From beta to official 3.0

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
For those of us that are currently running beta 5, how are we going to go about to updating to the official 3.0? I currently have the new official iTunes 8.2, so when the update comes out and we click Check for updates I am sure its going to say you currently have the lastes update.

Will we have to drop back to 2.2.1? Or find the file somewhere and hit control + check for updates?

guest03

Bronze
Mar 30, 2009
my guess is that if it doesn't automatically give us the update when you check for update, then you'll have to download from the dev site. Although because it will have a different package code, im sure we can just do it from clicking the check for update on iTunes.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
We will most likely have to download it from the dev site, but the best way to tell would be to ask someone who was on the 2.0 beta last year and how they update to the final release. Right now if you click update it says 3.0 is the current software, not 7A312g is the current version which makes me think it goes by the number not the version.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I'm thinking we will be able to hit the update button in iTunes and be able to update that way. I'm not sure though, I never beta tested before.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Restore from back up. Should download the latest software for public download. I think your better off restoring to the new software anyway, make sure any debug code from the beta is removed.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Restore from back up. Should download the latest software for public download. I think your better off restoring to the new software anyway, make sure any debug code from the beta is removed.
So you think restore and set up as new then once that's done, restore from back up. I would rather not lose all my backed up stuff.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
So you think restore and set up as new then once that's done, restore from back up. I would rather not lose all my backed up stuff.
No just restore, when the option comes up to set up as new or use the back up...use the back up.

This should totally wipe the phone and put the final software on it, and then restores your personal user data.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
No just restore, when the option comes up to set up as new or use the back up...use the back up.

This should totally wipe the phone and put the final software on it, and then restores your personal user data.
Thanks. That makes sense and doesn't hurt like you said to get all the debug code wiped off the phone.
Apple indicates: 'Devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iPhone OS 3.0 software.' But it does not say exactly how it will be accomplished. I am guessing it will be a Dev Center download.
We didn't get the option to update to the final iTunes we had to download it then install it. I am guessing it will be the same for us on 3.0 betas, iTunes sees we are on 3.0 so it ignores that there is an update available. We have to force the final release on like we have with every beta.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
There was already a thread on this awhile ago but I'll post what I said in the last one:
My guess is that iTunes will recognize it like any other update simply because the build number will be higher.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
There was already a thread on this awhile ago but I'll post what I said in the last one:
My guess is that iTunes will recognize it like any other update simply because the build number will be higher.
I think if you click update it won't know the difference, but restore might since the FW isn't saved to where it usually pulls it from and it will need to download it. I just don't think update can tell the difference by build number. We just need to find someone who was on the 2.0 beta so we can ask them and stop guessing.

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
Why get so worried about "How To" do a future update when its not even out yet.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Why get so worried about "How To" do a future update when its not even out yet.
I'm not worried, it's not like we won't be able to get our hands on it. Whether we have to download it like we do now or if we can update through iTunes we WILL end up on the final 3.0.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm not worried, it's not like we won't be able to get our hands on it. Whether we have to download it like we do now or if we can update through iTunes we WILL end up on the final 3.0.
Simple- yet correct

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
i don't see why we wouldn't update through iTunes. if we have the official 8.2 iTunes from Apple.com why wouldn't it show up, its going to show up in every persons with an iPhone iTunes.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
We will most likely have to download it from the dev site, but the best way to tell would be to ask someone who was on the 2.0 beta last year and how they update to the final release. Right now if you click update it says 3.0 is the current software, not 7A312g is the current version which makes me think it goes by the number not the version.
iTunes knows what build the phone is and I'm sure uses it to check for updates. It just displays the version number to the user because it makes sense. 7A4D5LK9IC20 does not.