Foxconn Conditions: An Opinion

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Conditions at Foxconn seem to be a hot topic nowadays, but I'm not so sure that some people out there aren't making a mountain out of a molehill.

I've read a lot of reports that state that conditions at Foxconn are the same as at other factories there, plus... I just recently learned that the employees "pay $.70 per meal for their own food, and many live in dorms that sleep six to eight a room for $17.50 each month." $, not ¥!

I used to spend more than $17.50, weekly, via public transportation simply to get to my job [in Miami, I know--big city, higher cost-of-living]. And the commute took almost two hours. The same commute would take 30 minutes by car (a luxury I was only able to afford for only a few years, in the past). My meals at work (which I had to pay despite working in a hospital where doctors [who need the help less, right?] got all the free food they wanted and those of us who made smaller salaries [all of us except the doctors] didn't get this perk). I would spend $5 easily for lunch alone--a burger, fries, and a Coke.

Moving on, here's quote from this article:

"And yet here [the Chinese workers] are, lining up to work! Apparently, even those conditions [at Foxconn], so abhorrent to us, are actually better than [the] alternatives: backbreaking rural farm work that doesn’t prepare them to move up the work force food chain."

I don't mean to sound heartless, but there other factors at play here. An example: The population density for the USA (2012) is 83/mi². The population density for China (2012) is 363/mi². How can one reasonably expect working conditions to be the same for both countries?

I'm expecting many dissenting opinions and I welcome them. :)

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I for one would rather be a Foxconn assembler vs say a Chiquita banana picker or a Haitian cane worker.

At least a place that is economically diverse and busy, might have better hopes in a competition for labour leading to an more equitable arrangement.

Sent from Tapatalk