free public WiFi

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mackjr

Dec 23, 2007
sorry, not sure if this is the right place for this. I have been traveling a lot lately, and I have noticed getting a wifi network called free public wifi. I get it in very odd places, like in the middle of nowhere, and even when driving in a car it stays on for a really long time. Plus, its not real. It shows up as the wifi icon and in settings, but doesn't give Internet or anything. Anyobdy know what the deal is?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
sorry, not sure if this is the right place for this. I have been traveling a lot lately, and I have noticed getting a wifi network called free public wifi. I get it in very odd places, like in the middle of nowhere, and even when driving in a car it stays on for a really long time. Plus, its not real. It shows up as the wifi icon and in settings, but doesn't give Internet or anything. Anyobdy know what the deal is?
Some people can create a false wifi hotspot by using their laptop or cell phone's internet and naming it 'free wifi' and such. Then when you try to log in to it, they can access your phone/laptop and get info from it. This what I've heard, but I don't know much about it.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
I read on google that this is somewhat of a virus that is going around that originated at some node and when you attempt to connect to it the computer you are connecting to loads it onto your computer and you begin to broadcast. Its a pretty big security hole and the only way I've found to get rid of it is for you to go to the properties on your wireless card's properties and the wireless networks tab and then remove the free public wifi, that should do the trick :)