Found out how to lengthen battery life on 4s

Hi folks. I read on Pulse that if you go into system settings and turn off the time zone option it reduces the drag on the battery. I tested it and it works! Usually by morning my phone is at 53 percent. Today it was 73.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Ok I'm trying this out as well and have just turned mine off.

-Does anyone know what the benefit of having that turned on, I mean we did fine w/out it before the update apparently.

The article goes into how it sets the time zone by searching cell towers or something...wondering what the mean basically.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Ok I'm trying this out as well and have just turned mine off.

-Does anyone know what the benefit of having that turned on, I mean we did fine w/out it before the update apparently.

The article goes into how it sets the time zone by searching cell towers or something...wondering what the mean basically.
Not 100% on this but I believe all it does is check where you are at some frequency and if you have crossed time zones (say on vacation, driving across country etc), it will automatically update your clock.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Not 100% on this but I believe all it does is check where you are at some frequency and if you have crossed time zones (say on vacation, driving across country etc), it will automatically update your clock.
Oh gotcha, funny they decided to add this option now, I figured that's something the AT&T network would realize for you and update by using your network connection not by a special setting in the phone.

-Funny I can't picture a bunch of people running late for things/oversleeping cause they're in a different time zone. Was thinking our network is smart enough to pick that up.

iBoss

Contributor
Bronze
Oct 15, 2011
No difference on mine. I tried it since yesterday and nothing! But that's just me I'm pretty sure it's gonna help others!

Sent from my iPhone4(S) iCafe

shugo

Bronze
Sep 3, 2011
Oh gotcha, funny they decided to add this option now, I figured that's something the AT&T network would realize for you and update by using your network connection not by a special setting in the phone.

-Funny I can't picture a bunch of people running late for things/oversleeping cause they're in a different time zone. Was thinking our network is smart enough to pick that up.
It used to be that if you crossed timezones/ daylight savings time changed that you had to power the phone off for the time to change. This feature let's you keep your iPhone on.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
It used to be that if you crossed timezones/ daylight savings time changed that you had to power the phone off for the time to change. This feature let's you keep your iPhone on.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app
My old Palm Treo was like that.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No difference on mine. I tried it since yesterday and nothing! But that's just me I'm pretty sure it's gonna help others!
It didn't help me, either. My battery still drains from 100% to the 70s while I'm sleeping.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Adjusted some of the settings suggested and I think it did help, in my case. I want to give it one more day to really see though.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Well I feel certain it fixed mine. I could literally watch the percentage go down while using it before. Not now. It stays on each percentage number a lot longer. My battery usually was dead by 5:30 and I had to charge it on the was home. It's still going at 10:31pm! Never done that before.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
I don't understand how you guys could have such horrible battery life, I usually go from 100% to 90% while sleeping on my 4S.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't understand how you guys could have such horrible battery life, I usually go from 100% to 90% while sleeping on my 4S.
I wish I didn't understand, either. ;)

Woody dog

Bronze
Sep 22, 2009
Lancaster,Ohio
The time zone helped me out I when from 3.5hrs on full charge to 6.5hrs after disabling it the other day. Just having other issues now