Friction-free silicone skins?

heydavey

Feb 22, 2009
This may be chemically impossible, but is there such a thing as a silicone skin (or other material that I may not be aware of) that is smooth and frictionless on the outside, but that still absorbs shocks the way a silicone skin does?

I keep my iPhone all by its lonesome in my right front pants pocket (pickpockets, please ignore). I also have a typical black silicone skin on the phone, mainly for protection from dropping. The downside is the friction of the silicone skin against the fabric when I try to extract the phone from my pocket. For a while, I just used the iPhone in its naturally smooth, shiny state, but fear of dropping it got the better of me. I've also tried hard plastic cases, but don't like the bulk.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, patents pending, etc.

jparris1

Nov 18, 2007
I don't know about frictionless but the Speck Candy Shell is made of two materials, a soft silicon on the inside and a harder shiny smooth outer shell. Nice case.

Dec 27, 2008
Oahu
The downside is the friction of the silicone skin against the fabric when I try to extract the phone from my pocket. For a while, I just used the iPhone in its naturally smooth, shiny state, but fear of dropping it got the better of me. I've also tried hard plastic cases, but don't like the bulk.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, patents pending, etc.
I know what you mean about bulky plastic cases, I wanted to avoid that too. I also got tired of my silicone case in and out of my pocket and pulling the whole pocket with it. So I got the Seidio Innocase II. It's not bulky at all, it's about the same as the silicone one I had. It has a rubber feel on the outside so it gives you grip but doesn't stick to your pocket and it's not a dust magnet, and the inside is lined with felt so it won't scratch the back of the phone.
http://www.seidioonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2374

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I also got tired of my silicone case in and out of my pocket and pulling the whole pocket with it.
ROFL :p, yeah, i know exactly what you mean, thats why i stopped using those cases all together. the invisibleshield i have right now adds minimal grip/friction to it without causing that effect. while it was a bit annoying at first, ive sort of got used to it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
ROFL :p, yeah, i know exactly what you mean, thats why i stopped using those cases all together. the invisibleshield i have right now adds minimal grip/friction to it without causing that effect. while it was a bit annoying at first, ive sort of got used to it.
I'd like to do that, too, but I'd still worry about protection in case of dropping it.

heydavey

Feb 22, 2009
Great suggestions, all, especially the Speck Candy Shell. Went to their site and ordered one. Could do without the contrasting-color piping effect, but maybe people will think I'm hip and cool.

Thanks, all.