Freezes and shows blue/white lines after being locked.

sirwerd1

Aug 2, 2009
This is for the iPhone 2g (I believe that is what it is called)

After being locked (manually or automatically) for about 10 seconds, the iPhone 2g freezes and shows vertical blue and white, alternating lines. The only thing to do is hard reset the device (by holding the home and lock button simultaneously). Also, this only occurs when running on battery power. When the iPhone is plugged into the wall this does not occur.

Soon, I will be replacing the battery because it is very bad and last only about 1.5 hours. When connected to my computer the iPhone only charges to 20% (I think, not sure but I will test this tonight). But could this freezing problem be related to the faulty battery? I don't think it does because it is so systematic, but I could easily be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is an almost exact replica of the screen that I recreated in Microsoft Paint. http://tinypic.com/r/a9y8ia/3

Divyesh

Jul 28, 2009
Digital point forum
The following two settings can result in a reduction in or complete elimination of freezes:

Tap Settings on the home screen. Tap General. Tap Auto-Lock. Set to "Never."
Tap Settings on the home screen. Tap Brightness. Turn Auto-Brightness off.

sirwerd1

Aug 2, 2009
Thanks. The turning off the the auto-lock is an unreasonable method to use right now as my battery is horrible and needs to be replaced, so this drains the battery a lot. I also think the iPhone seems to heat up a little bit when auto-lock is turned off.

I haven't tried to auto-bright, I will see what that is like.

No one knows of any true way to fix this problem?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
No one knows of any true way to fix this problem?
Can't say I know how to fix it but I'll tell you what I'd do if my iPhone had that problem: Make an appointment with an Apple Genius.

That problem is NOT normal and you may very well have defective hardware.

sirwerd1

Aug 2, 2009
Thank you. I am a pc person, and this is my first Apple product other than iPods. So, does it cost money to get an appointment with an Apple Genius? I looked online for a number to call but they all seemed to cost money unless it was within 90 days of purchasing the iPhone. Also will the Apple Genius help me even though my iPhone is jailbroken? Or, do I need to restore it?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Thank you. I am a pc person, and this is my first Apple product other than iPods. So, does it cost money to get an appointment with an Apple Genius? I looked online for a number to call but they all seemed to cost money unless it was within 90 days of purchasing the iPhone. Also will the Apple Genius help me even though my iPhone is jailbroken? Or, do I need to restore it?
You definitely need to restore your iPhone to stock condition before taking it in to be looked at.

You can make an appointment at:

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

It's free of charge to speak to a Genius. I mean the Apple Genius, not me. :eek:k:eek:k