friend lost iPhone

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
walking home from the bar, was pretty drunk, can't remember what he did with it, he remembers it being with him on the walk so he thinks he dropped it somewhere. he is wondering if Apple or att can locate it using gps or if they could remote wipe it so none of his information is on it? any help is appreciated.

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Ooo, sounds dangerous. I don't really have any helpful input, the best thing he can do is call AT&T and ask if they can do that for him. I hope they can atleast do the info wipe for his sake.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Don't think ATT can help you in any way. They have no way to erase the phone and won't be very helpful in tracking it down. Phones are lost everyday and it would tie up too many resources for ATT to track all these phones down.
The best you can do is cancel your account. Sorry about your luck and bad experience. Next time pop the sim in a cheap phone for times like this.;)

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
Are you sure this is not you, it's your friend.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
haha trust me its not me, i got my iPhone right here next to me, just upgraded to 2.0.2 and jailbroke :)

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
its for reasons like this that i don't drink...

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
You should be able to remote wipe if it's connected up to exchange server, but outside of that he's out of luck, nothing AT&T or Apple would do for him.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I feel for your friend. It might be worth giving AT&T a buzz to see if they can lock the phone down from their side. I know with the Windows PDA phones, they can do something which erases all data on the phone. It was a big thing back when the 8525 first came out.

Not that it is any good now, but a SIM PIN lock is always advisable. That way your SIM is locked down when someone turns the phone off, or the battery runs out. When I turn my phone on, it will ask for my phone unlock code and SIM unlock code. The people in the Apple store discouraged me from using a SIM lock code, but I've been doing that for years now, without any issues.

CowboYZ

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Florida
I feel for your friend. It might be worth giving AT&T a buzz to see if they can lock the phone down from their side. I know with the Windows PDA phones, they can do something which erases all data on the phone. It was a big thing back when the 8525 first came out.

Not that it is any good now, but a SIM PIN lock is always advisable. That way your SIM is locked down when someone turns the phone off, or the battery runs out. When I turn my phone on, it will ask for my phone unlock code and SIM unlock code. The people in the Apple store discouraged me from using a SIM lock code, but I've been doing that for years now, without any issues.
How do you do a SIM lock code?

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Really pointless with a sim lock if your phone was on at the time you lost it.
Thats why an hourly passcode lock can do the trick, or if an hour is too short, 4 hours :). So hopefully they don't touch it for a few hours and then it locks and you're pretty safe :)
Also, this helps with text message previews :) It doesn't show them!
So win win for me.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
True, but what's stopping them from taking the SIM out and sticking it into another phone? You can padlock your phone to the hilt, but the SIM can be used in another phone.

The phone is locked and they don't have time to mess about with jailbreaking it anytime soon. No problems, we take the SIM out and stick it in another phone, and I can call my grandmother in Australia. I'll rack up a few hundred dollars worth of calls, before you find out your phone is gone. I turn the phone on, bang, it's asking for a SIM pin. I enter in the wrong number 3 times, the SIM is dead and buried for good.

Both methods have good and bad points.

BTW, you know there is a bug in the iPhone that allows you to get in even when it is locked right?

Thats why an hourly passcode lock can do the trick, or if an hour is too short, 4 hours :). So hopefully they don't touch it for a few hours and then it locks and you're pretty safe :)
So win win for me.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
oh really?
please tell.. lol

oh, regarding the above story of yours.
Passcode lock the phone, sim lock the sim.
Sim taken out into another phone.. 3 incorrect.. gone.
Phone... without the "bug", its passcode locked.
looking at 2 pieces of crap.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
If you find an iPhone, you can still use it. Restore in iTunes, then jailbreak using WINPWN and it will activate the phone for you. Then stick any SIM into the phone, and off you go. AT&T does not IMEI block stolen/lost phones, they just cancel the SIM.

Let's be honest here. How many people would hand in an iPhone if they found one? Not many.

oh really?
please tell.. lol

oh, regarding the above story of yours.
Passcode lock the phone, sim lock the sim.
Sim taken out into another phone.. 3 incorrect.. gone.
Phone... without the "bug", its passcode locked.
looking at 2 pieces of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I didn't take the time to read all the responses so I'm not sure if someone already suggested this but did your friend try to call his cell phone? Who knows someone might answer it and would rather have a reward as opposed to an iPhone. Better yet tell your friend to send a text message to his phone saying that a reward will be given to whoever found the phone... no questions asked.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
So win win for me.
thats exactly what i do with mine. its really doesn't bother me as i thought it would having to enter the code after 4 hours of inactivity. the only time i really ever have to do it is n the morning or when i reboot.

True, but what's stopping them from taking the SIM out and sticking it into another phone? You can padlock your phone to the hilt, but the SIM can be used in another phone.

The phone is locked and they don't have time to mess about with jailbreaking it anytime soon. No problems, we take the SIM out and stick it in another phone, and I can call my grandmother in Australia. I'll rack up a few hundred dollars worth of calls, before you find out your phone is gone. I turn the phone on, bang, it's asking for a SIM pin. I enter in the wrong number 3 times, the SIM is dead and buried for good.

Both methods have good and bad points.

BTW, you know there is a bug in the iPhone that allows you to get in even when it is locked right?
well, the thing about that is that you could accidentally enter the wrong code 3 times and then your sim is dead. also, if you let them make a few calls with it, you can log on to the att website and see who theyve been calling and then possibly figure out who has your phone.

and also about that bug... youre safe if you set the double click home to either ipod or off. i have mine set to ipod. they can still view my music, not that big of a deal....

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
When they accept your reward and want to claim it, bring a few friends :)