Formating unlocked/jailbroken iPhone 3G

kizel

Sep 30, 2009
I own an unlocked/jail broken iPhone 3G (3.0.1). I would like to sell it as an unlocked/jail broken phone without my data, thus I would like to format it.

I understand if I hook up my iPhone to iTunes to perform a factory restore, it will permanently lock my device.

What is a good way to keep my phone unlocked/jail broken, however, get rid of all my data. Does anybody know of instructions on how to SIMPLY do this?
(note: I am not familiar with using SSH to do this...)

Thank you so much!

kizel

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I own an unlocked/jail broken iPhone 3G (3.0.1). I would like to sell it as an unlocked/jail broken phone without my data, thus I would like to format it.

I understand if I hook up my iPhone to iTunes to perform a factory restore, it will permanently lock my device.

What is a good way to keep my phone unlocked/jail broken, however, get rid of all my data. Does anybody know of instructions on how to SIMPLY do this?
(note: I am not familiar with using SSH to do this...)

Thank you so much!

kizel
There is a jailbreak for 3.1 using a custom ipsw file, if you're on a Mac. Let me know.

kizel

Sep 30, 2009
Yes, I am on a mac. I don't really understand how to do it, so if you could provide instructions I would really appreciate this.

If I use this method, will it update the phone and remove the data, while keeping the jailbreak and unlock?

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008

kizel

Sep 30, 2009
Just to confirm this process will format, jailbreak and unlock my iPhone?

thank you

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Just to confirm this process will format, jailbreak and unlock my iPhone?

thank you
Using the PwnageTool created 3.1 ipsw (as described in the instructions), will allow you to continue to use ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone. The process in the instructions will get you upgraded to the 3.1 firmware and will jailbreak your iPhone and install Cydia. Once that is complete, you may then still use ultrasn0w, available in Cydia, to unlock your iPhone.

kizel

Sep 30, 2009
Excellent! Thank you, but one more thing. If I follow these steps, it will wipe out my data too, right?

Thanks!

Using the PwnageTool created 3.1 ipsw (as described in the instructions), will allow you to continue to use ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone. The process in the instructions will get you upgraded to the 3.1 firmware and will jailbreak your iPhone and install Cydia. Once that is complete, you may then still use ultrasn0w, available in Cydia, to unlock your iPhone.