format for iPhone video!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007
Having major problems bringing video onto iPhone help would be appreciated. I have iTunes, and i have films in mp4 h264 format. is this the right format? everytime i try to drag the file it says invalid format, how is this done ? is there a tutorial?

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Having major problems bringing video onto iPhone help would be appreciated. I have iTunes, and i have films in mp4 h264 format. is this the right format? everytime i try to drag the file it says invalid format, how is this done ? is there a tutorial?
When I ran into that exact problem using Vegas to convert video it turned out to be the audio sample rate. If it's 48k it won't go, make sure you audio is 44.1k.

Here are the Vegas settings I use that work.

Audio: 128 Kbps, 44.1 kHz, AAC.
Video: 1 Mbps, 29.970 fps, 640x480
Video Profile: Baseline (the other choice is main)

Works for me.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
it is the right format. Do they play in iTunes on your computer? What are their size? If they are too large(in pixels), they might not play on iPhone properly. Do you have a program that can export them to m4v format? You can use Quicktime to export any movie directly to iPod or iPhone format.

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007
44.1? so that explains why one video was playing but there was no sound. lol/
SO what software should i use to convert the dvd rip?
whats m4v? like mp4? why do they say mp4 if it doesn't work?
does it have to be h264?

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007
it is the right format. Do they play in iTunes on your computer? What are their size? If they are too large(in pixels), they might not play on iPhone properly. Do you have a program that can export them to m4v format? You can use Quicktime to export any movie directly to iPod or iPhone format.

THey wouldn't play with iTunes but they played using quicktime

iversonjai

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
h264 didn't work for me...
if you use super...(which is the program that i use to convert) you have to pick the video output format to mpeg-4...that's how i fixed my problem...

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
h264 didn't work for me...
if you use super...(which is the program that i use to convert) you have to pick the video output format to mpeg-4...that's how i fixed my problem...

My mp4's are h264 I think. Apple's are m4v extenders which (I think) denote the copy protection... it's just an extender.

I might be wrong but h264 is an mpeg 4 codec.

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007
thanks for all the info! The problem here is the files im trying to drag into iTunes are mpeg 4 and have h264 written next to them. The message i get sometimes when attempting to sync is iTunes telling me it cant because its wrong format.
You were telling me the audio has to be 44.1? etc..

Is there a software that i can use that will automatically put this or any dvd to the right format for iPhone, without thinking of the fps audio rate , etc...

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007
well ive tried everything a got a software and it was out of sync, why doesn't the iTunes software convert the video files properly. DOES ANYONE know of a software that can convert to the iPhone format? how do i get the best possible image on iPhone? what format must it be?
I simply want software that can convert my dvd files and dvd rips to the iPhone format, any help would be soo great

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
well ive tried everything a got a software and it was out of sync, why doesn't the iTunes software convert the video files properly. DOES ANYONE know of a software that can convert to the iPhone format? how do i get the best possible image on iPhone? what format must it be?
I simply want software that can convert my dvd files and dvd rips to the iPhone format, any help would be soo great
QuickTime Pro ($29) will export to iPhone/iPod format directly into iTunes. Mac or PC. For direct Dvd conversion, use Handbrake.

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007
QuickTime Pro ($29) will export to iPhone/iPod format directly into iTunes. Mac or PC. For direct Dvd conversion, use Handbrake.

So I must use pro to convert any mpeg avi,etc.. to mp4 iPhone?
and handbrake will convert dvd to iPhone? Is handbrake also capable of converting iso or img fileS?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So I must use pro to convert any mpeg avi,etc.. to mp4 iPhone?
and handbrake will convert dvd to iPhone? Is handbrake also capable of converting iso or img fileS?
I don't know that Pro is the ONLY software available, but it does the job.
Here is what you can export any movie file to:

Handbrake has an option to convert any DVD to iPod format.
Once an ISO or IMG file is mounted, Handbrake will be able to read the mounted VIDEO_TS file.

Last edited by a moderator:

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007

ok great so i exported using movie to iPhone, and in i tunes the file is blank , there is audio but its just a white picture? what did i do wrong? should i select iPhone (celular) ?

julienhi

Oct 16, 2007
I don't know that Pro is the ONLY software available, but it does the job.

Handbrake has an option to convert any DVD to iPod format.
Once an ISO or IMG file is mounted, Handbrake will be able to read the mounted VIDEO_TS file.
so basically if i mount a regular iso handbrake will convert? i tried with a dvd and it was taking like 6 hours so ill try and img or iso. as far as qt, i did exactly what you say and it was a white screen?

Last edited by a moderator: