free wi-fi at starbucks

nomi401

Nov 3, 2008
i read an article about "masking" your macbook, so that you can access the free iPhone wif-fi at starbucks. does anyone have suggestions?

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
i read an article about "masking" your macbook, so that you can access the free iPhone wif-fi at starbucks. does anyone have suggestions?
I don't, but you can tether your notebook to your JB'ed iPhone and have high-speed (3G) or not-so-high-speed (EDGE) wireless internet for your notebook while at Starbucks or McDonalds or at an airport or where ever else an ATTWireless AP is located.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
How do you tether it:eek:
-I have always wondered how to do this lol!
If you have stock iPhone, you can use Netshare, provided you were lucky enough to download it from the appstore before it was removed.

If you have a JB'ed iPhone, download PdaNet via Cydia (it's free). It's much easier to use than Netshare. Search the Internet for "pdanet iPhone" and you'll find plenty of info, including the official PdaNet site.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Yes. Just connect to the AT&T access point (network) while at participating Starbucks, McDonalds, airports, etc. Open safari and you should get a page asking for your phone number--enter it and submit it. Within seconds, you'll get a text message with a link to click on. Once you click on the link, you are good to go. The access at that location is good for 24 hours.

dnvl

Feb 2, 2009
Yes. Just connect to the AT&T access point (network) while at participating Starbucks, McDonalds, airports, etc. Open safari and you should get a page asking for your phone number--enter it and submit it. Within seconds, you'll get a text message with a link to click on. Once you click on the link, you are good to go. The access at that location is good for 24 hours.
Have you experienced or heard about any iPhones that pull up a different page in Safari, one that doesn't ask for a phone number but instead just posts a bunch of links:

Use membership
Purchase One-Time Connection
Purchase Membership
Purchase Multiple Sessions
Use a Coupon
Use Prepaid Card

... and then a user id and password prompt? This is what I'm getting, even though my fiancee's iPhone (on the same FamilyTalk plan!) is getting the correct page, the one that asks for the iPhone number.