Free add custom ringtones to iPhone

jealous17

Aug 31, 2007
ok guys. i did this and got it to work. had ringtones and got happy. but am i wrong in saying that you cant have the song in your library anymore meaning you cant have it on your ipod part of the phone?
its one or the other correct?

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Ok I tried it.

Start / stop in info is workable but how do you get the start stop times you want to use? You can't (or can you?) audition it from there.

Using an external editor like Garage Band or Reaper to just make a new separate file of the section (and more easily auditioning the section you want) seems a better way to go. And it leaves the original file intact.

By the time you've played around with the song in iTunes trying to locate start/stop times for a section you want without any graphic display to guide you, you could've trimmed a few in an editor already.

To each his own. Great ringtone solution.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
ok guys. i did this and got it to work. had ringtones and got happy. but am i wrong in saying that you cant have the song in your library anymore meaning you cant have it on your ipod part of the phone?
its one or the other correct?
Good Q. My ringtone is on the phone and on regular iTunes including a custom playlist. It wouldn't let me drag it to any of the standard Apple playlists though (big deal, I don't use them). So I know it works that way.

I would guess that probably by renaming the song or renaming plus converting a duplicate back to .m4a (aac) or maybe MP3? would make iTunes see it as a different song? I will have to experiment with it this evening but somebody should be able to give input before then to say definatively.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Ok I tried it.

Start / stop in info is workable but how do you get the start stop times you want to use? You can't (or can you?) audition it from there.

Using an external editor like Garage Band or Reaper to just make a new separate file of the section (and more easily auditioning the section you want) seems a better way to go. And it leaves the original file intact.

By the time you've played around with the song in iTunes trying to locate start/stop times for a section you want without any graphic display to guide you, you could've trimmed a few in an editor already.

To each his own. Great ringtone solution.
I agree using the editor as the very first step is the best option unless you are happy with the song exactly as is. Never played with an editor before today but after downloading free to use gold wave I was able to rearrange parts of a song and put them in different places in just a few minutes and it sounds professional.

jealous17

Aug 31, 2007
Good Q. My ringtone is on the phone and on regular iTunes including a custom playlist. It wouldn't let me drag it to any of the standard Apple playlists though (big deal, I don't use them). So I know it works that way.

I would guess that probably by renaming the song or renaming plus converting a duplicate back to .m4a (aac) or maybe MP3? would make iTunes see it as a different song? I will have to experiment with it this evening but somebody should be able to give input before then to say definatively.
that is a good idea. i don't see why that shouldnt work. awesome thinking!

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
This works great. The only problem I see is that doesn't seem to be a way to delete a ringtone. You can't do it from the iPhone ringtone tab and it doesn't show up in the Library list. Even if I do into the folder on disk where the ringtones are (the iTunes home directory/Ringtones) and delete the file it still shows up in the Ringtone tab.

Originally Posted by delsurf at macrumors...

OK, I had the same problem with deleting Ringtones because I accidentally clicked on a .m4r file twice, which put two copies in my Ringtones Tab. I deleted the files from the Ringtones folder, then followed these instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

And now they're gone. If you still have trouble try deleting the song you made the ringtone from, then delete the song before doing the above step, then reimport that song after you rebuild.

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
In regards to trimming a song in iTunes:

When you convert an mp3 song on your iTunes playlist to AAC
you do not have to delete the original mp3 song from the playlist. Because when iTunes converts, it actually creates a new AAC file. The original mp3 song is still there and you do not need to delete it and it can be played as normal.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Buggy. It worked perfectly for the first one.

After that (I trimmed and imported 2 more) it got buggy. The first one was gone although it was still checked, the second one didn't get listed at all and the third one was in my "Sounds" library on the iPhone 3 times.

I played them to make sure and it was the same ringtone 3 times. I go remove them all (uncheck sync ringtones) and they're all gone. Sync one. Perfect. Sync two .. buggy.

Needs some work here.

