on a smart phone?
I don't use ANY of those features, nor have I ever used my iPhone wishing I could........Sure it would be nice and I'd use them if they were there

Well as I said, I'd use it if it were available, however since it's not I've managed without it just fine.

Yes I agree with some of your comment, that a lot of us went into the deal knowing exactly what we were getting but there are many who search these forums on a once off basis for information to gain knowledge from those who have bought the product. I would have loved a list of things the iPhone didn't have as some of the stuff is so routine on a mobile phone you would never conceivably think it would be missing on any modern phone never mind the iPhone
Ultimately doesn't that boil down to people making assumptions and then getting burned by those assumptions? I'd rather ask all the questions I can think of BEFORE buying so that I can honestly say I made an educated purchase. It's easy to get sucked in by all the hype and marketing, but for me it comes down to whether or not the product really does what I need it to. In this case, even without the features you mentioned, it certainly does.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Ultimately doesn't that boil down to people making assumptions and then getting burned by those assumptions? I'd rather ask all the questions I can think of BEFORE buying so that I can honestly say I made an educated purchase. It's easy to get sucked in by all the hype and marketing, but for me it comes down to whether or not the product really does what I need it to. In this case, even without the features you mentioned, it certainly does.[/quote]

Khris I would suggest that people make assumptions on these issues only because they have routinely used these functions before. For example it was assumed that when the Mercedes ‘A’ class was launched that you would be able to drive around corners at a reasonable speed without the car turning over. You couldn’t and Mercedes redesigned their suspension. The car had a suspension it coped with many of the functions a suspension should but those who bought it assumed it would cope with all the things a suspension normally would. When was the last time you heard of anyone going into a car show room and asking can this car drive round a bend or I know the breaks will slow you down but can they bring you to a complete stop. Basic assumptions are part and parcel of everyday life if you didn’t make them you would never get anything. SMS has been around since 1992, 16 years later most people would assume the iPhone could deal with all SMS functions.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Basic assumptions are part and parcel of everyday life if you didn’t make them you would never get anything.

Not true. I try my best NOT to make assumptions because I've been burned by them in the past. I choose to ask questions rather than make assumptions and I feel I'm further off because of it.

SMS has been around since 1992, 16 years later most people would assume the iPhone could deal with all SMS functions.

That's the problems however......assuming. You can dress it up, and compare it however you want, but the underlying fact is that making assumptions opens the door to more potential problems than simply asking a direct question to find out the answer.

Right now I could assume you to be either Male or Female......thereforee I have a 50% chance of being right. It's much easier just to flat out ask you and be 100% right. Same logic applies here. Ask the questions to which you need to know the answers instead of just assuming the answers will be what you want them to.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

You might be right, but I'll just wait and see what Apple does in June.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008

Not true. I try my best NOT to make assumptions because I've been burned by them in the past. I choose to ask questions rather than make assumptions and I feel I'm further off because of it.

That's the problems however......assuming. You can dress it up, and compare it however you want, but the underlying fact is that making assumptions opens the door to more potential problems than simply asking a direct question to find out the answer.

Right now I could assume you to be either Male or Female......thereforee I have a 50% chance of being right. It's much easier just to flat out ask you and be 100% right. Same logic applies here. Ask the questions to which you need to know the answers instead of just assuming the answers will be what you want them to.
Well then Khris maybe you can enlighted me with list of questions you posed before buying your iPhone. I'll use them before purchasing the iPhone 2 just to make sure I cover all the bases.;)

Oh I could be Hermaphrodite!

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Oh I could be Hermaphrodite!
And you've just proven my point......you could potentially be a Hermaphrodite and since I assumed the only two choices were Male and Female, you can see exactly how an assumption could result in a wrong conclusion.

Then, take that wrong conclusion and make a decision based upon it......

Can you see how one assumption can potentially cause numerous problems/issues?

Essentially I spent a few months researching the iPhone and it's features.......searching with Google and reading several websites specifically about the phone and it's features. A lot of my questions were answered indirectly because someone else found out the hard way (ex: missing features).