Free Space in Installer.app on 1.1.1?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
There was much more program free space in in Installer on 1.02, more than 2 times!

Anyway, I guess what I am wondering from everyone who has jailbreaked 1.1.1...

WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM FREE SPACE YOU HAVE SEEN IN INSTALLER RUNNING ON 1.1.1?

My maximum space achieved has been 61.1 mb... if you somehow got more, how did you do it? Does anyone have a list of extra files if there are any? Any way to gain space?

I'm liking my 1.1.1 phone now & having fun the past 3 days.... best of both worlds, :)

stewcp

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol, UK
There was much more program free space in in Installer on 1.02, more than 2 times!

Anyway, I guess what I am wondering from everyone who has jailbreaked 1.1.1...

WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM FREE SPACE YOU HAVE SEEN IN INSTALLER RUNNING ON 1.1.1?

My maximum space achieved has been 61.1 mb... if you somehow got more, how did you do it? Does anyone have a list of extra files if there are any? Any way to gain space?

I'm liking my 1.1.1 phone now & having fun the past 3 days.... best of both worlds, :)
Hi, tell me, before you hacked/upgraded to 1.1.1, did you restore you 1.0.2 phone back to a clean setup first or did you go through the setup with all your current 1.0.2 mods/apps in place?

papabro

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
MA
Hi, tell me, before you hacked/upgraded to 1.1.1, did you restore you 1.0.2 phone back to a clean setup first or did you go through the setup with all your current 1.0.2 mods/apps in place?
For me, I left my mods on but it was a mistake. I was able to jailbreak and upgrade to 1.1.1 etc with no problem. After installing and running apptapp I noticed all the 3rd party apps I had previously installed were unavailable. After a bit, I noticed they were all listed under the uninstall button. The problem was I couldn't uninstall more than half of them. Kept getting a run time error when trying to do so. To be honest I thought that upgrading woud wipe the mods off the phone but it didn't. All my icons, themes, recorded messages from vnotes and who knows what else were still on the phone's file system. I figured the best move would be to restore and hack back in so that I would be starting with a clean slate so to speak. So I restored and hacked back in and now have no trace of any of my previous mods from 1.0.2 on the phone and apptapp is looking and working normally, Of course some of the 3rd party apps are not working with 1.1.1 yet. I haven't read of anyone else having the same experience, but my recommendation would be to uninstall your 3rd party apps before you begin if you are using the method to hack into 1.1.1 where you begin the process in 1.0.2. You also have the option of upgrading to 1.1.1 first which will force you to restore. Essentially this is what I did the second time through.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The space on the iPhone is actually divided. Most of the OS files, and the Applications folder, are stored separately on the iPhone. This space is not shown in iTunes (it's the space between the "Capacity 7.24 GB" and the 8 GB in the iPhone).

Apparently 1.1.1 doesn't leave as much room for installing apps. I would say it's the iTunes Store, but that seems to take up only about .5 MB.

The good news is that most of the stuff on Installer, that takes up a lot of space (books, themes, sounds, dictionaries, etc.) is installed to the /var/root/Library folder, which means it doesn't take up any space on the OS/apps partition. Files copied to /var/root/Library show as "Other" space in iTunes.

Finally, when you use third party apps you are at least using more of your iPhone's storage. Otherwise that space would just be sitting out there, waiting for apps and updates. ;)

--
Mike