Can you guys get multiple ringtones? I can't.

jealous17

Aug 31, 2007

just verified. this does work. all i did when you delete the original mp3 is i 'cut' it to my desktop and renamed it and after i finished everything else imported it back to iTunes and presto. in my ipod and ringtones.
notes
make sure to put it back into your playlist for your iPhone if it was originally there.
and although you rename it on the desktop, once you import it back everything looks the same as before so all is good!

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Buggy. It worked perfectly for the first one.

After that (I trimmed and imported 2 more) it got buggy. The first one was gone although it was still checked, the second one didn't get listed at all and the third one was in my "Sounds" library on the iPhone 3 times.

I played them to make sure and it was the same ringtone 3 times. I go remove them all (uncheck sync ringtones) and they're all gone. Sync one. Perfect. Sync two .. buggy.

Needs some work here.

Can you guys get multiple ringtones? I can't.
Multiple ringtones are working for me. One guy said he could only put 6 on.

Sounds like your problem is where/how iTunes puts the file when importing. Are the file names all different? Are all 3 files the same in terms of no protection? Are they all under 3.1 MB? Do you have some free space on your phone? Of course it could be an iTunes corruption issue. My iTunes started doing weird things (not ringtone realted) like that about 3 weeks ago and I had to reinstall.

Here is another method to load songs I think that Peace at macrumors posted but that may not address the problem you are having:

The best conversion method I've found is this :

Open the song in Quicktime.
Export it as "Movie to iPhone"
This way it's ready for the iPhone.Just change the extension from *.m4v to *.m4r.

Works like a charm

Yes. The ringtone is still on the hard drive and listed in the ringtone tab.That's because it's in a folder called ringtones.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
solution from JW008 at macrumors if you haven't got it figured out yet.

Originally Posted by JW008
Figured it out! Uncheck the ringtones tab in iTunes then sync, then recheck the ringtones tab and sync! Hope that helps Ted and MacRaider!

I could see the ringtones in the ringtone tab on iTunes, but it wasn't syncing. I unchecked "sync ringtones" as JW0008 suggested, and performed a sync. Then I rechecked and performed another sync and voila, it appeared on my iPhone. Thank you JW0008

Last edited by a moderator:

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
100% GUARANTEE
Here is the method to add you own custom ringtones to your iPhone.

ENJOY IT!
iPhone3.0
iPhone 3.0, you are not claiming that you came up with this right? The way you signed it it does look like you are saying that. And the screenshots you used are taken directly form Cleverboys original post. Cleverboy on macrumors came up with it so I hope you are not trying to take credit for his work. Getting the word out to people is appreciated but you should cite your source for this info and not try to claim it as your own. I didn't see any mention of Cleverboy or Macrumors on your post.

brittt1

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
working great for me thanks for posting this here with a little more detail. I too read this in macrumours earlier today at work was waititng for it to be more concise on this site, so thanks again.

I was about to splurge $15 on iPhoneringtonemaker but thank god i waited...this is super easy. I guess the guys at iPhoneringtonemaker prob new this was coming sooner than later..

Ooops forgot to mention that you can still user iPhoneringtonemaker to create custom files, crop etc, in Trial or fuly activated mode...

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
did you delete the old file in iTunes before double clicking the new .m4r file?

Did you make sure the file extension has changed, not just the filename?

Is it under 3.1 mb?

try an unprotected song to make sure that is not the issue

brittt1

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
After i changed mine to .m4r i double clicked on the new file and it disappeared, i then checked under iTunes Directory and a new folder called ringtones '\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones'

It had been automatically moved here by iTunes. I then checked under iPhone and ringtones (in iTunes) and it was there...

you just have to make sure you double click or play the file after renaming it.. iTunes seems to do the rest.

listenclose

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
After i changed mine to .m4r i double clicked on the new file and it disappeared, i then checked under iTunes Directory and a new folder called ringtones '\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones'

It had been automatically moved here by iTunes. I then checked under iPhone and ringtones (in iTunes) and it was there...

you just have to make sure you double click or play the file after renaming it.. iTunes seems to do the rest.
Ok I get it to show up but it wont show up on the phone.