Free storage space of a fresh 16 GB iPhone 6s Plus is woefully low

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Avoid the 16 GB model if at all possible. This is way less than I thought I'd have. I thought iOS 9 was supposed to be leaner than this?

Yes, I've taken a couple of photos. But it's basically brand new, as you can tell:

IMG_0004.PNG

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I knew I'd get something lower than 16 GB. Just wasn't prepared for it to be so low this year.

In previous years you'd at least get 12 gigs free.

But I made my bed, and I will lie in it. It was either this, or get 64 GB with the smaller screen size. I'd rather have the larger screen. I'm not huge on photography. Movies, at most I keep one or two stored on the phone at any given time. It's in the music department where I'll have to practice some austerity. :)

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Paying 99¢ per month for 50 GB of iCloud storage is one of the best thing you can do to manage your free space. You can store your photos and videos in the cloud instead of locally. This would give you all 10 GB of space for apps, texts, music and documents and data. You will have to move the photos and videos to iCloud Drive to free up the camera roll space. If you keep them in the photos app they will be stored locally as well as being uploaded to the cloud (for access from other devices) if you enable iCloud Photo Library.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Smart ass thinks we mods are stupid or sumpin'.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I also have 141 GB free (through various promotions they've offered through the years) on OneDrive, which I can definitely leverage. Their OneDrive app automatically sends photos to the cloud; not sure about videos just yet.

7. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I think Apple's rationale for continuing to offer 16GB models (and this is only speculation on my part) is that there are still folks who only want to use the basic features but still have the latest/greatest from the lads in Cupertino. Although even with only the basic features being used, 16GB is very skimpy and I fear Apple is missing the trend with consumers. How much more would it cost Apple to offer 32GB as the base and keep the price the same as the 16GB model. Just the new photos the s-series takes is going to ensure storage space is at a premium.

Apple has been taking a lot of heat in the press about offering 16GB models, but as long as they sell they'll probably continue to make them. It's becoming a publicity black eye, but I guess profit trumps all.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Not a whole lot! Probably about $13-$15 more—just extrapolating and doing a bit of conservative guessing.

With last year's iPhones, Re/code stated that "For the larger iPhone 6 Plus, the costs begin at $216 for the starting model and go as high as $263 for the 128 gigabyte model." And that was last year. Flash memory gets cheaper from one year to the next, not more expensive. So whatever it would've cost them last year to offer 32 GB as the base, it'd be even less this year.

Apple leaves that 16 GB model in the line-up just to make the 64 GB seem that much more attractive. Of course I would've bought the 64 GB iPhone 6s Plus if I could've—it's a no-brainer!

They're doing the same with iCloud pricing. The baseline (free) tier continues to offer just 5 GB, just like last year. They're going to hold off on increasing that free tier to 10 GB for as long as they possibly can. The less expensive iPhone models and iCloud tiers give the customer a lot less bang for the buck. This is by design, not by accident.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I can't find a way to justify it. I'm convinced that it's a way to get people to pay more for the mid-level iPhone or to buy iCloud storage space. 16 GB was fine several years ago, but it has become increasingly difficult to manage on newer devices since they have a larger OS, take higher resolution photos and video and have the option for OTA updates, which require some free working space for the install. They price of the memory came down in recent years and they were able to increase the storage space of mid and high-range models while charging the same price as they did the previous year. It was unfair to ignore the entry model and charge the same price for it. I know a few people who are mainly upgrading their phones this year so they can get more storage because they are tired of the popups and want to be able to install a few new apps. These are light users, too. I have a large-capacity iPhone that I store all of my music on, so I figured I might as well just get a 16 GB iPad mini the year before last since the only things I use an iPad for are iBooks and videos on airplanes and in hotels. I was surprised to find that I could barely manage those two things on it and was getting constant popups with low storage space warnings with just a few iBooks, a few apps and two iTunes movies on it. I had to get a flash drive for the movies. However, due to Apple's restrictions, iTunes movies won't work on the flash drive so I can only use movies I got elsewhere.

10. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Yeah, I employed some mental gymnastics to come up with that justification. I'm guessing that its just something the Apple folks say to themselves to justify such a decision. Providing a low-end model iPhone (16GB) isn't a good or even reasonable idea, but if you talk yourself into the idea that you're serving a segment of the customer base that only wants the basics, well, I suppose you can almost wrap your mind around it. It's inexcusable, except for the profitability. I'd like to see Apple take the lead and declare 16GB dead. And if Apple wanted to really raise the bar again they'd go 64GB/128GB/256GB. Samsung would crap their pants!

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My guess is next year will have 32/64/128 GB. That and a design change along with all of the usual upgrades will be plenty to keep them competitive with Samsung while still turning as much profit as possible.

12. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

A family member has a 4S(?) from his job that is for official business uses only, such as email, etc. In that sort of market/use case, 16Gb might make sense. I certainly wouldn't dream of trying to "live" in a "house" that small.
    YMMV

13. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Also keep in mind these phones are preloaded with HUGE apps like Pages, Numbers, keynote, etc. If you don't need those, delete them to free up probably ~2GB of space.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Those were actually optional… on my 16 GB iPhone, anyways. During setup, I was offered a group of free Apple apps, including those, which I declined. It is nice on Apple's part that they give their users a choice—I hear a lot of Android phones come preloaded with their respective manufacturer's bloatware.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You'll be fine if you upload photos to your cloud apps like Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. Don't download huge games like Infinity blade, and keep music to a minimum.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

While we're on the topic, IHS has now released their carefully estimated bill of materials for the new iPhone 6s line, reports 9to5Mac.

9to5Mac goes on to observe that "...we’d make our usual observation that these estimates do not take into account any of the many other costs involved in bringing the product to market, among them R&D, marketing and distribution." To which I would reply that the vast majority of the R&D for the iPhone 6s line did not go into older technologies like flash storage, it went into the new technologies like haptic feedback.

Andrew Rassweiler, senior director of cost benchmarking services for IHS Technology, says: "NAND Flash is now so cheap it’s almost irrelevant, but Apple monetizes this difference with consumers, to the tune of $100 for each additional step up in memory capacity. For example, a 64 GB iPhone now costs Apple about $17 more to make than a 16 GB iPhone, but Apple charges iPhone buyers $100 more for the increased memory. This is part of Apple’s ongoing strategy to improve profits by selling a product mix that is heavier in the higher-end iPhones."

17. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Yup. Long overdue too. I just hate to see Apple putting themselves in a position to follow the pack instead of leading it. Apple could have made waves if they went to 32/64/128 with the 5s. But it is what it is.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Nevertheless, Apple is first to the bank. They must be happy with their situation.

19. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Apple still offering a 16GB at the end of 2015 is laughable! 32GB has been the new standard entry point for years now with other manufacturers and devices.

Everything continues to get larger. Apps, games, photo size, ect. Also, didn't Apple almost have a problem last year where the update size was almost to large for 16GB phones to accept? Apple is playing a dangerous game by keeping storage so low. What happens when consumers can no longer update their 16GB phone?

I was actually pretty shocked this year with the 6S when I saw a 16GB version was STILL the base. I would have bet that it would have been 32..

Meh, it is what it is I guess but it kind of ticks me off and it's one of the reasons I am not upgrading to the 6s this year. I have a 64GB 6 and that is overkill for me. 16 is cutting it to close for comfort, 64 is overkill for me, but 32GB would be my sweet spot.. I'm not shelling out the extra $100 for the larger storage option this year, so therefore I am not upgrading to the 6S.

Maybe next year Apple will offer 32/64/128. That makes the most sense ----> 2 years ago!

#19 raqball, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  20. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze