Free add custom ringtones to iPhone

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I am using Vista Ultimate and I do not have a convert to AAC. It only says convert to MP3 which the file already is? Any suggestions. I could do it at work, but not at home very odd. The only difference between here and work is the office comp is running XP. Anyone with Vista figured this out?
in iTunes go to preferences/advanced/importing and change "import using" to aac encoder.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I have Vista...i converted to AAC, but i do not see how to change the extension to M4R. Confused help
For xp this works:

Open up any folder. CLick the "tools" tab. Then drag down to "folder options". Then click the "view" tab. Then unclick the box that says "hide extensions for known file types". Then you can see and edit the extensions right in the filename.

aliphoner

Jul 22, 2007
I am using Vista Ultimate and I do not have a convert to AAC. It only says convert to MP3 which the file already is? Any suggestions. I could do it at work, but not at home very odd. The only difference between here and work is the office comp is running XP. Anyone with Vista figured this out?
I had the same problem. You have your itune settings to encode to mp3. In iTunes click on 'edit' then 'preferences' then click the advanced tab and click the import tab. Change your 'encode to mp3' to encode to aac. then when you right the click the song it should give an option to convert to aac.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
re: I am using Vista Ultimate and I do not have a convert to AAC. It only says convert to MP3 which the file already is? Any suggestions. I could do it at work, but not at home very odd. The only difference between here and work is the office comp is running XP. Anyone with Vista figured this out?

in xp you can right click the song in iTunes and choose "convert to aac" Is this available in Vista? After you convert it to aac drag it to the desktop, change the extension (not the filname) to .m4r, then delete the file in iTunes, then double click the file on the desktop.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Click the ringtones tab in iTunes
check sync ringtones
check selected ringtones
check the name of the ringtone
hit apply at the bottom

Last edited by a moderator:

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
in xp you can right click the song in iTunes and choose "convert to aac" Is this available in Vista? After you convert it to aac drag it to the desktop, change the extension (not the filname) to .m4r, then delete the file in iTunes, then double click the file on the desktop.
Please read the thread first but here it is again: ;)

Not a Vista issue, just a prefs issue.

iPhone3.0

Jul 6, 2007
I did it with Vista

I'm running Vista.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
shot in the dark, are you using 1.02 OS on phone? One guy on the macforum post had to restart his phone (maybe undocking it would work)? It should work if you see it under ringtones and you sync... Is it under 3.1 MB?

I would dig around in the macrumors thread because there is a lot of discussion there

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351495

Last edited by a moderator:

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
re: I am using Vista Ultimate and I do not have a convert to AAC. It only says convert to MP3 which the file already is? Any suggestions. I could do it at work, but not at home very odd. The only difference between here and work is the office comp is running XP. Anyone with Vista figured this out?

It is a iTunes setting that is the problem.

In iTunes:
Click Edit
Click Preferences
click advanced
click importing
change import using to ACC Encoder
Click Save

Now go to iTunes a right click the song. You should see convert to Acc.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
This is a great solution even though you can't use the iTunes editor / trimmer. I have the PERFECT solution to that. Reaper.

www.reaperaudio.com Basically free.

Use this to trim your audio, the section you want to use as a ringtone, and then render it to mp3. Import into iTunes and do the Free Ringtone thingy.

Thanks.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
This is a great solution even though you can't use the iTunes editor / trimmer. I have the PERFECT solution to that. Reaper.

www.reaperaudio.com Basically free.

Use this to trim your audio, the section you want to use as a ringtone, and then render it to mp3. Import into iTunes and do the Free Ringtone thingy.

Thanks.
what does this do differently than iTunes?

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
what does this do differently than iTunes?
It's a full featured editor daw, so you can tweak your file and trim it. I don't think the iTunes trimmer will work on songs you don't buy. It appeared in the demo it didn't actually trim or write the new file until you actually buy it.

So, even though this is a good thing if you don't have an audio editor you still need a way to trim the file before doing this procedure. Unless you just use the whole song.

What I did was load an mp3 into Reaper, trimmed it down to about a 20 second clip of the section I wanted and exported it (rendered it) to My Music in a new folder I made named "Tones" so all my edited song segments will be in one place.

I then follow the instructions in this thread to make it a ringtone. Put one on my phone to test. Works fine.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
It's a full featured editor daw, so you can tweak your file and trim it. I don't think the iTunes trimmer will work on songs you don't buy. It appeared in the demo it didn't trim (write the new file) until you actually buy.

What I did was load an mp3 into Reaper, trimmed it down to about a 20 second clip of the section I wanted and exported it (rendered it) to My Music in a new folder I made named "Tones".

I then follow the instructions in this thread to make it a ringtone. Put one on my phone to test. Works fine.
Went to the website (as I should have before I asked) and yes it looks like garageband. Looks like a nice program for windows users. iTunes doesn't do mixing, but it will trim.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
What I did was load an mp3 into Reaper, trimmed it down to about a 20 second clip of the section I wanted and exported it (rendered it) to My Music in a new folder I made named "Tones" so all my edited song segments will be in one place.
this part you can do in iTunes.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
On Mac:
As stated by others above, you can pick the part of song to convert by:

Right clicking the source song in iTunes, then click "Get info"

then click "Options" and enter desired start and stop time.
Now convert to AAC.

You'll have to change time back so your source mp3 file will play completely for regular playback.

BTW- I'm sure the roadblock for most will be changing extension to m4r and deleting old AAC file.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
this part you can do in iTunes.
Cool.

i get the start and stop time thing. As someone who does a lot of audio editing it's a lot easier to do it in a graphic editor.

I'll try this way just to see.