Frustration...

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
So one of my friends upgraded his 16GB iPhone 3G for a 3GS....I bought it for $100 and thought cool...went down to activate, no problem. I liked the phone so didn't bat an eyelash at the 2 year contract requirement even though I didn't buy the iPhone through Apple or ATT.

NOW...I like the phone so much, I want to buy the 3GS and give my 16GB 3G to my wife so she stops drooling over mine.

Now the problem.

According to ATT store rep....they need special authorization to let me upgrade because it is an iPhone...when I first activated they said that was for activation only and that the upgrade (if I chose to) would be no problem. Now according to them I need to wait 1 week to upgrade while they get authorization.

So I call corporate 611 to confirm...Now it gets better!

Not only do I need special authorization to upgrade, I need to have a letter from my friend attesting that I bought the phone from him and how much i purchased it for. Then they have to set up a dispute to allow me to spend my money AFTER they check to make sure the phone isn't stolen.

How stupid can you get.

1) Its none of their businesss how much I bought the phone for
2) if the phone was reported stolen, the IMEI number would have been kicked out as stolen when they activated it
3) If it was that big of a deal why didn't they check to make sure it wasn't stolen when i first activated it?
4) why is it so hard when I WANT to give them money?

I don't know if I should be pissed or laugh at the stupidity of the situation.

Just wanted to rant :)

Jim

JPSwartz1

Bronze
Apr 19, 2009
Colorado Baby!
Just get the 3Gs on your wife's phone line. Switch the sims then call AT&T and let them know you traded phones.

You don't even have to call AT&T. I just did exactly this and just switched sim cards, now i have my wifes 3GS and she has my 3G. It even shows the phones correctly under my account on AT&T wireless.com. Just make sure to activate the 3GS under your wife's line before doing the sim switch, and of course backup the 3G. I was amazed at how easy it was, even the activation. I must have got lucky!

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Unfortunately we just got our Bolds in February. I went online to check upgrade eligibility and the price for the 3GS is 499.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I agree with the other two posters...but, you should not have to extend your contract for this phone. You did not receive a subsidy from them, they have no legal grounds to extend your contract. Hound them until they fix it.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I agree with the other two posters...but, you should not have to extend your contract for this phone. You did not receive a subsidy from them, they have no legal grounds to extend your contract. Hound them until they fix it.
I've actually been thinking about getting an attorney's opinion like that.

They're whole argument doesn't make sense.

Checking the IMEI to make sure it's not stolen, cool...I understand, But why not do that when I first activated the 3G? Thus, it makes the argument non-sensical.

And frankly, I shouldn't have to tell ANYONE how much I paid for the frickin' phone or send them a "yes I sold it to him" letter. And that comes from a supposed "supervisor" at customer care.

And course, my preferred in store associate (who fixed things when I got my Bold) is on vacation.

BUT...I really REALLY want the 3GS....that's why I'm so upset. It seems insane they are stopping me from spending money from them. I'm ready to drop 3 large on them for the 32G 3GS and they are SET on not accepting my money. How crazy is that crap?

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Well the store manager called and got my authorization to upgrade the phone to 32GB 3GS.

Now I just have to go and pre-order because the store doesn't have any in stock LOL.

So I'm one step closer to being allowing to spend my money with ATT LOL.

Jim