Fried iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 18, 2007
got my iPhone on sunday. activaed it and everything. worked awsome, loved it. then today was using it to surf the web. when i was finished hit the power button to turn the screen off then put it in my pocket... well when i went to pull it out i noticed it was warm and the screen was not turning on. so i went ot the AT&T store at the mall and they said to call Apple. so i did and on the way home the phone got warmer and warmer and after about 1 hour it started cooling down. so im guessing it fried.and i don't know why? and my FREE service phone is in the mail. so with out my iPhone for 24-48 hours:(.

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
Hello, I am sending my warm iPhone in for repair or replacement and I just received my Apple service phone and I noticed the service phone was getting warm when using it. So I called Apple and they told me that the phone getting warm during usage is normal, but for the phone to be getting hot is not normal. This seems to be an on going problem for the iPhone. I notice others are having the same problem. I sure hope they come out with an update to fix this problem, hope it works out for you with the service phone and getting your phone replaced or repaired, :cool:

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Not sure how a software update would help this, sounds more like some type of mechanical malfunction.
I SERIOUSLY doubt this is software fixable. I'd guess it's a bad production batch of the batteries, probably with a faulty smart circuit in them, allowing them to overcharge and fry themselves. I've seen/heard of a few other battery problems, also suspected to be circuit based, which just reinforces it in my mind...

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I SERIOUSLY doubt this is software fixable. I'd guess it's a bad production batch of the batteries, probably with a faulty smart circuit in them, allowing them to overcharge and fry themselves. I've seen/heard of a few other battery problems, also suspected to be circuit based, which just reinforces it in my mind...
Not exactly. If something has the iPhone loading @ 100% for a long period of time I imagine it would get hot.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I SERIOUSLY doubt this is software fixable....
Yeah, it doesn't seem so.

Yet quite a few people have reported that if the phone can't get a good signal while it's trying to retrieve mail / voicemail, then sometimes it can glitch and go into a tight fast loop... which is enough to heat the sucker up pretty good.

Sep 18, 2007
just recived my service iPhone not even 24 hours after i called. i must say Apple support has a thumbs up in my book so far. and this was my first Apple product too.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Not exactly. If something has the iPhone loading @ 100% for a long period of time I imagine it would get hot.
Oh, not arguing that point at all. Though I would classify it as "warm" more than hot... Hot, to me at least, implies a moderate or higher level of physical discomfort when touching it.

I've had mine get warm when doing the first full charge, and when doing HEAVY wireless transmitting; but it wasn't too hot to hold or anything.

I was referring to the OP though, who mentioned that it was hot, and refused to turn on/respond to any inputs. That implies the battery itself was fried.