Frozen on Apple Logo Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by rosana hughes, Sep 22, 2011.

1. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

OK, I have searched everywhere for a solution, and nothing works.
    I have my dad's old iPhone 3G. I went to the setting and reset all setting and content so that it would be like new. However, when it got done resetting it got stuck on the Apple logo with a little loading wheel on it. The wheel keeps turning very slowly and when it gets full it just starts ALL over again. It won't respond to the hard reset, or turning it off, or anything and iTunes does not recognize it either. This has been going on for about 24 hours now... PLEASE help me :( I really, really need to fix this phone!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll need to put it in DFU mode and restore it in iTunes. iTunes will recognize it when it's in DFU mode.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Is it jailbroken or unlocked? If it's unlocked, reply before restoring. You'll need more detailed directions for retaining unlockability. Using the erase all content and settings feature on a jailbroken iPhone results in getting stuck at the boot logo.

3. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

Not that she'll ever have to do it again, but I've read TONS of horror stories about using the "Erase all content and settings" option in Settings, even on non-jailbroken/unlocked iPhones.

From what I've learned here, it's much, much safer to restore as a new phone through iTunes.

4. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

ok, I'm not sure if its jailbroken or unlocked because he had some guy do something to it so it could be used on all cellphone networks. Is that jailbroken?
    I tried putting it in DFU mode a couple of times but it won't recognize it... I don't think the computer recognizes it either? because I looked for it under the devices in my computer, but it doesn't even show up there.

5. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

oh, and fearofnormalcy, I won't eeeever do this again.... hehe

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Moved to iPhone unlock.

Okay, that means it's unlocked. Are you using AT&T or T-Mobile? Do you have a PC or a Mac? Can you ask your father or the guy who unlocked it if it has any SHSHs on file or if it has the iPad baseband? As far as DFU mode goes, you just need to keep trying. It can be tricky. But don't try it just yet; you're going to get error codes when you restore it and you'll need to follow some step-by-step directions that I'll provide after you answer those questions.

Also, for future reference, in addition to avoiding erase all content, you'll also need to avoid updating the firmware until you've thoroughly researched unlockability and the update. Otherwise, updating in iTunes will result in getting stuck in recovery mode.

7. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

I am using AT&T, and I have a PC.
    Sadly, no I can't ask either one. My dad has no idea and I have no clue where to find the guy that unlocked it :(
    Is there a way I can find out?
    I won't try the DFU yet.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay, that makes it a little easier because you don't need to unlock it again. After you get it in DFU mode, hit the restore button. It will download a large firmware file which is a few hundred megabytes and then restore the phone. If it has the iPad baseband (a method the guy may have used to unlock it), you'll end up getting an error 1015 at the end of the restore and the connect to iTunes logo on the iPhone screen. At that point you need to use a program that will kick it out of recovery mode, such as RecBoot such as Fix Recovery. Then it will activate normally with your AT&T SIM card. Just keep trying DFU mode and watch a couple of videos explaining it. You'll get a popup in iTunes after successfuly entering DFU modes saying that it has detected a phone in recovery mode that needs to be restored.

9. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

Ok, I will try this! Thank you so very much!
    I'll let you know if I get it working again :)

OH, one more thing. If I don't ever get it recovered, will it just stay on the Apple logo forever?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it will show Apple logo (when the battery is charged) until it is restored.

11. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

Oh... okay. Well hopefully I can get it working!
    Thanks again.

12. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

Well I tried putting it in DFU mode multiple times and iTunes never recognized it :(
    Also, when I plug the phone in, my computer doesn't recognize it as a device being plugged in either.
    However, the phone did start responding to power off.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The iPhone screen is black when it's in DFU mode. It looks like the phone is turned off. You'll know it's in that mode because you'll get a popup in iTunes. Try updating iTunes. What do you see on the iPhone screen when you're attempting to put in in DFU mode?

This is the iTunes popup you should see:
    [​IMG]

14. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

Yes, when I try to put it in DFU mode the screen is black. I think it actually turns itself completely off though? Because I hold the power button and home button down and the screen just turns off, from the Apple Logo. I never get that pop up.

15. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

hey, I know this might sound stupid but you would be surprised how many times this works, take out the usb and blow both ends, and insert it in another usb slot ? you computer should detect it after that ?

16. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

well see my computer only has 1 USB port :(

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'd try it on another computer. If you don't have access to one, try using a new USB cable and rebooting your computer.

18. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

This. Can you get a hold of another one of them?

The only bad thing if it is you PC, what you going to do in the future for adding music ect ?.....
    Try a new cable first :)

19. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

Trying a new cable sometimes helps. I've had it happen to me a couple of times, when I've had to try a new cable or use a different USB port. I really hope you get it working.

20. rosana hughes

rosana hughes New Member

Thanks you guys! :) you've been a huge help! sadly i haven't gotten it working :(
    but I'll keep trying!