Found great free software for creating ringtones.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
I found a great program called wavepad. it is very user friendly. it lets you take any song, or other audio file, and you can edit that song. you can choose where to start the begging of the ringtone and how long you want it and then you just save it as m4a and convert it to m4r. also you can make the actual file louder so that you have loud ringtones that you can actually hear lol. its not designed as a ringtone maker but i found that it works perfectly and best of all its FREE!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Wavepad is great - I've been using it for quite a while to do my ringtones and all my other audio projects.

- John

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
That's spam, above me.

Wavepad is great - I've been using it for quite a while to do my ringtones and all my other audio projects.

- John
not so sure it's spam, the OP is a frequent poster and I think he just wanted to share a tip that he's found.

I agree Wavepad is a pretty cool program. I still prefer GarageBand though.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
That's spam, above me.

- John
nope not spam just trying to be nice, spent some time trying to find some good software then found wavepad :)

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
not so sure it's spam, the OP is a frequent poster and I think he just wanted to share a tip that he's found.

i have a pc and as far as i know garageband is only for mac, or am i wrong?

foamtech

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
wavepad? m4r ?

hi ..i been trying to make ringtones with wavepad but did not let me convert the song from m4a to m4r ..it said i need to buy the full version of wavepad ..can u please tell me how to get around that ..thanks
I found a great program called wavepad. it is very user friendly. it lets you take any song, or other audio file, and you can edit that song. you can choose where to start the begging of the ringtone and how long you want it and then you just save it as m4a and convert it to m4r. also you can make the actual file louder so that you have loud ringtones that you can actually hear lol. its not designed as a ringtone maker but i found that it works perfectly and best of all its FREE!

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
hi ..i been trying to make ringtones with wavepad but did not let me convert the song from m4a to m4r ..it said i need to buy the full version of wavepad ..can u please tell me how to get around that ..thanks
You do not "convert" from m4a to m4r, you simply change the extension. Where ever you save your m4a output file, just right click on the file and select rename and change the extension from m4a to m4r.

foamtech

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
these are the steps i am trying to follow ..
1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right

but when i get to step 8 ..nothing will happen ....
You do not "convert" from m4a to m4r, you simply change the extension. Where ever you save your m4a output file, just right click on the file and select rename and change the extension from m4a to m4r.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".

foamtech

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
ok thanks again ..i got that part takeing care of ..but now ..after i renamed it to a ringtone its still in the librery as a song and not as a ringtone ..and after i connected to iPhone it said that (did not copy cos iPhone could not play it ... so what do u think i should do ..thanks
Read the quote in your post. You have to manually change the extension by right clicking on the m4a file and select rename and then type m4r.

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Dude you are TRULY making this way harder than it is. It is like your making your own [SIZE=-1]"Rube Goldberg" for iPhone ringtones.

What you need to do is simply drag the mr4 file and drop it in iTunes in the Ringtone folder.
[/SIZE]

foamtech

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
but dude... its not letting me ..it telling me i phone will not paly it ..i can't drag it to put it in the ringtone ..its on itune but as a song .. are u sure this muthed will work on 1.0.2 ?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

There was a spam post between mine and the OP; it was removed. My apologies to the OP.

- John