Friend's iPhone 4 Overheated

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by EverythingApple, Aug 2, 2012.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

My friend was charging his iPhone in his car on a hot day. Don't know why he did it, but when he went to get it, it said "Overheated" on it. Has anyone else every experienced this? He let it cool down and than it seemed to work fine. Will this void any extended warranties he has, like the one through Verizon that he pays monthly to? But, now it won't update the weather app and the date is stuck. Could this all be from the overheating? And, Yes, it is my friend, because I'm on AT&T. :p

2. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

Apple products have a temperature range that they can operate in, which can be found here. You can go to an Apple store and see if the temperature on the device has gotten too hot and needs to be replaced.

3. EverythingApple

Gold

He brought the phone to the Verizon store and they sent it out.

4. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

That's another route. Hope all works(or worked) out.

5. EverythingApple

Gold

He's using his Droid until the iPhone comes back, if it does. I'd be lost without my iPhone.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I use the Lifeproof case and I take my phone to the pool/beach
    happened last year to son at a waterpark and the beach and this year to me at the pool
    It also can get to cold! We lived in MI and when the temps go down, it stopped working. I had no cold warning on my screen?
    But then can't use it with gloves anyway, I did see where they make now gloves with some rubberfinger pads anyone used those before?

7. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I have those smart gloves. They work really well. I got the good $25 ones @ local department store. I have seen some $5 ones, no sure about the cheap ones.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've seen the heat warning before. It was this Temperature sign that I saw... never had an issue after a cool down.

167615-iphonetemperature_180.jpg

9. EverythingApple

Gold

That's what he told me showed up, but I never saw it myself. Thanks.

10. DCronkhite

DCronkhite Member
    Bronze

Mine occasionally gets VERY hot on the charger, but usually only when I'm using it while charging.

11. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Mine has gotten very warm to the touch, even hot, but I've never seen the warning. Glad I know it's there though. What a nasty surprise if you're not expecting it! I might have to change my shorts if that warning took me by surprise. Nothing comes between me and my Precious! (and nobody puts Baby in a corner.)

12. akocoglu03

akocoglu03 New Member

I have this problem with my 4S. It overheats rather quickly. And by overheat I mean that it feels like its on fire... This cant be normal

I wonder if a replacement phone can be given if the problem could be duplicated at the GENIUS O_o bar

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

The device keeps a log of heat trip events.
    Just go take it to a genius, they will be able to tell....

14. kaelinlei

kaelinlei Member
    Bronze

Mine usually gets warm while charging but has never over heated. It gets very warm if I use it while it's charging. I use the Lifeproof case and when I bought my 4S, Best Buy told me not to buy it because they have a history of over heating phones. It was the same Lifeproof case I used from the iPhone 4 as well and have never had any trouble with it. I guess some phones just have a tendency to get warmer than others.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

15. fanboy

fanboy Member
    Bronze

Remember that the case you have your phone in, if using one, can also be the culprit in heating up your phone. Some cases don't allow heat to dissipate, charging & using at the same time in a case will definitely heat your phone up.

I have the trident kraken case, i noticed that the phone would heat up in it. However, after jail breaking the phone does not heat up as much ( my battery and cell signal improved too).