From Blackberry to iPhone, sometimes I get a little lost! Please advise.

Jul 31, 2008
Hi there,

Brand new to the iPhone and this forum so forgive me if these questions have been answered. I am aware of the search function, but Google and search just haven't been helping me find what I need lately.

I'd really like a definitive answer as to whether or not it is possible to decline a call when the keyboard is locked. I have left my phone on in the night a couple times or I have been running and using the iPhone instead of my iPod and people have called and I have NO choice but to answer. Is the only way to avoid this turning off the auto-lock feature? If I choose to do that, how do you lock the keyboard manually?

Secondly, people have talked (almost to death, it seems) about an app being created to copy/paste. Does this actually exist yet or is it simply theoretical?

Thirdly, I have read much discussion about extended life batteries for the iPhone 3G but have only seen external, portable chargers. Is there an actual BATTERY in existence? Come to think of it, is it possible to open the iPhone? If so, how?

All of these things were intuitive for me on my Blackberry but now I feel lost and alone. :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'd really like a definitive answer as to whether or not it is possible to decline a call when the keyboard is locked. If you toggel either the volume up or down switches on the side of the phone, the ringer will stop and the call will go to voice mail.

Secondly, people have talked (almost to death, it seems) about an app being created to copy/paste. Does this actually exist yet or is it simply theoretical? There are a few third party apps flying around but nothing that has been licensed for use by Apple.

Thirdly, I have read much discussion about extended life batteries for the iPhone 3G but have only seen external, portable chargers. Is there an actual BATTERY in existence? Come to think of it, is it possible to open the iPhone? If so, how? Anything is possible, but I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone on this thread that will encourage you to open your iPhone and remove and reinstall the battery that is sodered on the main board. So to answer your question, you can not switch out batteries like you did in your Blackberry. Now there are some companies that have come out with snap on battery chargers or battery life extenders. They range from $20.00 bucks for a cheap "AA" battery unit to about $50.00 for a snap on real rechargable battery. I use this one with great luck. www.richardsolo.com

Welcome to the club and good luck. You will grow to love this phone.

Amahk

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
Just to add on a little to what showguy is saying:

If you hit either of the volume buttons while the phone is ringing then it'll continue ringing but silently. Just as it was on the Blackberry. Instead of the actual 'Ignore' button that we had though on the Blackberry, if you press the volume button twice instead the call goes straight to Voicemail.

And with the copy/paste application. It exists however its functionality only exists within the app itself. For example if you copy stuff while in the app you can't paste it in an email or in the browser. We're probably going to have to wait till September till we see really copy/paste...hopefully(cross fingers :p)

I too came from a Blackberry so we're adjusting together. I love this phone but some things that were super easy on my BB are a little harder on this device. RIM had 10+ years to get where they are, this is the 1.5th iteration of the iPhone. I don't consider the iPhone 3G to be the 2nd iteration since all it really adds is 3G and GPS. It's still using the same OS as the 1st iPhone.

Hope that helps you out some more :)

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
On the ignore phone calls question...you can also hit the lock key.Once to silent it, twice to send it to VM.

Jul 31, 2008
I had a few more questions:

Is there a way to "clear field" as there was in BlackBerry? I often find that if I want to un-do a half-typed message, I am forced to press delete many times in order to start over.

Also, I have noticed that with my Bluetooth device, when I PLACE calls, it automatically uses the Bluetooth but when I RECEIVE a call, it goes straight to iPhone and I have to change it manually - people get confused and hang up before I can change it sometimes!

Does anyone have any advice for those issues? Thanks!

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
On the BT question...that should not be occuring. It does not w/mine. Check your settings.

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
to add to the battery question, it isn't sodered to the main board as it was with the v1. I read in the 3g guide that it is replaceable but only through Apple.

I was also a blackberry ADDICT! Trying to adjust but I find myself checking out the new blackberry bold ads every now and then! WELCOME.

TNTITANS7

Oct 1, 2007
Does the RichardSolo battety extender work for the 3G version? Thanks.

I'd really like a definitive answer as to whether or not it is possible to decline a call when the keyboard is locked. If you toggel either the volume up or down switches on the side of the phone, the ringer will stop and the call will go to voice mail.

Secondly, people have talked (almost to death, it seems) about an app being created to copy/paste. Does this actually exist yet or is it simply theoretical? There are a few third party apps flying around but nothing that has been licensed for use by Apple.

Thirdly, I have read much discussion about extended life batteries for the iPhone 3G but have only seen external, portable chargers. Is there an actual BATTERY in existence? Come to think of it, is it possible to open the iPhone? If so, how? Anything is possible, but I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone on this thread that will encourage you to open your iPhone and remove and reinstall the battery that is sodered on the main board. So to answer your question, you can not switch out batteries like you did in your Blackberry. Now there are some companies that have come out with snap on battery chargers or battery life extenders. They range from $20.00 bucks for a cheap "AA" battery unit to about $50.00 for a snap on real rechargable battery. I use this one with great luck. www.richardsolo.com

Welcome to the club and good luck. You will grow to love this phone.

Jul 31, 2008
Just a few more questions:

I think this is a result of a faulty sync, but I've noticed that some applications will open and then simply close without fully opening - forcing me to reinstall. This is so frustrating! How do I fix it?

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Just a few more questions:

I think this is a result of a faulty sync, but I've noticed that some applications will open and then simply close without fully opening - forcing me to reinstall. This is so frustrating! How do I fix it?
Unfortunately, there is no fix at the moment. Hopefully this will get fixed in the next update (2.1 s/w). I have the same issue.

Jul 31, 2008
For all the hype they made about these applications, one would assume they would have made sure they were fully functional. That's really irritating.

Anyone got any advice on the Bluetooth situation? Or "clearing fields"? I'm not sure which settings I'd need to change...Bluetooth is on, but that's the only option in the BT menu.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
For all the hype they made about these applications, one would assume they would have made sure they were fully functional. That's really irritating.

Anyone got any advice on the Bluetooth situation? Or "clearing fields"? I'm not sure which settings I'd need to change...Bluetooth is on, but that's the only option in the BT menu.

If you hold the backspace button pressed, it'll go faster, and eventually would start deleting word by word after a couple seconds.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I had a few more questions:

Is there a way to "clear field" as there was in BlackBerry? I often find that if I want to un-do a half-typed message, I am forced to press delete many times in order to start over.As Saverino said, holding the delete button will delete faster than tapping it and will eventually start erasing whole words the longer you hold it.

Also, I have noticed that with my Bluetooth device, when I PLACE calls, it automatically uses the Bluetooth but when I RECEIVE a call, it goes straight to iPhone and I have to change it manually - people get confused and hang up before I can change it sometimes!I believe that if you answer the phone from the handset the call will be routed to the handset. If you answer from the BT headset, the headset will get the call transferred to it.

Also, on the jogging with the iPhone issue: Just put the phone into Airplane mode: Settings>Airplane Mode and then you will not have to answer any calls while jogging because the phone part will be off and you'll basically have an iPod.

Jul 31, 2008
Airplane mode is a great idea, too. Thanks so much for all the help - this is a great forum.

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
so you went from the crackberry to the jesusphone... good choice:cool:

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
Yes with BT, if you want to answer with your BT headset, you need to click the button on the earpiece that will pick up the call. This is actually a nice feature once you get used to it. Picking up with the phone will route the call to the phone.