free text messaging

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
So I went well over my 1500 texts this month so I figured out an easy way to text free

On my computer at home I use aim. I add to my buddy list the phone number I want to text. So I would add +1 then the 10 digit phone number. Ex. " +14074445555 " then i get on my phone where i use beejive as my iPhone aim app, then the phone number pops up on my buddy list. Then you can select it and start mobile to mobile texting for free. Walaa!

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
doesn't it cost text to receive them still?

not at all... once your sign onto beejive, and then you select the phone number from the buddy list you want to start texting.. it opens a conversation.. so the person that your talking to, they are talking from their phone and getting charged for texts, but all of your outgoing and ingoing messages to you are going through beejive, which is going through unlimited internet

desjr7359

Sep 15, 2007
I'm using this on the 3rd Party App Mobile Chat 1.2.5b. Works great. Definitely keeps me from going over the very small 200 chats a month. It helps that my wife and 2 daughters have T-Mobile with unlimited SMS. Don't have to waste mine.

Thanks for the tip.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
So I went well over my 1500 texts this month so I figured out an easy way to text free

On my computer at home I use aim. I add to my buddy list the phone number I want to text. So I would add +1 then the 10 digit phone number. Ex. " +14074445555 " then i get on my phone where i use beejive as my iPhone aim app, then the phone number pops up on my buddy list. Then you can select it and start mobile to mobile texting for free. Walaa!

would this work with the iPhone aim application as well? not the one online.

svtguy08

Aug 4, 2007
CA
bllzll,

Hey thanks for the tip! I got it working partially, but I do have some questions. I am able to login into AIM through Beejive and send a message to who ever. They receive it as a text. BUT when they reply, it comes back as a text message on the iPhone, not through Beejive. I used the exact method as described above with the ten digit phone, but their (who ever Im texting) reply still comes as a text. So essentially the sent text is free or through Beejive and the receiving comes out of my 200/mon or standard sms.

Any help would be great. Thanks again for the find!

-Ryan :laugh2:

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
bllzll,

Hey thanks for the tip! I got it working partially, but I do have some questions. I am able to login into AIM through Beejive and send a message to who ever. They receive it as a text. BUT when they reply, it comes back as a text message on the iPhone, not through Beejive. I used the exact method as described above with the ten digit phone, but their (who ever Im texting) reply still comes as a text. So essentially the sent text is free or through Beejive and the receiving comes out of my 200/mon or standard sms.

Interesting. I will have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.

svtguy08

Aug 4, 2007
CA
Ok! So i was fiddling with some of the settings on this page, Mobile AIM, http://mobile.aol.com/mobileaim and found that if you sign your phone up to receive aims on the go then you need to make sure that the "Manage Who IMs Me" is setup for YOUR phone NOT to receive AIMs as SMS.

So click the edit by "Manage Who IMs Me" and then "uncheck" the box for "Mobile Number: Allow AIM/AOL users who have my mobile number to send IMs to my phone.". Save the settings and it should no longer send you the other person's reply as an SMS: it will go through Beejive.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
bllzll,

hmm... im not positive but it could be this... when you send a text through beejive, and they receive it.. it will say that its from whatever your screename is. they need to reply right back to that, and it should just come back to you on beejive.. is it possible that they are receiving a text from your screename, then they go and open a new text conversation and send a text back to your phone?

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Ok! So i was fiddling with some of the settings on this page, Mobile AIM, http://mobile.aol.com/mobileaim and found that if you sign your phone up to receive aims on the go then you need to make sure that the "Manage Who IMs Me" is setup for YOUR phone NOT to receive AIMs as SMS.

So click the edit by "Manage Who IMs Me" and then "uncheck" the box for "Mobile Number: Allow AIM/AOL users who have my mobile number to send IMs to my phone.". Save the settings and it should no longer send you the other person's reply as an SMS: it will go through Beejive.

good call.. i must of had that set up on my AIM from a while back.. glad you figured it out though..

svtguy08

Aug 4, 2007
CA
Thanks Again bllzll!

I got it to work flawlessly. I tried it with some friends and family and all the sent and received messages went through BeeJive! I'm stoked cause I only get 200 sms/mon. and this will save me from going over.
Just a heads for everyone else. If you send someone a message going through AIM/Beejive and they respond to your message but you are NOT logged into AIM/Beejive, then their message will still come through but as an SMS. Hopefully that makes sense.

-Ryan

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I just added a buddy of mine who doesn't have a AIM account, but I added him with his number. He always appears offline so I cant send sms to his phone, because he doesn't appear on the list. Is there something iam doing wrong? help please

svtguy08

Aug 4, 2007
CA
I just added a buddy of mine who doesn't have a AIM account, but I added him with his number. He always appears offline so I cant send sms to his phone, because he doesn't appear on the list. Is there something iam doing wrong? help please
I had that same problem last night. I added my family, friends and girlfriend to the AIM account and every single one of them showed up as "online" except for my girlfriend. I was f-ing pissed cause I text her more than anyone else. Now she doesn't have an AIM or AOL account so I thought that might be the problem but neither does my mother or (they hardly know how to check email and sms). So I couldn't figure it out so I cleared the "private data" in firefox, cleared the cache, history and cookies on the iPhone and restarted my PC. Logged back to AIM and my gf was "Online". I don't know what else to tell you. Hopes this helps!

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I had that same problem last night. I added my family, friends and girlfriend to the AIM account and every single one of them showed up as "online" except for my girlfriend. I was f-ing pissed cause I text her more than anyone else. Now she doesn't have an AIM or AOL account so I thought that might be the problem but neither does my mother or (they hardly know how to check email and sms). So I couldn't figure it out so I cleared the "private data" in firefox, cleared the cache, history and cookies on the iPhone and restarted my PC. Logged back to AIM and my gf was "Online". I don't know what else to tell you. Hopes this helps!
I will try this thanks.