Friend needs to switch to AT&T now but wants the V3 iPhone.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I have a friend who is dying to jump on the iPhone bandwagon. She wants to wait for the new one, but her verizon phone is on its last leg. She really needs a new phone now. She can get out of Verizon's contract now with no ETF so she could theoretically sign up for AT&T now, but then...

1) If she just gets a normal "free" phone, will she be eligible for the subsidized price for the new iPhone when it comes out?

2) Can she sign up for AT&T now without getting an AT&T phone (I'll loan her an old AT&T phone) and SAVE her subsidized price for the new iPhone?

Anyone IN THE KNOW know the answers to these questions?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
details about the new phone have not been released so anything now is just speculation. i would tell her to just get a cheap verizon phone and stay on there until the new iPhone comes out this summer. it will basically be the same price as signing up for AT&T would be now, but she will for sure be able to get the new iPhone at the subsidized price.

so i guess what it all boils down to is why take the risk if you don't have to?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Hold out until the new iPhone is released...
If she signs up for a new contract then she can get the phone at a subsidized price; its a waste to use it on a 20 dollar phone and get it for "free."

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yep, if she is on her last leg with her current carrier...tell her to get a prepaid account to hold her over for a couple of months. At least until next month to see if a new iPhone is announced.