Friend switched to Android ... iMessage problem

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iErik, Jan 3, 2014.

1. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

My friend recently switched to an Android from iPhone and I've been having texting issues ever since. My phone wants to always send the text as an iMessage. If i keep the app open while it's sending the iMessage will fail and it will send as an SMS. If I close the app while it's sending I'll get a send failure message and then have to go back in and select "send as sms".

How can I just get the app to send as SMS. It was ok for the first few weeks but now it's just a PITA. I've deleted and re-entered his contact info but that hasn't helped. Is there something he has to do on his end? Thanks for the help.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If they have the iPhone, they can insert the sim card and turn off iMessage. Following that, go back to Android and there should be no further problems. Beyond that, they can go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do

From there, they'll have to unregister their iPhone, which should also work.

I agree with you, the iMessage thing can be a PITA when people switch to Android.

3. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Thanks, a lot! I'll pass that info along to him.

4. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

So I now have two friends who have switched to Android and both have unregistered their iPhones at the site that was provided. My phone still tries to send it first as an iMessage. Is there anything else I can try?

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't know of anything to try if your friends no longer have access to the iPhones. But if it remains a problem, one thing you can do is use Facebook Messenger. But you all would need Facebook accounts and be friends there. It's the only way I text with my sister, who does not use the stock message/iMessage app at all.

6. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

WhatsApp is also an excellent cross platform message service ......

7. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Try turning iMessages off, send a few texts, then turn it back on again?

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Create a new message using their phone number.

9. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Did the last two suggestions and it seems to be behaving again.

10. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Sorry to say I'm still having issues. If I send a text to either of my friends who switched to Android it still tries to send as iMessage. If I keep the app open it automatically fails and then sends as an SMS. If I hit send and then close the app I get a failed notification on my screen and then have to open the message app again for it to send.

I've even recently tried a restore and it still happens. Very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

This happens to me also. I even deleted the contact info and created it all over again and it still does it

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Get your friends to try this:

The solution for this issue is to call 1-800-MYAPPLE and say you need to deactivate your imessage after updating to an non-Apple phone since your iPhone friends cant send you messages. They will do the needed steps to remove your number from the iMessage system which after initiated can take a couple hours up to a day. If that does not fix the issue then your contacts are not sending to your phone number and or need to start a new conversation with you. If that does not help it then you are not doing it right or they are not sending to your phone number. The advisors see much more than us consumers can as with most articles which are internal only and even if released to public would not help anyone because you have to have access to their internal systems.

13. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Is this different than going to Apple's support site and having them unregistered their iPhones?

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Be honest, I don't know. But it seems to work for many with that issue.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, it's different.

This problem is frustrating and unregistering only helps some. Apple acknowledges the problem and I think there will be a fix soon, but that doesn't help us now.

It is preventable, though. If you are going to switch to Android, disable iMessages on your iPhone before you restore and sell it. Once it's sold or deactivated, you don't have the opportunity to disable it for your phone number and you might end up having to go through Apple.

16. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Thanks for the info. I'll pass that number on to my friends so they can call and take care of it.