found new hardware problem.

soon2beeh

Dec 30, 2008
so i recently tried to update my ipod touch from firmware 2.1.1 to 2.2, i was able to get the download done & once i went to try & update it, it just totally went into recovery mode. this is an unjailbroken ipod & i haven't tried to jailbreak it. well lets just get to the point.
now my ipod is in recovery mode & wont get out ive tried to hold the home button & all the stuff & it still doesn't work.
what happens is when i plug my ipod to the usb cord there is a pop up that says "DRIVER NEEDS TO INSTALL DRIVER SOFTWARE FOR APPLE MOBILE DEVICE (RECOVERY MODE)".
i don't know what to do. ive tried using a different usb cord, ive tried plugging the usb to a different port on the computer, ive tried looking on youtube, & ive tried looking everywhere online & no one seems to have it.
i am getting so sick & tired of this i need help please..someone help me.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Silly question, but is your iTunes the latest version? It is very possible that is the problem, as the driver comes from iTunes, and not the firmware.
If you are using the latest iTunes, try reinstalling. If you aren't, definitely update and then try connecting your Touch.

soon2beeh

Dec 30, 2008
yes my iTunes in updated to the latest version. Ive tried to unistall it & reinstall it & it still didn't work. let me try & do it again to see if iTunes recognizes my ipod if not i don't know whats going on can someone tell me.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
ok, let's run over the other basics. 1 have you tried a different cable? if you don't have one, can you borrow a friends?
and have you tried a different port? sometimes that plays an important role as well.

Ok, this is continuing with the assumption that you tried the above and it didm't work. Since you didn't state MAC or PC, I'll role with what I know and give you the PC instructions.
go into control panel, Administrative tools, services. Locate Apple Mobile Device and see if it is running. If it isn't, there is a LARGE portion of your problem.
IF it is running, stop it, connect your ipod, then start it again with iTunes open. wait 5 minutes to see if it identifies your device. If it does, run with it and update the firmware. if it doesn't, then in my personal opinion, it's possibly the cable or a dirty connector pin

soon2beeh

Dec 30, 2008
yes ive tried 3..yes ive tried a different port.
i have a pc. i went into the control panel, administrative tools,services but the Apple mobile device wasn't in there it was in the device manager. but i did end up finding it. its running but has one of those yellow triangle things with the exclamation mark in it. i tried to update the device but it wont, it tells me that i need a disc but the ipod never came with a disk so im kinda lost.
iTunes cant read my ipod still, & my computer thinks that its a mobile device.
HELP!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
yes ive tried 3..yes ive tried a different port.
i have a pc. i went into the control panel, administrative tools,services but the Apple mobile device wasn't in there it was in the device manager. but i did end up finding it. its running but has one of those yellow triangle things with the exclamation mark in it. i tried to update the device but it wont, it tells me that i need a disc but the ipod never came with a disk so im kinda lost.
iTunes cant read my ipod still, & my computer thinks that its a mobile device.
HELP!
OK, that explains a LOT. First, what version of Windows? If it's 2000 that is your problem right there. iTune does not support Win2K.
If you are on XP, the something with your iTune install went wrong because you should have a service - not a device- running under services.
reboot into safe mode and uninstall iTunes and then reboot and install it again.

soon2beeh

Dec 30, 2008
how do i know what windows i run?i know im running vista

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Vista is fine. Sounds like your driver is corrupt. Simply uninstalling iTunes may not do it. I would try this:

-go back to device manager (where you saw the yellow exclamation point)
-right click on the Apple mobile device
-select "uninstall"
-finally uninstall and reinstall iTunes again.

hopefully that'll do it.

soon2beeh

Dec 30, 2008
i tried that and it still didn't work..
thats what shows up everytime i hook the ipod on to the computer

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, the next thing i would try is a different computer, if you haven't already. It's very possible it's your ipod.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would uninstall both the aforementioned driver and iTunes, reinstall iTunes and try again.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's what i suggested... did he say he didn't uninstall both?

soon2beeh

Dec 30, 2008
i unistalled the "Apple mobile device" & iTunes.

grd94533

Dec 14, 2008
My advice is to find someone with a mac and then try it. If you don't know anyone who has a mac then take it to a store that sells macs and ask them if you can plug your ipod in. The ipod is more compatible with mac computers since they are both made by Apple.

grd94533

Dec 14, 2008
Another thing you can try is to use system restore and restore your computer back to a time before you first plugged you ipod into it.

Feb 23, 2009
Hi. I had the same problem.

What I did was uninstall iTunes and made sure to uninstall anything else that had to do with iTunes. Here's a link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

I also made sure to uninstall the Apple mobile device from the device manager (the thing with the yellow exclamation point) and also the Apple Mobile Device Support from "Add or Remove Programs".

After that I restarted the computer and installed iTunes again: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Once all of that was finished, I opened iTunes and then connected my ipod touch to the computer. The ipod was detected and it prompted me to restore the ipod.

I hope this helps anyone who had this problem.