Fried my iPhone at Sharper Image!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Thought that I would give everyone a heads up. I was in a Sharper Image store the other day and was trying out the iPod speakers. My iPhone worked in all of them until I tried the Bose. I placed my iPhone in the Bose and it immediately fried my iPhone. The screen started flashing white and then just died with no response whatsoever. An Apple store graciously replaced my iPhone with a new one. I was able to restore everything from iTunes without too much trouble. The only issue was that the last backup was in July sometime so things got a little screwed up. Does anyone know how to backup your iPhone on iTunes so that it will be current? Thanks.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Thought that I would give everyone a heads up. I was in a Sharper Image store the other day and was trying out the iPod speakers. My iPhone worked in all of them until I tried the Bose. I placed my iPhone in the Bose and it immediately fried my iPhone. The screen started flashing white and then just died with no response whatsoever. An Apple store graciously replaced my iPhone with a new one. I was able to restore everything from iTunes without too much trouble. The only issue was that the last backup was in July sometime so things got a little screwed up. Does anyone know how to backup your iPhone on iTunes so that it will be current? Thanks.
Weird, mine backs up my iPhone on every sync.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I had occasion to visit my local Apple Store on Monday. They have no less than a dozen different speaker systems with a iPod attached, demonstrating each product. I asked one of the employees whether any, and which one's were compatible with the iPhone. He explained that all the devices were "third party (duh), and that Apple makes not claim as to compatibility with ANY of them. I said, "come on, Dude, which one works with an iPhone?". He then said he didn't know, but I was welcome to hook my phone to any of the display units to see for myself. I said, "hell no", I know this much, that Apple has not created enough compatibility within the two products(iPod-iphone) not to safeguard against some iPhones getting fried with certain iPod gear.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I get the impression some people do not sync regularly. As someone who came from the PDA and smartphone side of the equation I find that a bit surprising.

--
Mike
I think I remember you from ClieSource/PIC/Brighthand. I'm the same way. Hotsync every day.

The other day I saw someone with an iPhone, showing it off to her friends. She hadn't updated to 1.1.1. I was astonished.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I'd sync more often if it didn't halt everything while it was syncing, or if it at least resumed instead of going back to home. The PDAs I used while at work could all sync without interrupting whatever it was that you were doing.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I sync everyday to keep my calendar up to date! When I plugged in the new iPhone it asked if I wanted to restore back up and the date was July something. How do I get the backup current?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Indeed. I'd also sync more often if it had wifi sync. Right now I only sync it when I have new songs or something to put on it. It doesn't seem to charge well over my tablet PC's USB. So I usually charge it with the power adapter.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Yes, Wifi sync would be nice, but at least get Bluetooth sync. In its current state, BT is absolutely useless on this device. I can't even send a picture to another phone. All of this DRM bullshit really irks me.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Right on, Bosco!

Apple has done so much to set back the ability of multimedia to take advantage of technology with the iPhone. So much capability lost due to beancounting DRM, that many features are 10 years behind what we have become used to. The days of Apple being the benevolent alternative to cold establishment principles of out-of-touch conglomerates are indeed over.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I don't believe they are as bad as they could be. They did, after all, credit early adopters with $100, which is the best anyone can really expect in response to such a nationwide outcry. I am a new Apple customer, so I don't know any better; I just hope Apple will do the right thing in the end, and that the DMCA dogs are held back long enough to let them do it.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Wow, Good deal!...;)

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
to answer the OP question, you can force a new backup to be made by going to Edit->Preferences->iPhone in iTunes and deleting your last backup. your iPhone will then make a new, complete backup on your next sync

tnh732

Oct 27, 2007
and then what he said?:mad:

I had occasion to visit my local Apple Store on Monday. They have no less than a dozen different speaker systems with a iPod attached, demonstrating each product. I asked one of the employees whether any, and which one's were compatible with the iPhone. He explained that all the devices were "third party (duh), and that Apple makes not claim as to compatibility with ANY of them. I said, "come on, Dude, which one works with an iPhone?". He then said he didn't know, but I was welcome to hook my phone to any of the display units to see for myself. I said, "hell no", I know this much, that Apple has not created enough compatibility within the two products(iPod-iphone) not to safeguard against some iPhones getting fried with certain iPod gear.