Free or unlimited text between iOS 5 users?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Jwp449, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Jwp449

Jwp449 New Member

I currently have an iPhone with iOS 5. Is text messaging free between iOS 5 users? How can I be sure my carrier is not charging me when I send a text to another iOS 5 user?

#1 Jwp449, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

it's called imessage

3. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

iMessage won't count towards your text messaging plan, but it will use up data on your data plan. Depends on the package you have, if you go over your data limit then it's not free.

4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

To use it you need to have the other person's mobile phone listed as "iPhone" in your contacts. Then text messages default to iMessage.

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I have someone who's phone is not listed as iPhone and it goes through iMessage. ?

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

None of mine are listed as iPhone and they all work. I quit using iPhone label because they synced to Outlook as "Other" which created duplicates.

7. (L)

(L) Contributor
    Bronze

The other device has to be running iOS 5 in order to be sent as an iMessage.

8. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Awesome! My texts to my son's iPhone didn't go through as iMessage until I changed his contact to reflect his iPhone. But if it works automatically that's super!

9. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I thought I read some where that if the text goes through iMessage to another iPhone ios5 the text bubble is blue. If not it is green.
    Tom

10. raziiq

raziiq New Member

Yes that is true. If msg is sent using iMessages, its blue, if its a SMS its green.

11. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

Yeah I think it only ha to be running ios5. Don't think it matters about how it's listed.

12. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

One thing you might want remember, iMessage is free IF the Apple servers are NOT BUSY. If they're busy it'll go through the cellular carrier and you will be charged for that text if you don't have a text messaging plan. That's why for my normal texting I use Google Voice which is always free and I use TextNow for all my texting when I'm outside of the USA because it's also free and also has picture texting..

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

That's what I thought so I changed a couple just to check. Still showed as blue. I have had them go through as regular though. so like AeroCare mentioned I guess it is dependent on Apples servers.

14. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

Am I missing something, I know it has no bearing on iMessage, but I just checked and I no longer have the ability to label a contact as iPhone. Anyone else see this in iOS5?

15. Bitewound

Bitewound Evangelist
    Gold

No, it's still there

16. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

Not there for me bite...I figured it out, its cause of google contacts. I synced all my contacts with mobile me instead and its back. Thanks for lookin brooklyn

17. alone979503

alone979503 New Member

Hi team

What is the different if I am using Whatsup app for sending messages between our friends and Imessage

What is the advantage between two

18. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

The difference is Whatsapp is telephony based so it will not work on "WiFi only" type devices like Ipods. It is associated with your phone number.

19. KevJD

KevJD Member
    Bronze

Not if you turn off "Send as SMS" in the settings. This way, it will not default back to regular SMS if the servers are down.