FTC sues AT&T for limiting speeds on unlimited-data customers

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by Bennyboy, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'm actually with att on this one, which is shocking, but for crying out loud, does it have to be this slow?
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1414524190.245091.jpg

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Have you asked them about that? That is a bit much! That's hardly usable.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Those are actually some of the best I've seen at work, I usually get below 0.40 and no I haven't, I don't know how they can possibly help me besides switching to a different plan.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He has a grandfathered unlimited plan and being throttled by AT&T after exceeding the 5 GB soft cap. This is pretty standard.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I've seriously been sticking with it hoping that some day they would increase it to either 10gigs or at 2mb download while I'm throttled. But for $30 this is not worth it. I'll wait and see how this turns out, but after that I'm pretty much done.

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

It's about time. I'll sign up for the class action suit.

I switched to the MobileShare 10GB plan because of the throttling. I did save some $, but not if I exceed the 10GB limit unlike the unlimited.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I don't think it's worth it, either. I'd move to a mobile share plan.

9. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I heard this on the nbc nightly news with Brian Williams tonight. I was elated!! ATT screwed everyone. My biggest beef that I stated in some other lengthy thread in here was the fact that ATT did this in the middle of my contract. I had a 2 year contract at the time that I was somewhere in the middle of and they unilaterally changed the terms. If they wanted to change them at the time of the new contract, then that would have. Den fair. But they didn't. I hope the FCC and FTC nail them on this and force them to let us all back in under the terms we signed up for. THAT would be justice!!

10. EverythingApple

Gold

Yeah, than all of us should crash the system by using 100GB. Haha.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I hear people say all the time that they get a text when the throttle starts, any of you ever got that text or is it something I have to turn on?

12. EverythingApple

Gold

I got one, but I deleted it after I changed my plan to MobileShare 10GB.

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

What you pay if you don't mind me asking? I pay 86 a month, for "unlimited data" 200 texts and 450 minutes. I'm the only person on my plan.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Also, remember that not subsidizing saves you quite a bit on your monthly plan. I was eligible for full subsidy, but went with Next instead because of the monthly discount. I didn't have to pay anything except taxes on my phone upfront and my monthly bill only went up by $5 a month.

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Little late for that one thou. I'm just not familiar with this family share plan, can I just upgrade my data plan and keep my text messages and voice the same? I'm guessing no, correct? I just can't afford a $140 phone bill a month right now.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you on a single or family plan?

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

18. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I'm still on unlimited & I get throttled at 5GB like clockwork. I get no warning text or email. The issue I have is how they determine the top 5%, it must be some super secret formula. Also why should everyone get throttled every month as soon as they hit 5GB? Shouldn't it have some variation? I filed a BBB complaint a year & a half ago & did get a call from a less than cordial rep. He couldn't explain it to me either but did remove an upgrade few that previously couldn't be removed. A resolution that should have been instilled from the start would've been setting the cap closer to 10GB and/or throttling to 3G speeds instead of 0.5GBS

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A 10 GB single plan is $115 if you don't subsidize, and $140 if you do. That includes unlimited calling and texting.

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

So I was correct, if I switch now, since I subsidized it would cost me 140 a month?