Free add custom ringtones to iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iPhone3.0

Jul 6, 2007
100% GUARANTEE
Here is the method to add you own custom ringtones to your iPhone.

Requierement:
iTunes 7.4.

1. Install iTunes 7.4, restart the system.
2. Open iTunes
3. Convert a song.mp3 to AAC (from your playlist)

4. This song will be in the /iTunes Music/
(if that the default iTunes music folder)

5. Now let's convert that song to a Ringtone. We need to change the .m4a to .m4r (very simple).

5A. If you don't see .m4a, go to Control Panel/Fonder Options/View/
Uncheck [ ] hide extensions....etc.

6. After you convert it to .m4r, open it, it will be in your iPhone Ringtone Folder.

Click on your iPhone in iTunes, and go to the ringtone section. You should now see your new ringtone. If you want to be sure about the sync, feel free to click "selected ringtones" and check off the file explicitly, though this shouldn't be required.

ENJOY IT!
iPhone3.0
Credit to: Macrumors
Forgot about that.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
100% GARANTEE

Here is the method to add you own custom ringtones to your iPhone.

Requierement:
iTunes 7.4.

1. Install iTunes 7.4, restart the system.
2. Open iTunes
3. Convert a song.mp3 to AAC (from your playlist)

4. This song will be in the /iTunes Music/
(if that the default iTunes music folder)

5. Now let's convert that song to a Ringtone. We need to change the .m4a to .m4r (very simple).

5A. If you don't see .mp3, go to Control Panel/Fonder Options/View/
Uncheck [ ] hide extensions....etc.

6. After you convert it to .m4r, open it, it will be in your iPhone Ringtone Folder.

Click on your iPhone in iTunes, and go to the ringtone section. You should now see your new ringtone. If you want to be sure about the sync, feel free to click "selected ringtones" and check off the file explicitly, though this shouldn't be required.

ENJOY IT!
iPhone3.0
I couldn't figure out how to see the extension. Thanks for your help bro!

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Yeah, it's a 100% guarantee to show up in iTunes. 0% guarantee to show up on the iPhone.

It isn't working for me. When you open the .m4r file, it deletes it and adds it to the Ringtones list. Syncing hangs.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4146870&posted=1#post4146870

Actually this process works great. Check out the above post, many have tried it already.

It does work for Mac, principle is the same.

Just some tips, full instructions can be read at above link.

Add Ringtone mp3 file to iTunes and convert to AAC.

Find new AAC file in iTunes music folder.
Right click AAC file and click "Get Info" to change it to "M4R" extension.

You have to delete the AAC file in iTunes player. Then reopen the new M4R to iTunes.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
works for pc also no hacking required

works great for PC also. no jailbreak etc. required FOr PC's though you have to see the file extensions for it to work

Open up any folder. CLick the "tools" tab. Then drag down to "folder options". Then click the "view" tab. Then unclick the box that says "hide extensions for known file types". Then you can see and edit the extensions right in the filename. ..(mac users, all together now, yell "what the heck do you have to do all that for, must be a PC!")

Just set up "william shattner sings Mr. Tamborine man" as the ringtone, sweeeet

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Also I noticed that the new ringtones which were from songs are definitely louder than the Apple standard ringtones. I used to put the ringer to loudest setting now it's halfway and loud. That's my experience anyway...

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I think one helpful step was omitted.

before you convert the song to aac, get info and set the start and stop time. That way when you convert, it is only the 30 secs or so that you want for the ringtone...saves a lot of space.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I think one helpful step was omitted.

before you convert the song to aac, get info and set the start and stop time. That way when you convert, it is only the 30 secs or so that you want for the ringtone...saves a lot of space.
Good point. Also it seems to be limited to 3.1 MB per song on the ringtone (via Sobe at Macrumors) ...just so no one thinks there is a 30 second limit. For the PC I used gold wave? or gold something or other that is free to try on download.com. WIth that or other editors you can start your ringtone anywhere in the song you like (the chorus for example) and then paste other parts of the song (the start for example) behind it. Good if you want to have the most catchy part of the song to start off your ringtone. I like my ringtones very long because sometimes I miss calls because I don't hear it.

miamibusta69

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
you must delete the old acc file on your iTunes before clicking the new one. btw it works amazing don't tell every one Apple will stop this :(

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
This works great. The only problem I see is that doesn't seem to be a way to delete a ringtone. You can't do it from the iPhone ringtone tab and it doesn't show up in the Library list. Even if I do into the folder on disk where the ringtones are (the iTunes home directory/Ringtones) and delete the file it still shows up in the Ringtone tab.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
This works great. The only problem I see is that doesn't seem to be a way to delete a ringtone. You can't do it from the iPhone ringtone tab and it doesn't show up in the Library list. Even if I do into the folder on disk where the ringtones are (the iTunes home directory/Ringtones) and delete the file it still shows up in the Ringtone tab.
There are some solutions to that on the macrumors thread. Suggest starting from the last page and working your way forward.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4149513&posted=1#post4149513

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I am using Vista Ultimate and I do not have a convert to AAC. It only says convert to MP3 which the file already is? Any suggestions. I could do it at work, but not at home very odd. The only difference between here and work is the office comp is running XP. Anyone with Vista figured this out?