Friend gave me his iPhone, and i'm having some problems using it! Please help.

nyczboy22

Aug 2, 2009
Hey everyone, my friend gave me his iPhone because he doesn't want it anymore. He took out his sim card and reset the whole phone and now it doesn't get past the screen that says "Slide for Emergency" with a picture of the connecting cable to iTunes.

After connecting it to iTunes, it asks for my AT&T information which I don't have. I mainly want to use the phone for MP3 and Wifi purposes. Is that possible? Can anyone lead me in the right direction! Thanks for any help.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
:dft008:surprised Have you asked the friend that gave it to you for help yet?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
:dft008:surprised Have you asked the friend that gave it to you for help yet?
nyczboy22,

The reason you've gotten a response like this is that a person could easily steal a phone and try to unlock it by fabricating a story like that. Of course, I'm not saying that you have stolen it and there is really no way any of us can be sure, but the nature of the question is very suspect given that it's your first post, if you get my drift.

But MileHighRob has gave rather sage counsel. You should really rely upon the friend that gave you the phone to do this. :)

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
lol, No one just up and gives away a $200 or $300 phone away because they didn't like it.

To answer your questions. No, you will not beable to just use it like an ipod touch.

Regardless, I call shenanigans but enjoy the paper weight.

Dozer56

Jun 9, 2009
A new unused sim for $3 and it's a touch...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
nyczboy22, Hondamaker and Inexplicitly are correct. The phone will not be usable like an iPod Touch until you jailbreak it. After jailbreaking it, it will activate. You could even take it a step further after that and unlock it with ultrasn0w and get a contract free T-Mobile SIM with prepaid minutes if you want.

Aug 4, 2009
Jailbreak it or either take your friends opinion who has given you the iPhone.