Found! Coolest app that Apple/AT&T would never allow on iPhone

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
So I had an iPhone for a year and I didn't know this type even existed nor do I think Apple/AT&T would ever allow something like this on the iPhone 3G but for me this has to be one of the coolest apps ever - AND IT'S FREE!

It's called JoikuSpot Light and it's for the Symbian 60 (S60) OS. I just tried it and it basically turns your phone (in my case an Nokia N78) into a 3G Wifi hotspot. It shows up as a regular WiFi hotspot for your laptops, iPod touches, etc. but uses the 3G network. It supports security, even shows who's connected, data info, etc.

It took 2 mins to install and get running. Now I can setup my own WiFi hotspots anywhere for myself and friends for free.

This would be killer on iPhone 3G as well but I doubt Apple will allow something like this.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
So I had an iPhone for a year and I didn't know this type even existed nor do I think Apple/AT&T would ever allow something like this on the iPhone 3G but for me this has to be one of the coolest apps ever - AND IT'S FREE!

It's called JoikuSpot Light and it's for the Symbian 60 (S60) OS. I just tried it and it basically turns your phone (in my case an Nokia N78) into a 3G Wifi hotspot. It shows up as a regular WiFi hotspot for your laptops, iPod touches, etc. but uses the 3G network. It supports security, even shows who's connected, data info, etc.

It took 2 mins to install and get running. Now I can setup my own WiFi hotspots anywhere for myself and friends for free.

This would be killer on iPhone 3G as well but I doubt Apple will allow something like this.
That is indeed very cool and convenient, too, because tethering your EDGE iPhone was a nightmare to set up (on Windows, at least. ) All we would need is a jailbreak - which I am confident we will get. They might not want to allow it but they might have no choice. :)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Thats very cool. I hope someone can jailbreak it soon. I wouldn't have to worry about an internet connection anymore when I take my laptop places anymore.

Pure_dc

May 3, 2008
yeah windows mobile has that and there some regs you have to edited so the company wont find out your doing that

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Great Find! That would be awesome on the iPhone 3G, though as you said, I don't think that Apple would allow that.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky

Dude that is seriously so cool! If I had that app, I would charge people in school to use it when their phones couldnt access the internet:p

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Yup this is Apple, a company dead set to make a profit, but that listens to its customers- sometimes(MMS), and builds or creates beautifully designed products :)
-Apple= Premium Quality

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Ah I recall having this on my old windows mobile phone. Not that program, a similar one though. I remember hooking it up to my comp via usb and broadcasting it to all my friends during classes where we couldn't get wifi signals. Great times. Worked very well too. If Apple doesn't allow it / make it then someone else will ;)

davis5050

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Ok let me get this straight, i am by no means good at this stuff but, are you saying that I can be at home and run the internet on my laptop off my iPhone with this app? And if so can it only be used with 3g and not edge?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
u can do it with edge right now on your v1 iPhone but u need to jailbreak it and go through some tedious steps to tether it

davis5050

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Yeah I read that long long list of directions for edge tethering and it was tooooo complicated for me.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Ok let me get this straight, i am by no means good at this stuff but, are you saying that I can be at home and run the internet on my laptop off my iPhone with this app? And if so can it only be used with 3g and not edge?
Yes, can be 3G or EDGE. Not just at home..ANYWHERE which is the real draw. I no longer need to worry about finding a WiFi spot for my laptop when traveling..I just bring my own :D

Also since the phone acts as a router essentially (you get a NAT address such as 192.168.1.10 or something) AT&T has no clue you're doing this and to them it looks like your phone is just connecting and using the data.

It's the best of both worlds. I tried it again today with a friend at a local park....we were both on the internet at 3G speeds in minutes.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Dude that sounds so cool that it sounds illegal lol!
-Like I said before I would charge people to use it haha! Especially when it can transmit edge and 3G signals :laugh2:

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
I've yet to run into the situation where I had to get onto the internet for something where my phone would not do.

Sounds cool, none the less.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I would be scared to do this though. AT&T can drop us as customers if they find out people do this. And that is a funny avatar :)

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
I would be scared to do this though. AT&T can drop us as customers if they find out people do this. And that is a funny avatar :)
If you just did it for your own laptop usage, they would probably never know (since we have a full Internet browser and whatnot).

And thanks for the props on the avatar. How can anyone not love Stewie?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Wouldn't this be a bit pointless as, as goobs said, we could just access the internet on our iPhones, though I guess if your friends can use it too.
I third that your avatar is awesome, goobs.