Free SDK v $99 SDK

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
Well, as many of you know, today (March 6,2008) Apple. Inc released the software development kit (SDK) for the iPhone. For those of you who do not know what the SDK is, it is a utility developed (and released) by Apple that allows the user to create for the iPhone, and either distribute them privately (independently of Apple), or to have Apple distribute the application via the iTunes Store and take 30% of the profit.

Here's the difference: when downloading the free Software Development Kit from Apple, what you are downloading is the bare minimum application-set (distribution via Apple Inc. not included). Basically this means that applications such as Xcode IDE, instruments, simulator, frameworks and samples, compilers, and the shark analysis tool are all included in the free package. Unfortunately, being the free version, you can only run your developed application(s) in a simulator (to test functionality), but you cannot actually run it straight from the iPhone.
In buying the $99.00 standard program (or the $299.00 enterprise program), in addition to receiving the application-set (as included in the free SDK), you are also receiving iTunes Store “shelf space”. By “shelf space” I mean that Apple will publicly host your iPhone application on the iTunes Store, and allow consumers to buy it directly from Apple (as opposed to downloading it from a privately owned website).
There is one downside to having Apple host your application, Apple is entitled to 30% of your total profits (in some cases this may not even be a downside because popularity of being on the iTunes Store + profit may outweigh the 30% taken by Apple). Unlike the free version, the standard program has many added benefits, in addition to having the ability to actually run your application straight from your iPhone (not only in simulator), you can also distribute it privately, gain access to pre-release software, get , and various other features not included in the free version.
As of right now, one must apply to the iPhone developer program (if I understand correctly it is in "beta"), I am also under the impression that you will need to apply for the developer program until June, at which point anybody will be able to pay the fees ($99.00 or $299.00) and gain access to the developer program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I believe that's referring to the SDK download for free and the $99 fee for Apple to host your apps... maybe.

- John

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I don't think this is 100% accurate. The $99 fee is just to host your app in the iTunes app store, not for running it on your iPhone to test it. They have an Enterprise program for $299 (like stated above) where you can do this but I don't think they have a program for $99 to do this.

Of course I could be completely wrong and just have embarrassed myself, but I'm pretty sure I am right.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that whoever opts for the FREE version can make iPhone apps, but cant distribute them to an iPhone or even iTunes? If this is the case, then why even bother offering a free version of the SDK?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
Because if u build something u like and r proud of then u can pay the 99$ and put it put there. The free part is so that basically anyone can try.

TomRS

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
depthnerd,

After watching the video, the release of the 2.0 software in June will have the appstore included and will be the only way to get legit apps on your iPhone. You won't need to pay for the app store, but people will be able to designate whatever price they want for their app. Jobs also said that if you want to charge nothing then Apple will charge the consumer nothing.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
depthnerd,

After watching the video, the release of the 2.0 software in June will have the appstore included and will be the only way to get legit apps on your iPhone. You won't need to pay for the app store, but people will be able to designate whatever price they want for their app. Jobs also said that if you want to charge nothing then Apple will charge the consumer nothing.
Yeah I know that :p But I mean it has the AppStore highlighted saying Free but it doesn't come with the Free package only the 99.99 dollar one.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that whoever opts for the FREE version can make iPhone apps, but cant distribute them to an iPhone or even iTunes? If this is the case, then why even bother offering a free version of the SDK?
For people like me - I want to download* to play around and see if I wind up developing anything useful. If I do, I'll pay and have it hosted. If not, it was fun playing around.

* If I can ever get the darned thing to download.

- John

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
For people like me - I want to download* to play around and see if I wind up developing anything useful. If I do, I'll pay and have it hosted. If not, it was fun playing around.

* If I can ever get the darned thing to download.

- John
If you haven't gotten it already - I have put a link in my sig.